Not sure what to do anymore.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Featheryy1221

Not sure what to do anymore.

#1 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Hi guys,

Today I'm writing this in hopes for some help in what to do. As some of you may remember, I've been having issues with retainers breaking after only 5 months of being out of braces. This issue is not getting fixed. :(

I had two cracks in my top retainer in Novemeber (one near my back molars, one on my incisor tooth). I went in to have a new retainer made, and they made me molds for a bite splint. Previously I had issues with both retainers breaking. All of the breakages happened while taking my retainers OUT. (Minus one where there was teeth shifting).

They didn't replace my top retainer despite the fact the incisor tooth area was cracked and my teeth weren't being held right. Instead they trimmed the back cut piece off because they "aren't worried about the back teeth." Finally last week I got my bite splint and was told by the new girl that works there that I was supposed to wear the bottom retainer WITH my bite splint. I specifically asked her this question because I was curious.

I woke up this morning to cracks in my lower retainer. Which is what I've been trying to avoid since getting retainers. The whole point of the bite splint was to NOT have to get new retainers. Well, I called over and was informed the girl was WRONG and I am supposed to wear my bottom retainers 3 hours before putting in my bite splint and to take my bottom retainers out after inserting my bite splint.

My teeth shift after 12 hours without retainers.

I've been down to 12 hour wear since month 2/3 without braces (which to me is ridiculous). Unfortunately with how busy my schedule has been and my difficulty with getting these retainers out, I've stuck to their 12 hour only timeframe instead of wearing them longer like I think I should be doing still. I only have 15 minutes for a lunch break at work and five (+) of those minutes would be taken up by just taking those stupid things out and putting them back in. When I was in 24/7 wear I wasn't even taking them out, thus couldn't eat at work, causing me to lose weight (which for me is bad).

I don't know what to do.

The girl thinks I should stick with this stupid bite splint and wear it overnight and just wear my bottom retainers for a few hours.

But I know they'll shift. I feel more comfortable wearing top and bottom retainers. The bite splint is so large in my tiny mouth and it's not comfortable. I can't close my mouth at all properly. And it just reminds me of my time with my awful bonded palatal expander. I don't wear it when I stay at my boyfriends place because it's embarrassing to me. My jaw joints are also sore throughout the day. I just don't think it works.

I don't know if maybe I should get new top and bottom retainers so I can wear those every once in a while and just do the bite splint thing occasionally when I'm home. I'm going to buy the Invisalign removal tool so I can get my retainers out easier.

I'm just lost as to what to do. And I'm frustrated I've had so many problems. The ortho office thinks buying new retainers is a waste because I'll break the retainers again. I've had so many issues where they just won't listen to me. I don't know if it's time to just move on. Or what.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for listening/reading through my ranting.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Tyrantblade

Re: Not sure what to do anymore.

#2 Post by Tyrantblade »

I think i would move on since there must be something wrong and at least part of it has got to be on them, there must be another orthodontist office in your area that will actually do what you need and give you the service you should be getting
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

EWUgal15

#3 Post by EWUgal15 »

Have you considered visiting another orthodontist for a consult about retainers? If your current orthodontist isn't listening to you or solving your problems, maybe it's time to find another one that will. Even if it's just for retainers. If you're willing to go the distance and pay more money for more durable retainers after having braces for almost 2 years, your orthodontist should be willing to work with you and do what it takes.

metalliKa

#4 Post by metalliKa »

Wow! Yes, I remember! Do they make their own retainers in house? Sometimes those are not as durable as those made in an actual lab. If the retainers cracked more than once then the retainers are junk! If finance is not an issue for you, I'd get a second opinion. Time to severe ties.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Featheryy1221

#5 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I have considered going to another orthodontist to just get retainers made. I'm just not sure how to go about it. I went to both orthos near me to get consultations pre-braces so I'm not sure they'll help me.

My ortho does make the retainers in the office. My top retainer now was a thinner plastic than my original retainer, which is strange to me. I've heard though that it shouldn't make a difference where they are made. But idk.

Do you guys think I should have retainers made somewhere else? My office isn't even concerned about the bottom retainers being cracked. I don't think they want to bother with me anymore. And they don't want me to "pay more." Basically trying to save me money, but it's really not going to in the long run.

I'm pretty disappointed in general though because I feel like my braces were taken off too early. My bottom teeth have shifted some despite being compliant with their instructions (I know that can happen, but it's still disappointing). I think eventually when I can find a better job and have money saved (or even have adult braces covered by insurance), I may go through this process again. :/

Thank you all for replying. I really appreciate the help!

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

ItsFreyja

#6 Post by ItsFreyja »

You can definitely walk into a new office and get retainers made. My ortho charges $350 for this (I know because it was an option I considered before going full braces). Sounds like maybe you should at least go have a consult that involves a frank conversation about your retention needs.

If you like Essix-style retainers, people have said the Vivera retainers are a more durable alternative; I would look for an Invisalign provider who uses the iTero scanner. Or you might look into finding an ortho who is willing to do some minor tooth movement for you via retainers (Essix or Hawley). I really don't know what to make of the degree of difficulty you're experiencing with removing and maintaining retainers; it definitely seems outside of the norm. Perhaps another provider can communicate better with you to get to the bottom of your issues.

Tyrantblade

#7 Post by Tyrantblade »

It definitely wouldn't hurt to at least try another orthodontist office, even if you didn't go with them to begin with, they should be professional and talk with you about your concerns and what they can do for you
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17