Start of my journey

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sheilas

Start of my journey

#1 Post by sheilas »

I am 3 weeks into my braces.
Even though my initial plan was to have extractions, my orthodontist is trying the non-extraction approach first. I may need it down the line but hoping it won't come down to that.

Attached is a photo of my teeth. Sorry for the black and white photo, but those are my teeth at the time of consultation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

onwardsandupwards

Re: Start of my journey

#2 Post by onwardsandupwards »

Hi! Congratulations on beginning your journey :) Have you noticed any changes in your first 3 weeks?

sheilas

#3 Post by sheilas »

Very little changes visibly but noticeable during flossing.

1. Gap in the top left lateral incisor. Also floss just shoots in with no effort compared to trying to jiggle it in previously.
2. Tiny gap appearing at the bottom of my lower two incisors that wasn't there before.

Not bad for 3 weeks in.

Again, I am a non-extraction case, so keen to see how much more things move before we go the extraction route.

sheilas

My Braces Journey at age 37

#4 Post by sheilas »

Went for my first month checkup. According to the ortho, my teeth have moved a fair bit. They want to leave the same wire for a bit longer as they seem to be effectively (and slowly) moving my teeth. Photo is after my clean this morning. I don't notice anything when I look at the photo, but I do notice the gap in between my lower incisors, my top lateral top left incisor and lateral. I have a midline discrepancy, and I can see it has started to move a bit towards the right now.

Can you see any other changes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ItsFreyja

#5 Post by ItsFreyja »

That's a great first month! Those incisors are definitely starting to unravel, and I bet the next few months will be very rewarding for you as things move along. You have such nicely shaped and white teeth that the end result has the potential to be really awesome!

sheilas

#6 Post by sheilas »

Thanks. My top incisors were the reason I was called Bugs Bunny all my life! I am glad I can do something about it now.

aspiromusings

#7 Post by aspiromusings »

Welcome to the braced club and congratulations for taking the plunge

Hows it going so far? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Blog - http://aspiroisbraced.blogspot.com/

Top Braces on 20th March 2015

Bottom braces on 28th August 2015

Top premolars extracted 25th April 2015

Debraced 15th December 2017 :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-*

sheilas

#8 Post by sheilas »

Hi aspiromusings. It is going well. Had my first month checkup together with hygiene treatment on Wednesday last week. Wire was taken off for the clean and put back on. they didn't give me the stronger wire this time, but my mouth hurt a lot after the wire was put back on. I was told that it will hurt.

The pain did disappear after 1-2 days, but my second bicuspid in the upper left hurt continuously for 3 days. It was hard to chew or brush at all in that area! Pain has now subsided and I am back to chewing again.

My front teeth(upper and lower) feel very tight and sensitive with any sort of pressure. I accidentally hit my lower jaw/teeth by accident last night while trying to pull up my duvet cover. It was throbbing like mad, not in a painful way though - feels really weird. I was afraid I may have done some damage!

I can see progress (somehow they don't show up in my selfies). Gaps are apparent in all my lower incisors. I can see my lower left lateral incisor on the move, as there is now a tiny gap between that and my lower left canine. My upper right canine also hurt a bit last night so I am thinking it is on the move too.

I am excited to check my teeth every chance I get when in the bathroom!

aspiromusings

#9 Post by aspiromusings »

sheilas wrote:Hi aspiromusings. It is going well. Had my first month checkup together with hygiene treatment on Wednesday last week. Wire was taken off for the clean and put back on. they didn't give me the stronger wire this time, but my mouth hurt a lot after the wire was put back on. I was told that it will hurt.

The pain did disappear after 1-2 days, but my second bicuspid in the upper left hurt continuously for 3 days. It was hard to chew or brush at all in that area! Pain has now subsided and I am back to chewing again.

My front teeth(upper and lower) feel very tight and sensitive with any sort of pressure. I accidentally hit my lower jaw/teeth by accident last night while trying to pull up my duvet cover. It was throbbing like mad, not in a painful way though - feels really weird. I was afraid I may have done some damage!

I can see progress (somehow they don't show up in my selfies). Gaps are apparent in all my lower incisors. I can see my lower left lateral incisor on the move, as there is now a tiny gap between that and my lower left canine. My upper right canine also hurt a bit last night so I am thinking it is on the move too.

