August/September surgery buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

adorkable8605

Re: August/September surgery buddies

#76 Post by adorkable8605 »

Good luck slewsmissy! I packed a lot of stuff and never even got a chance to use one thing...lol. I brought my laptop, but slept basically the whole time in the hospital. When I woke up, I used my phone and watched a tiny bit of tv. I talked okay and changed as soon as I got chance. Other than that I didn't touch a book or my laptop. If I had to stay one more night though I probably would have used my laptop or other things. So, it depends on your length of stay.

Good luck and eat something yummy!

kim3721

#77 Post by kim3721 »

Hi guys!

I had my lower jaw surgery yesterday morning at 8am after checking in at 6am. It was pretty horrible, the nurses couldn't kind my veins and keep poking new holes in me. I cried leaving the admitting center all the way to the operation table. I even cried after the mean nurse told me I had to go home right after surgery -- I was extremely overwhelmed and under a lot of anxiety. Got home and had some chicken broth and threw up all of it. To sum it all up it was a bad first day and I really regretted everything once I got to the operation table. It is now day 2 and I'm doing just a tad bit better. My face is pretty swollen and I can't seem to get a good schedule for alternating between when to ice and when to not. Having my jaw wired shut sucks and I don't think I'll be back at school next week like I was hoping for, I really don't want my grades to slip. Its also pretty hard to eat due to the fact that mostly everything blended is disgusting :oops: . I'm so out of it so I can't really pay attention enough to read how my surgery buddies are doing -- in fact its hard for me to even type this. I did film a pre-op video that I will post a link to here -- eventually. I hope everyone is doing fine and are looking forward to any upcoming surgeries!

adorkable8605

#78 Post by adorkable8605 »

Oh Kim, I'm so sorry that it has been so awful for you. I had the same issue with my veins and in surgery they even had to re-do my IV. I can't believe that they were so harsh with you and that you went home right out of surgery. I was so anxious and out of it right after surgery, there is no way I could go home.

I iced basically nonstop the first few days and didn't really touch heat until about 1.5 weeks. I'm now at exactly 3 weeks post op and I still use heat...I'm not sure if it does anything...but it feels good...haha.

I started school at the two week mark, I couldn't have gone back at the 1 week mark...I looked like a swollen, beat up balloon (bruising was out a control). School is good, so far, but I do constantly think about my face and the tingling...so sometimes I'm a bit distracted...but not too much.

Eating is tough...I couldn't use a cup because my lip was like three times its normal size and the surgeon said no straws...so I sipped everything and made a huge mess. I started eating small bits of real food on like day 3; it was tiring, but totally worth it. Now, I can sorta fit a spoon in my mouth and I eat almost anything. I really want a sandwich though, a media noche (basically a cuban sandwich on soft yummy bread) would rock my world at this point. Being wired shut would be crazy hard...I'd find some yummy meal replacements and stick to that until you get the wires out...How long do you have to be wired shut?

It'll definitely get better in the next few days....I just recommend icing to your hearts content...It helped my swelling so much...When I went to my one week appointment my surgeon was blown away by my lack of swelling.

kim3721

#79 Post by kim3721 »

Hello Adorkable,

Thanks for replying, much appreciated. I hope to blow away my surgeon with my future lack of swelling as well. Today, is the end of day 3 -- which has probably been the worst day so far. I never actually lost feeling in my lower jaw, just 90% numbness, im guessing the numbness is starting to leave because I can feel a constant burning around the area. I apologize in advance for not being 100% focused on the thread and how others are doing and being short -- I've been on heavy medication which makes it hard to stay focus or alert for more than 20 minutes. I hope you continue to have a great recovery!

