Benefits of gum recession

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newbite

Benefits of gum recession

#1 Post by newbite »

Yes this is a little tongue in cheek 8) but actually true. Hey, we all have to appreciate what we have, right?

Benefits of gum recession:
1. You will never need cosmetic gum removal surgery.
2. You will never have to worry about your teeth looking too small.
3. My favorite--- your spacious black triangles will allow you to very easily floss with braces, and even with permanent retainers top AND bottom. ( Superfloss is your friend.)
4. You will never experience your gums growing up to or over your brackets (ick).
5. Essix and other retainers are less likely to irritate your gums because your gum line is so low.
6. You are less likely to get deep pocketing around your teeth because, hey, you hardly have any gums to trap bacteria!

:thumbsup:
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

djspeece

Re: Benefits of gum recession

#2 Post by djspeece »

That's what I call a positive attitude! Let me know what your dentist thinks :wink: .
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

newbite

#3 Post by newbite »

Hah my dentist would laugh and look at me funny. My periodontist would probably ignore me (he's down to business like that).

I thought of this when flossing my teeth one day with my new permanent retainers. It was SO easy! I couldn't understand why other people have such a hard time, then I realized it's because I have big ol' black triangles that the floss goes through easily. At least they are good for SOMETHING! :crazy:
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

Perloo

#4 Post by Perloo »

I had one gum graft surgery that failed and before my 2nd procedure (at a new practice) I asked the senior periodontist nurse why she thought the first didn't work out. She said "You just weren't blessed with a lot of gum. Some people are just blessed with a lot of gum." haha It was the most ridiculous explanation. I'm sure that she would be surprised to read this post.

newbite

#5 Post by newbite »

What kind of gum graft did you have? If it was connective tissue I wouldn't be surprised it didn't work out, since they have to make a pocket, and if you don't have a lot of gum tissue to begin with then there's nothing to really make a pocket with. I had a free gingival graft and it worked great. It didn't reduce my recession at all, but my gums are pretty much normal thickness now. I'm still enjoying my easy flossing! :jokerlaugh: