Estimated time for braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

musicbrace

Re: Estimated time for braces

#46 Post by musicbrace »

EWUgal15 wrote:
musicbrace wrote:I was told 18-24 months, but I know that's a general estimate.
I just had my one year anniversary 2 days ago :)

It's a big deal to me LOL
Nov 4 is your anniversary? Mine too! I feel pretty accomplished since they estimated at 18 months I would have surgery and I'm 6 months ahead of that schedule.

Nice!

That's awesome. Whats your secret? Are your gums extra clean :D

samoorelaw

#47 Post by samoorelaw »

Monday will start my second full round of braces (third technically if I count the partial braces installation I had removed last December). While my ortho said that he thinks he could fix my bite in 4 months, I was still given an estimated treatment time of 12-18 months, which is longer than my initial estimated treatment time of 12-15 months that turned into 21 months!

In other words, I have no clue how long it will take. I don't see how my issues this time will take that long to fix so I'm thinking he will want to keep me in braces to see if my posterior open bite does not return after being off elastics for a while and then remove them after months of no change. Either way, I will insist he doesn't take the braces off until I think everything is stable: while he said a slight surgical relapse caused my issues, I still believe he removed the braces the first time too early.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

EWUgal15

#48 Post by EWUgal15 »

musicbrace wrote:Nice!

That's awesome. Whats your secret? Are your gums extra clean :D
I definitely ramped up my cleaning game when I got my braces, even though I was pretty thorough before that, but I don't know if that's how I managed to keep so well on track with my anticipated treatment time. The surgery is actually on time. They said at a year in we would start planning...they figured it would take 3 months to get everything planned and scheduled because of life so when they said "about halfway through", I think they were expecting more like 15-18 months instead of exactly 12 :D

rey123

#49 Post by rey123 »

My orthodontist estimated 12 to 18 months. If I get this periodontal surgery which is a fiberotomy we can definitely do 12 months.

samoorelaw

#50 Post by samoorelaw »

I was given 12-18 months. The first time I had braces installed in 2012, I was told 12-15 months but it ended up being 21 months: 24 months if you count the fact I had to have partial braces reinstalled on the molars to correct a relapse. So If history has shown me something, I'm anticipating that it could take even longer than 18 months. Then again, I had to have surgery before so perhaps my ortho is overestimating because he underestimated the last time and he wants to ensure my posterior open bite stays closed this time. We'll see what happens...
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

parsleysage

#51 Post by parsleysage »

Estimated 30-33 months. I am on month 18. :cry: :ThumbsDown:

I think I will hit right at 30 months (2.5 years) based on comments from my orthodontist. I am hoping next year's Christmas present will be permanently removing my braces!!! :jump:

diamant

#52 Post by diamant »

26 months for me. :|

Mufti

#53 Post by Mufti »

My estimated time is 24 months, I have severe crowding, overbite and crossbite.

PurpleButterfly

#54 Post by PurpleButterfly »

3 years for me, with jaw surgery planned after 2 years. Only had braces for 2 weeks so far so it feels like a long wait ahead of me!

chrisgemini1985

#55 Post by chrisgemini1985 »

I've been told 18 months for mild overcrowding (bottom) and moderate overcrowding (top). I'm about 6 hours into treatment! :)

braces25

#56 Post by braces25 »

Mine is 2 years but that could change since i have an impacted canine that has to move into place

Kaelyn

#57 Post by Kaelyn »

Ortho estimated ~18 months. 2 weeks in now though and it's easy so I guess I don't mind. I was so worried about my looks but I think it actually makes me smile more!

octshio

#58 Post by octshio »

i was told i need 2-3 years

N8kpx

#59 Post by N8kpx »

At first it was 24 months. That led to 24-30 months. The top braces have been in almost 24 months and the bottom braces have been in for 16 months. My lower teeth in the front have been crawling. My Orthodontist described it by saying it was like moving them through concrete. My age is certainly not helping (43 yrs. old). I'm supposed to get a new estimated time at the next appointment. I hope it's not another 12 months!!!

Oversmite

#60 Post by Oversmite »

I've been told that it's 18 months minimum. He keeps stressing the word "minimum". So I'm pretty sure that this is just my life now. :D

I'm also a bit worried as I'm not getting my wisdom teeth out until much later in the year (I'm on a wait list) so I hope that doesn't impact things too much. I hope nothing moves around in a bad way!

-MM