JMP75

#80 Post by JMP75 »

Does anyone have pain in their ear or ears when they swallow? My right tmj is hurting when I open and when I swallow I get some pain there. Is it temporary??

kelse

#81 Post by kelse »

Jmp75 I have pressure in my ears - sometimes feels like I'm under water or on a plane, but sometimes it goes really clear & I can hear everything properly. I'm hoping this subsides over time as it's an unpleasant sensation

JMP75

#82 Post by JMP75 »

Apparently from the maxilla surgery, it disrupts where your palate muscles attach and you get Eustachian tube symptoms (pain with swallowing, feeling underwater). It should subside my dr said.

kelse

#83 Post by kelse »

Thanks for the reassurance JMP75

slewsmissy

#84 Post by slewsmissy »

I survived but I feel horrible. My surgeon said everything went beautifully and according to him my swelling isn't horrible. My lips are the most swollen and they hurt. Here I was looking forward to being totally numb but surprise surprise I have a lot of feeling left all over my face which sucks because I can feel everything. Even on all the pain meds I feel awful and but can't seem to sleep more than 2 hours at a time. Part of me wishes I would've chickened out when I had the chance.
[/url]

kim3721

#85 Post by kim3721 »

Adorkable,

I was so out of it that I forgot to mention that I'm most likely going to be wired up until the 10th -- so, thats 2 weeks. My mom and I just finished reading your posts to me through Apple's speech dictation -- pretty hilarious to say the least! lol.

Jmp75,

I don't have pain when I swallow, but it may just be due to the fact that I didn't get upper jaw surgery as well.

Slewsmissy,

Welcome to the other side! I know how you feel, I still feel like crap and its the end of the 4th day for me. I almost wanted to back out once I was laying under the operation light on the table as well -- horrible feeling. I hope you continue to get better and is able to get some more sleep. Keep us updated!

kim3721

#86 Post by kim3721 »

Here's a weird question..

Has anyone been able to poop? Seriously. I'm going on my 5th day since operation and I haven't had any bowel movements yet.. kinda scary. I'm also down to 98lbs from 106lbs, should I be eating more? I admit I have been majorly slacking because its so hard to eat and takes some much effort.

I was also concerned about my surgeon.. before surgery he told me I would have a lower jaw advancement of 6-7mm.. He ended up going with 9mm! Has anyone else's surgeon change their mind once under the knife?

slewsmissy

#87 Post by slewsmissy »

I had surgery Tuesday morning and din't poop until late Thursday night. Of course they were worried about it when I was at the hospital and made me take a stool softener which I definitely didn't need because then once I started I didn't stop for awhile!! I haven't gone at all yesterday or today but I think it's from not eating much. I know I should be eating more but I'm a very picky eater anyway so that really limits what I will eat. Today I did get down some chicken broth and some sorbet along with my instant breakfast drink and juice.
[/url]

slewsmissy

#88 Post by slewsmissy »

Okay I have a question for everyone, when do you start to feel better? I've been so down in the dumps today and I know crying will make it worse but I just feel so icky! I'm tired and swollen and hungry. After the 2 week mark does it usually get better or the 3 week mark? I just want a round about time for when I wont feel like a puffy monster!!
[/url]

adorkable8605

#89 Post by adorkable8605 »

It's different for each person...I felt okay at about the 5 day mark and I was comfortable with my swelling at about 1 week. I'm now at 4 weeks post-op and I still don't feel normal (the splint doesn't help at all...haha). Mostly, I'm annoyed by the tingling and weird sensations, as well as, my limited range of motion.

I still feel swollen, especially in the morning and I have an awful time sleeping...I typically sleep on my side or stomach, but it is not comfortable right now.

It definitely gets better each day and ice helped the swelling a lot...

kelse

#90 Post by kelse »

Hi all, hope you recovery is progressing ok.

I'm banded to make adjustments, and may have a infection in one of the plates in my lower jaw. I've just to keep an eye on it for now & notify them of any changes, but it is a worry.

The worst thing for me at the moment tho is my hearing. I feel like I'm underwater all the time, ears crackling. I asked on July board & they said it's to do with your eustachean (sp?!) Tubes being disturbed & should ease, but it's quite tiring & a bit dizzyfying!!