anybody ever feel like they should be feeling more pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tyrantblade

anybody ever feel like they should be feeling more pain?

#1 Post by Tyrantblade »

If pain = progress, wouldn't no pain mean no progress or slow progress?

Maybe its because im still very early in treatment (got Damon Braces on the 11th) and in a thin/weak wire, but im also kinda surprised that since in already in Zebras (which I have looked up and are rated at heavy force, 4.5 ozs to be exact) they aren't causing any pain

Well I say no pain, but if I clocked the pain I felt during the whole day it probably wouldn't add up to 30 minutes (its like at times I feel a moment or two of pain and then nothing for hours)

But then again I do feel like my tongue can feel that a tiny gap between two teeth (that can't be seen with just my eyes) has gotten bigger since I got braces (it feels huge to my tongue, but maybe my tongue is deceiving me) so I don't know
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

NeilH

Re: anybody ever feel like they should be feeling more pain?

#2 Post by NeilH »

I think it's a bit of a myth that orthodontics has to be painful. It's true that everyone has a unique experience and perceives discomfort differently but throughout my treatment have experienced no pain at all. There have been times when it's been a bit sore for a couple of days particularly after an adjustment but skilled orthodontists will select just the right amount of force to enable the bone remodelling to take place without causing damage to your teeth. I found the first few weeks just felt tight, the soreness only really started a few months in once I was in stiffer wires.

DrJasonKTam

#3 Post by DrJasonKTam »

We have patients that experience no discomfort at all after initial bonding and others that say their teeth were sore for up to about 2 weeks later. Some feel nothing after each adjustment and others feel sore for a few days after. Each person's experience is going to depend on their biology, pain tolerance, movements desired, etc.

Here are a couple of examples to illustrate:

1. Some people have their wisdom teeth extracted and no issues right away. Others are swollen for up to a week. Some of the teeth were impacted and required bone removal whereas others were taken out after being erupted. The skill of the doctor and method of removal will also factor in.

2. No pain, no gain is not true, particularly for our patients using AcceleDent. Their teeth are actually moving faster using Invisalign and AcceleDent than without it, and many do not feel any discomfort at all.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Mac123

#4 Post by Mac123 »

I haven't had as much pain as I thought. My tongue did swell due to an allergic reaction to something when they put my braces on and now I have to take Benadryl and that was painful, but as far as actual brace pain...No. When I do get a bit of pain it's from the rubbing and I pop some wax on and it's fine. What I get is twitching. It's not painful but weird. It feels like my teeth are twitching - like a twitch you get under your eye. It's a very strange experience. So far things have not been as bad as I expected. Although, I have been warned that once they put my powerchain on that could all change! I think you can have gain without pain...

Felina Grimm

#5 Post by Felina Grimm »

I haven't had excruciating pain and have been worried about it myself because I associate pain with progression. Every person I know who has gone through treatment said that the pain was unbearable and that I wouldn't handle it because I'm an adult. It's one of the main reasons why it took so long for me to finally get braces (the other reason was because I wouldn't be able to keep them clean).

Once I got them, I was in pain and unable to eat solid food for a little more than a week but as long as I wasn't biting hard, the pain wasn't even that bad. When I got power chains and a wire change last month, I was back at square one for 3 days. Besides those times, I've been able to eat fine after adjustments with minor soreness. I got new power chains and another wire change to stainless steel rectangular wire last week and only had some soreness the same day.

I did talk to my ortho about my concern that I don't think I'm experiencing enough pain and that I was afraid it meant a lack of progression. She said I just have a high pain threshold and it has nothing to do with progression.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Tyrantblade

#6 Post by Tyrantblade »

Its nice to know that there can be progress without pain since ive had hardly no pain yet and of course when you spend Money and time on braces you want to know you are making progress

I should see a lot of progress at some point when im starting out with such a bad anterior open bite
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Felina Grimm

#7 Post by Felina Grimm »

Good to know I wasn't the only person here who felt they weren't experiencing enough pain. I have a 13 year old niece who started treatment at 12 who's having a much harder time with treatment than I am and I'm more than double her age. Pain is definitely subjective. Age doesn't always matter if you have a different threshold.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Kissyface30

#8 Post by Kissyface30 »

I got full metal top and bottom on 8/17 and I haven't had any pain either. Minor discomfort while chewing and a little rubbing of inner lips and that's it. I too was worried...
Crimes: overbite, overjet, spacing, mild crowding :-*
Sentence: 21 months :gavel:
Traditional metal upper & lower :BigTeethGrin:

metalliKa

#9 Post by metalliKa »

Pain is different for everyone. I happen to have tolerance for pain so I've only experienced soreness...thank goodness!
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

plugnickel69

#10 Post by plugnickel69 »

I had no pain except when I'd bite my cheek. I did have discomfort chewing the first couple of weeks, but other than that no pain, even with elastics.

jfriend33

#11 Post by jfriend33 »

I keep getting told its because I am highly motivated that my perception of pain has changed. I was comparing my braces pain now to 20 years ago...

I remember the pain going on for days and days and days. Now it seems like 2 or 3 days of tenderness and I'm good to go.

Now I will say with a new archwire paired with new TADs I have been forced to soft food/liquids for a week. Weight loss is fine by me though!