Invisalign G5 for Deep Bite

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lala082008

Invisalign G5 for Deep Bite

#1 Post by Lala082008 »

Hi everyone! I'm supposed to get my braces on next week, but I've been reading about the Invisalign G5 for deep bite on this forum and wondering if that might be an option for me. I'm really scared of the idea of wearing braces for 2 years, but at the same time I have some bite/TMJ issues that I know I need to fix. Plus, I've always hated my teeth!

I have a deep bite as well as an overjet with moderate crowding on top. The orthodontists I saw didn't think I was a good candidate for Invisalign, but none of them mentioned this new technology to me. For those of you got the G5, did you have trouble finding an orthodontist who knew how to use the technology? I know it's new so I'm thinking not all of them are familiar with it. I live in Raleigh, NC in case that helps.

lilyflower

Re: Invisalign G5 for Deep Bite

#2 Post by lilyflower »

Lala082008 wrote:Hi everyone! I'm supposed to get my braces on next week, but I've been reading about the Invisalign G5 for deep bite on this forum and wondering if that might be an option for me. I'm really scared of the idea of wearing braces for 2 years, but at the same time I have some bite/TMJ issues that I know I need to fix. Plus, I've always hated my teeth!

I have a deep bite as well as an overjet with moderate crowding on top. The orthodontists I saw didn't think I was a good candidate for Invisalign, but none of them mentioned this new technology to me. For those of you got the G5, did you have trouble finding an orthodontist who knew how to use the technology? I know it's new so I'm thinking not all of them are familiar with it. I live in Raleigh, NC in case that helps.

Were any of the orthodontists you saw certified in Invisalign? In my case my ortho suggested it immediately for me at the consult. While more advanced it still can't treat everything and not sure how it works with TMJ. If the consults you had were from orthodontists certified in Invisalign and they all said you weren't a candidate, you really might not be
The problems:
Lower crowding, a slightly rotated upper canine and a deep bite

Invisalign G5 started Oct 12, 2015
Attachments: 21
Total number of trays: 28 upper, 38 lower
Estimated treatment time: 18 months
Follow my progress http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49130

Lala082008

#3 Post by Lala082008 »

Yes, they did offer Invisalign as an option. They weren't preferred providers or anything like that. I'm wondering if I should try consulting the ortho listed as a "top 1%" Invisalign provider in my area.

Lala082008

#4 Post by Lala082008 »

Here's a picture from my consult. I will post a follow up once I talk to 1 or 2 more orthodontists.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mindinggaps

#5 Post by mindinggaps »

Interesting. I also have a deep bite and invisalign was mentioned as a possibility. I was however told it would be a slower and more challenging treatment and the results might not be as perfect as if I were to get conventional braces. I however also have a crossbite which complicates matter. From what I've heard though, invisalign is not the top choice for a deep bite which seems to be consistent with what you are being told.

lilyflower

#6 Post by lilyflower »

I think it also depends on what else needs to be done - in your case your teeth actually are fairly straight, you just have a deep bite.

In mine, the deep bite is likely partially caused by lower crowding. One of my lower incisors is set way back.

My bite needs correction but this is IMO, the major problem in my case:
The problems:

Lala082008

#7 Post by Lala082008 »

I wanted to post a follow up about my planned treatment, especially in case others who have similar problems (severe deep bite, overjet, Class II Malocclusion, crowding) may be trying to find out if they can do Invisalign instead of braces. I saw an orthodontist today who is one of the top 1% Invisalign providers in North America (meaning he treats more patients with Invisalign). I found him through the Invisalign website, which lets you know who in your area treats the most Invisalign patients. The other orthodontist I saw (who said I wasn't a candidate for Invisalign) was listed as "Preferred" on the Invisalign website and didn't have as much experience with complicated cases like mine.

