Molar build ups / turbos / bite plates

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

coryjames

Molar build ups / turbos / bite plates

#1 Post by coryjames »

How is it decided what one is needed for correcting a deep bite ?

Are they interchangeable ?

ItsFreyja

Re: Molar build ups / turbos / bite plates

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

They all hold your bite open, but since they each have different secondary effects, your ortho will choose which best serves your overall treatment plan.

I've had molar buildups for the last three months and they're not as bad as I was expecting. It seems like bite plates are being used less frequently with the rising popularity and low cost of bite turbos, but I imagine there are cases for which they're still best.

coryjames

#3 Post by coryjames »

My orthodontist has recommended a bite plate and I don't want it!!!! :)

I would prefer the build ups as I have read they are the easier of the 3 options to deal with, but still suck. I just don't want a lisp and to talk weird being a guy in his 30s and working in sales I don't think I could hadle that.

I will ask if I can have one of the other options, but she seemed pretty set on the bite plate when I questioned her about it.

Just to be clear I don't anything started yet......still trying to decide on my ortho have been to 3 and have 1 more to see. I just want to make the best choice:)

oldfart

#4 Post by oldfart »

Remember, you are paying for this. Tell the orthodontist what you are looking for and then ask if they can provide the service? Especially if you are in an area with multiple choices. Just be aware that if you ask them to do slightly different than their own ideas, it may take longer, and they may charge you more.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

ItsFreyja

#5 Post by ItsFreyja »

Oldfart is right, this is a detailed discussion you need to have with the orthos you are consulting. Orthodontists know how to weigh treatment alternatives and should be willing to explain their reasoning to you. To the one who is recommending a bite plate, you need to tell her why you don't want one, and you need to ask what specifically the alternatives are. She should explain to you why she prefers the bite plate and whether the alternatives would give you a worse result (how much worse?) or just take longer (how much longer?) so that you can make an informed decision.

coryjames

#6 Post by coryjames »

Very true thanks, although for some reason orthodontists don't take well to questioning "their plan" I inderstand they are the professionals and all, I just want to know why sometimes and I have seen some of them get all defensive when I was only curious. I just don't want to make them feel like I'm questioning their knowledge,

Now that I know they all do a similar thing I will try and make my request without upsetting them:)

Thanks

plugnickel69

#7 Post by plugnickel69 »

It's all in how you ask the question. Make the query about you, not about them. Share your concerns and fears. A good ortho will work with you, not take offense. By the way, fifty-some years ago when I had my first orthodontic experience, it seemed like almost everyone had a bite plate; they didn't use molar build-ups or bite turbos.

oldfart

#8 Post by oldfart »

You should question their knowledge. But also its like buying a car. Go in with as much of your own knowledge as possible, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

But you can also word it like a question.

"Is it possible to do ..... ", or "how much longer would it take if we did this.. as opposed to that".... Will have a lot better results than "I want you to do this..."
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

coryjames

#9 Post by coryjames »

I'm seeing my 4th ortho tomorrow , hope he's the one !!!

Thanks again for all the help:)

Can't wait to start my journal here, bring on the heavy metal;)

Bracefaceliane

#10 Post by Bracefaceliane »

How long will I have to have these blue dots on my 2 back molars. I think they are called molar build ups buy I want them off.

Tyrantblade

#11 Post by Tyrantblade »

Bracefaceliane wrote:How long will I have to have these blue dots on my 2 back molars. I think they are called molar build ups buy I want them off.
Who knows, its probably another one of those things that could take a few months, or could take a year or maybe more

However long it takes to allow your bite to become good enough for the orthodontist to take them off i guess
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Slader01

#12 Post by Slader01 »

I had the molar buildups on for about 4 months and they left me with a posterior open bite, when they were removed. I'm now wearing elastics to fix the open bite, however, my deep overbite is now corrected. i would not recommend bite turbo or molar buildup, as 6 weeks after the pillows were removed (and with wearing the elastics at nightime as instructed), the open bite is still there. very disappointing, as i feel that this is delaying my treatment. my orthodontist was actually surprised when she took the buildups off. she kept asked "are you sure you're biting down all the way?".. maybe my teeth are just weird but i feel like this is delaying my treatment. i wouldn't recommend them.

don't get me wrong, the open bite has gotten better, but my maxillary 1st premolars & canines still don't touch the mandibular adjacent teeth. my second molars aren't even banded/bracketed and they still have the open bite. however, my first molars & second premolars are contacting each other now.

ItsFreyja

#13 Post by ItsFreyja »

9igreen wrote:I had the molar buildups on for about 4 months and they left me with a posterior open bite, when they were removed. I'm now wearing elastics to fix the open bite, however, my deep overbite is now corrected. i would not recommend bite turbo or molar buildup, as 6 weeks after the pillows were removed (and with wearing the elastics at nightime as instructed), the open bite is still there. very disappointing, as i feel that this is delaying my treatment. my orthodontist was actually surprised when she took the buildups off. she kept asked "are you sure you're biting down all the way?".. maybe my teeth are just weird but i feel like this is delaying my treatment. i wouldn't recommend them.

don't get me wrong, the open bite has gotten better, but my maxillary 1st premolars & canines still don't touch the mandibular adjacent teeth. my second molars aren't even banded/bracketed and they still have the open bite. however, my first molars & second premolars are contacting each other now.
Hey 9igreen, I'm sorry this is frustrating for you. I am confident you will end with a great result, though. Keep in mind that it is MUCH harder to intrude teeth (which was necessary to fix your overbite) than extrude them (which will happen over the next couple of months as your bite closes), so I bet it will take a lot less than 4 months before you feel a lot better about your bite.

Slader01

#14 Post by Slader01 »

Hey 9igreen, I'm sorry this is frustrating for you. I am confident you will end with a great result, though. Keep in mind that it is MUCH harder to intrude teeth (which was necessary to fix your overbite) than extrude them (which will happen over the next couple of months as your bite closes), so I bet it will take a lot less than 4 months before you feel a lot better about your bite.[/quote]

Thanks so much for the reply. My bite is actually now starting to look a lot better! Once again, first premolars & canines still have a little while to go, but molars & second premolars are contacting each other as they should! Check out My post "molar buildups/bite turbos caused posterior open bite" , I have pictures of the movement & it's pretty amazing.