I HATE my Transpalatal Arch Space maintainer!!!!!!!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

30yearoldbraceface

I HATE my Transpalatal Arch Space maintainer!!!!!!!

#1 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

Who here has this horrid device?? I know I need it to keep my arch from changing shape due to my Canines needing that extra force to get them pulled down, but I absolutely HATE it.... its been over a month now and I still talk with a lisp - I find myself avoiding social gatherings etc as I feel that I cant speak normally and lisp ALOT when saying anything with an S /SH / C - very hard not to use words with these sounds :( :(

I have my next appointment with my ortho on the 17th, but want to know if this thing will be with me for the duration of my treatment or do they take it out once it has done what it was put in to do (ie. once my canine teeth are down where they are supposed to be?) - I cant begin to imagine having to keep this thing in for months and months to come :( - please tell me yours came out after a few months!?!

Skeetergirl

Re: I HATE my Transpalatal Arch Space maintainer!!!!!!!

#2 Post by Skeetergirl »

I have one also, along with a lower lingual arch. The lower one has rough sharp loops at the back and irritates my tongue. I have to always have wax (using OrthoSil instead because it doesn't have the waxy taste) on them when eating because it actually hurts and my tongue gets caught in it.

The TPA isn't too horrible except when something gets lodged in it and makes me gag a little. I've noticed that my speech is worse at night after all the rubbing and irritation at the end of the day. No stringy veggies or pasta for me!

I hope things get better for you soon. I also don't know how long these will be used during my treatment.

Braces, Transpalatal Arch and Lower Lingual Arch
Start Date: 05/20/2015 (1 week before my 56th birthday)
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Debond Date: 10/19/2017 (2 years 5 months)

Skeetergirl

#3 Post by Skeetergirl »

The offenders...

Braces, Transpalatal Arch and Lower Lingual Arch
Start Date: 05/20/2015 (1 week before my 56th birthday)
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Debond Date: 10/19/2017 (2 years 5 months)

roadmap9

#4 Post by roadmap9 »

I have something different—a palatal expander— to widen my upper arch but I feel your frustration. I had it for 6 months... it was probably the worse phase of my orthodontic journey so I am glad it's over. Eating and talking will suffer a little, just like the previous post said. I find that using a WaterPik will remove food that got stuck in the wire. Actually yours isn't that bad. Mine was actually a thin plate as compared to yours (wire) so food loved to hang out there. :) The only good thing that came out of this was I lost about 10 pounds but I've gained it all back and then some. Hang in there, once it is removed, you will do happy dance.

EWUgal15

#5 Post by EWUgal15 »

I will admit that I can't relate because I don't have these appliances...BUT! I am a serious nerd when it comes to this stuff and I also don't give too much thought to what other people think. So if it were me, I would own the lisp that comes with the appliances. Practice with it to turn it into a joke...if people are laughing with you, they aren't laughing at you.

I do hope you are free from your torture soon though. I'm sure it will be a big relief when you don't need it any more.

Ridingboots

#6 Post by Ridingboots »

I currently have a palate expander called a Quad helix and agree these sorts of things are more annoying then braces. Mine is real food catcher and if food get tangled in the expander it is a nightmare to get out, plus they are hard to talk properly with..... I can't wait to be rid of mine

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

BeautifulDisaster

#7 Post by BeautifulDisaster »

I had a transpalatal bar for 10 months. I just had it removed in my last appointment. It affected my speech for the first couple of days. I wasn't able to roll my Spanish rr's, and I my mouth would build up extra saliva. (I also stopped eating oranges because everything would get caught at the roof of my mouth.) It didn't take long for me to adjust my speech so that it was hardly noticeable. I hope you are able to adjust as well!

27 year old female
Traditional braces: clear uppers, metal lowers
Expected treatment time: 24 months
Brace story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=47574

30yearoldbraceface

#8 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

It has been 3 months and I still haven't regained my normal speech :( I still have a lisp with quite a few words - I feel embarrassed when talking to people, and find myself withdrawing myself from conversations and avoiding social gatherings :( I really do think i'll be stuck like this for the remainder of time that this thing is in my mouth! Oh woe is me hehe - but guess its worth the straight teeth at the end, so i'll try not complain too much! :twisted: