what do/did you hate the most at parts of your treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tyrantblade

what do/did you hate the most at parts of your treatment?

#1 Post by Tyrantblade »

The thing ive hated the most constantly since i got braces is the bite turbos

At first i hated how they stopped my only teeth that used to touch from touching, i know its for a good reason and just thought its only temporary and stopped getting annoyed by them so much

Well eventually they wore down and my bite got more comfortable, even though still way off (still quite early in treatment) so i felt good with how things were going

Well at my first adjustment they built them back up, now i so hate them again and im wondering how much longer they will keep building them back up

I know the answer is it varies, but im not in a hurry to get my braces off, i would be so happy just to not need the bite turbos anymore
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

EWUgal15

Re: what do/did you hate the most at parts of your treatment?

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

My mouth is banded shut post jaw surgery. Not being able to use silverware to eat is what I hate most. Aside from the given "not being able to eat anything solid" thing.

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

I think I most hate the part I'm in now. My bite is still not completely fixed after the surgery. So it's harder to chew, I can't open my mouth very far, I have numb patches, and I have no clue when the braces are coming off! So frustrating.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Had to be the elastics.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

newbite

#5 Post by newbite »

I hate my retainers, they make my jaw hurt and mess up my bite. I would *almost* prefer braces. At least with braces the only pain I had was normal tooth-moving pain.

It's possible some of this pain is from my crown, so I can't entirely condemn my retainers yet. They still suck, though. I'm probably going to look into hawleys, which suck in their own way because of the big stupid wires.
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

parsleysage

#6 Post by parsleysage »

Impressions. I still get awful shivers thinking about them.

Other than that, my biggest issues are food getting stuck and if I'm not compliant with my elastics, when I put them back on my teeth kill me.

NeilH

#7 Post by NeilH »

It has to be the dreaded impressions. Just thinking about it makes me feel like gagging.

Prometheus

#8 Post by Prometheus »

I'm with Neil and parsleysage in voting for impressions. I think I have the world's worst gag reflex, thought I was going to die.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

buffon85

#9 Post by buffon85 »

the extractions.. :?

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

Tyrantblade

#10 Post by Tyrantblade »

My orthodontist office actually has some sort of high tech 3d xray CAT scan machine that shows everything, so they don't do those regular impressions with the weird stuff like most places do/use to do.

I am glad to have avoided surgery or extractions though

I even might get up to 3 implants, but only 1 is a sure thing, though i have 2 huge holes from where teeth used to be on top (1 front tooth and 1 1st molar) and the one on the bottom that i lost was only a premolar and i can feel that there is more space opening up, so i think i may possibly get all 3, but the orthodontist will see what happens and plan accordingly

Im actually sort of intimidated by the thought of getting multiple implants, mostly from the cost, but i have heard of cheaper mini implants and hopefully things only get better/cheaper by late 2017
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

metalliKa

#11 Post by metalliKa »

Flossing! Flossing efficiently is a steep learning curve!
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Sparky

#12 Post by Sparky »

Hey!

I DEFINITELY hate the spacers/bite turbo thingies, they're a nightmare, I feel like a baby eating mushed up food because I can't bite down. Also, I'm a bit of a wuss, so I hate getting them tightened because it really hurts.

Anyone else?

Felina Grimm

#13 Post by Felina Grimm »

I hated the molar buildups because I couldn't break down my food properly and couldn't close my lips to chew my food, so I hated eating in front of others. I also hated impressions because my gag reflex is severe.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

rainbowcatcher

#14 Post by rainbowcatcher »

Tyrantblade wrote:The thing ive hated the most constantly since i got braces is the bite turbos

At first i hated how they stopped my only teeth that used to touch from touching, i know its for a good reason and just thought its only temporary and stopped getting annoyed by them so much

Well eventually they wore down and my bite got more comfortable, even though still way off (still quite early in treatment) so i felt good with how things were going

Well at my first adjustment they built them back up, now i so hate them again and im wondering how much longer they will keep building them back up

I know the answer is it varies, but im not in a hurry to get my braces off, i would be so happy just to not need the bite turbos anymore

Bite Turbos are temporary. They are usually removed after a few months...

Toxgirl

#15 Post by Toxgirl »

Elastics!! i got them yesterday and today i feel like my teeth are being pulled out very slowly. Even my nose hurts!!