Bands on the very back molars?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KayKay

Bands on the very back molars?

#1 Post by KayKay »

Anyone here have bands on the very back molars? Braces on last January - with lower bands on the next to last molars and upper - brackets on the upper next to last molar. Today, it was decided that I will get spacers and bands on those back molars to bring those teeth in line with the archwire.

What do I expect?
Looking forward to the new smile,
KayKay

EWUgal15

Re: Bands on the very back molars?

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

Having bands put on your rear molars will be exactly like having bands put on your lower first molars. Getting spacers a second time around is much easier because your teeth have been moving and are a little more friendly to the idea of moving more. At the appointment to fit and bond the bands, the tech (or doctor) will remove your arch wire and try different size bands to get the right fit...then they will put the glue on the one they like best, place the band around your tooth, scrape off any excess glue, and harden everything up with the UV light. It will probably take about half an hour to add two bands to your current set up. Then they will replace your arch wire, but it will be longer to engage the newly banded teeth. You might be sore for a few days, but it shouldn't be any worse than a regular adjustment.

EWUgal15

#3 Post by EWUgal15 »

OH! And you might need wax for a few days as your cheeks adjust to the new bands.

BeautifulDisaster

#4 Post by BeautifulDisaster »

I agree on the wax. I have very rarely needed wax while in braces, but I remember going through some pesky poking when my back molars were bracketed. It's a little annoying to reach back there to floss (sometimes I have scabs in the corners of my mouth from tugging too much during flossing), but other than that, you will get adjusted to them like the rest of your braces.

27 year old female
Traditional braces: clear uppers, metal lowers
Expected treatment time: 24 months
Brace story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=47574

KayKay

#5 Post by KayKay »

Thanks Ladies! I appreciate your comments and help. :)

My question isn't as much about the process - I have other bands in my mouth - but now that I've been in my braces for 10 months - without the use of my last (#7?) molars in the treatment, the rest of my teeth in the archwire - are in a different line than those #7 molars - substantially. In face #6 molars - along with the reset of my teeth appear to be more narrow - than my #7 molars.

Definitely a surprise to need the bands at this point in my treatment.

So I didn't know if others - after months in a routine - had to change up and add more brackets or bands to fix something that seemed to be going amiss?

I was put in my spacers this week - and will go back in another week (10 days in spacers) to get 4 bands. I'm not looking forward to it. Those #7 molars already rub against my inner cheek....and ouchie on the spacers!
Looking forward to the new smile,
KayKay

JohnsonSon

#6 Post by JohnsonSon »

This happened to both me and my friend who recently had braces.

We both had to get bands on our 7's. It was to pull our 6's in line with the rest of our teeth. They sat further in. Honestly, it made no difference. I remember noticing it for like a few days then it was business as usual.

jfriend33

#7 Post by jfriend33 »

I always wondered about space closure post treatment when all 6's and 7's are banded. I wonder if its ever caused any issues? Guess they could always fine tune via MTM post ortho.

EWUgal15

#8 Post by EWUgal15 »

jfriend33 wrote:I always wondered about space closure post treatment when all 6's and 7's are banded. I wonder if its ever caused any issues? Guess they could always fine tune via MTM post ortho.
I had the bands taken off my upper 7s yesterday...and there's no space left between the 6 and 7 today.