I am excited to check my teeth every chance I get when in the bathroom!
Yes make sure you take plenty of pictures so you get to document you progress - i take a set every night before i go to sleep, the more you see progress the more you're motivated to stick with it

And yes it is normal to have some or all of your teeth ache, its because they're moving - I had my bottom braces put on about a week or so ago and I'm still experiencing some sensitivity when I chew hehe

How are you doing with your diet? Any foods you've had to avoid so far?

sheilas

#10 Post by sheilas »

My diet is working great for me. I got into a soup diet earlier this year (to prepare for Bora Bora), so post braces it wasn't a surprise. My favorite soups are broccoli/white bean/cheddar soup and lentil soup (with load of veggies in it, like carrot, beans, spinach etc) for work lunches. I avoid eating meals, opting for soup instead, as it's easier to clean teeth at work that way! Croissant/banana, soft bread/smooth peanut butter, grated apple in porridge, hash brown/baked beans/eggs and banana pancakes are my current breakfast items.

I am anemic, so have to be careful about what I eat anyway. I had a vegetarian diet with white meat all my life so don't miss red meat. I can eat most vegetables (pumpkin, cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower, soft carrot, soft beans, jackfruit etc). I do eat a lot of spinach, but that takes extra time to clean as it gets wrapped around the coils!

Eating chicken is a hit and miss, as some days I can chew them, some days I can't. I find it easier to get mince chicken instead. I keep trying to eat different foods each day, as mouth changes a lot everyday. Fish is my absolute favorite, so easy and healthy to eat. Tofu is also another great item to have around. I recommend Thai tofu curry with loads of veggies in it!

I miss not being able to snack on corn chips (or anything crunchy) :( . However, I am glad i ate 2 bags of potato chips (and crunchy dips) the weekend before my braces went on! I have lost a lot of weight (attributed to non-existent snacking), so not a bad thing!

I don't have a sweet tooth, so don't miss the usual sweet stuff. I will, however, go on a cheesecake eating binge once the braces come off!

aspiromusings

#11 Post by aspiromusings »

sheilas wrote:My diet is working great for me. I got into a soup diet earlier this year (to prepare for Bora Bora), so post braces it wasn't a surprise. My favorite soups are broccoli/white bean/cheddar soup and lentil soup (with load of veggies in it, like carrot, beans, spinach etc) for work lunches. I avoid eating meals, opting for soup instead, as it's easier to clean teeth at work that way! Croissant/banana, soft bread/smooth peanut butter, grated apple in porridge, hash brown/baked beans/eggs and banana pancakes are my current breakfast items.

I miss not being able to snack on corn chips (or anything crunchy) :( . However, I am glad i ate 2 bags of potato chips (and crunchy dips) the weekend before my braces went on! I have lost a lot of weight (attributed to non-existent snacking), so not a bad thing!

I don't have a sweet tooth, so don't miss the usual sweet stuff. I will, however, go on a cheesecake eating binge once the braces come off!
Haha thats great! In my experience after a while food wise it will be back to business as usual or finding more creative ways to eat things lol

I did struggle with eating a bag of doritos just the other day and was quite sad lol

sheilas

#12 Post by sheilas »

It's been 1 month and 2 weeks into my journey now. Took a photo as of today (21/09). See attached.

Unfortunately, the changes I am noticing does not appear to be that visible in the photo. For example, bottom incisors have a bigger gap in them now compared to my last post. My bottom left lateral incisor is moving also, as there is a slight gap between that and the lower left canine and lower incisor.

Also, my upper left canine has started to shift (down or back?) as the gap opens up. I have also noticed a teeny weeny gap (like a dot) at the top intersection of my upper incisors. Floss is going in much easier there now.

Both my front upper and lower teeth are feeling really tight and bit tender today. That means they must be moving right?

Have a look and let me know what changes you can see, cos from the photo, they are not so obvious in my opinion!

sheilas

#13 Post by sheilas »

1 month 3 weeks in. Had the springs removed (thank goodness). My lower teeth have had a lot of movement. Upper incisors have just started to unravel, so won't see anything till at least another 2-3 weeks.
IMG_6387.JPG

sheilas

#14 Post by sheilas »

My teeth 2 months 1 week in.

The bottom left lateral incisor has come a lot forward now and midline is shifting more to the centre.

My top incisors have started to unravel and I have noticed that the rotation isn't that big compared to when it initially was.
IMG_6427.JPG

sheilas

#15 Post by sheilas »

4 months into my journey. Upper left canine(fang) has come down significantly. Today, I had all my 4 second molars engaged. Things are looking pretty good!!
4 months.JPG