The doctor I saw today said that I am a candidate for Invisalign, and my outcome will be almost as good as with braces. For me, not having braces is totally worth not having quite as perfect an outcome. The main difference he said is that with braces he would pull two teeth, and with Invisalign he would pull no teeth. I have the option to get jaw surgery, and can even do the surgery with Invisalign. I'm still deciding if I would consider surgery, but I'm pretty set on doing Invisalign now. He said he will use the attachments on my teeth (like lilyflower talked about) and that I may or may not need the virtual bite ramps behind my top teeth. I will also need to use rubber bands to help align my jaw.

lilyflower

#8 Post by lilyflower »

Lala082008 wrote:I wanted to post a follow up about my planned treatment, especially in case others who have similar problems (severe deep bite, overjet, Class II Malocclusion, crowding) may be trying to find out if they can do Invisalign instead of braces. I saw an orthodontist today who is one of the top 1% Invisalign providers in North America (meaning he treats more patients with Invisalign). I found him through the Invisalign website, which lets you know who in your area treats the most Invisalign patients. The other orthodontist I saw (who said I wasn't a candidate for Invisalign) was listed as "Preferred" on the Invisalign website and didn't have as much experience with complicated cases like mine.

The doctor I saw today said that I am a candidate for Invisalign, and my outcome will be almost as good as with braces. For me, not having braces is totally worth not having quite as perfect an outcome. The main difference he said is that with braces he would pull two teeth, and with Invisalign he would pull no teeth. I have the option to get jaw surgery, and can even do the surgery with Invisalign. I'm still deciding if I would consider surgery, but I'm pretty set on doing Invisalign now. He said he will use the attachments on my teeth (like lilyflower talked about) and that I may or may not need the virtual bite ramps behind my top teeth. I will also need to use rubber bands to help align my jaw.
How deep is your overbite? Mine was 60% and was told no surgery and no rubber bands. I do have the virtual ramps as mentioned which has pushed my lower jaw forward with the invisalign in. They're really not that bothersome as they're not sharp and don't cut up my tongue in any way. I do get to go from 4 to 3 on the next aligner on Monday. Odd thing is that it's happened over several days, not immediately

Day 1: Image

Day 7: Image

More pics of my bite and attachments on my thread under "Our Braces Stories" link in my signature.
The problems:

Lala082008

#9 Post by Lala082008 »

I wanted to follow up on this thread and say that I met with several providers who handle many Invisalign cases and they thought I would be a candidate for Invisalign. Basically, my results won't be quite as perfect as with braces, but for me as long as I can get pretty close I'm ok with it. I've ordered my trays and will start treatment as soon as they come in (hopefully before Christmas).

I'm also still exploring the possibility of doing jaw surgery as well but my consult for that isn't until January.

lilyflower

#10 Post by lilyflower »

Lala082008 wrote:I wanted to follow up on this thread and say that I met with several providers who handle many Invisalign cases and they thought I would be a candidate for Invisalign. Basically, my results won't be quite as perfect as with braces, but for me as long as I can get pretty close I'm ok with it. I've ordered my trays and will start treatment as soon as they come in (hopefully before Christmas).

I'm also still exploring the possibility of doing jaw surgery as well but my consult for that isn't until January.
Cool, that's hopefully you can start before the holidays. After 5 weeks here's where I am bitewise:
IMG_3952.JPG
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3953.JPG
So you can see that some things ARE starting to touch in the back. As my lower crowding improves this will continue so thankfully I won't need the surgical consults but according to my clinchek around tray 11 or 12 the lower crowding resolved and then things will be straightened and rest of the bite work will happen (the extrusion/intrusion phase)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The problems:

DrJasonKTam

#11 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Whether you are a candidate for Invisalign depends on the experience of the doctor and the severity of your malocclusion. You don't buy Invisalign as a product, but rather a doctor's treatment using Invisalign... i.e. your results will differ depending on the doctor you choose.

G5 technology isn't really that much different than Invisalign with different attachments. In fact, many top doctors do not use these new attachments and features, without any issue.

Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

audax719

#12 Post by audax719 »

Have you considered lingual braces?

I just started treatment for a deepbite (class 2 div2).I was given the option of getting lingual braces on the top..but I went with ceramic ones. Braces offer orthos far more control vs aligners. Deep bites are challenging to correct and it would be best if you give the ortho and yourself the best possible chance of getting it right..
Ask if you might be a candidate for a bite corrector like biobite or forsus..

I tried invisalign..it's really slow and the final results are not good..getting the right bite is crucial..one can compromise on minor anterior teeth misalignment, but getting a right bite makes a huge difference. Your jaws relax( no strain because you don't have to hold it at an unnatural angle)..your mouth doesn't stay half open..good tongue posture..