August/September surgery buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

adorkable8605

Re: August surgery buddies

#16 Post by adorkable8605 »

With less than a month until surgery, how is everyone preparing?

I haven't really bought anything, but I have completed my directed blood donation.

I have appointments to do molds and x-rays next week and my pre-op appointment with my surgeon the day before surgery. I have to find out if I need to do a pre-op with the hospital...I swear the surgeon said I did, but it hasn't been mentioned again.

kim3721

#17 Post by kim3721 »

I'm joining the august surgery crew! Got my official surgery date today - August 31st! Im excited! :D

kelse

#18 Post by kelse »

Yay! Glad you got your surgery dates confirmed adorkable! It's feeling more real now! Yeah check the pre-op appt situation - my surgeon said if I missed one appt they would cancel & move me down the waiting list :yikes:

I bought a squeezy bottle with straw for water (not to suck - when you squeeze it the water comes out) and a new robe (burgundy to hide the blood - glamorous!!)

Welcome Kim! Will have to read up on your posts - which surgery are you having? I am double jaw for class 3 malocclusion. 31st August - you'll get to see is all go thru it & come out the other side before yours - I've been watching the July thread for the same reason. Great to see their progress.

I have an ortho appt next week for final check & photos. 2 weeks on Monday & I'll be under :shock: - excited tho.

Hope to hear how you're all getting on soon x

kim3721

#19 Post by kim3721 »

Kelse - I too have been looking at the June/July thread in hopes of information lol. Im having my a BSSO - lower jaw movement of 6-8mm to fix my overbite and overjet of 6-8mm. It seems to me that a BSSO has a quicker healing time which I'm excited about since i'm dreading walking my college campus looking like a chipmunk :D . Wow only 2 weeks away, thats exciting! Wishing you the best!

kelse

#20 Post by kelse »

Had a letter thru on Friday changing my appt for wafer fitting (??) on 5th Aug to 7th Aug - when I'm meant to be at a festival with my daughters.

Luckily a few phone calls the the very helpful waiting list Secretary means I'll now be seen Tuesday 4th - crisis averted.

My work are really great with my appointments but I wonder how people cope when their employers are less understanding.

2 weeks on Monday!!! I've arranged for a friend to take me to hospital & think I'm gonna set up a wee Facebook group so my friends can check in on progress there.

I think I'm getting a cold so have just had some soup. Drinking plenty of water & trying to get lots of sleep to help get rid of it asap!!!

kelse

#21 Post by kelse »

Hi all

Had my last ortho appt before surgery today - felt a bit final!! Just photos and lig change.

Bought some nutrition drinks - ready made & powder. Have got homemade stock in freezer. Was going to get some frozen fruits too for smoothie making, and stock up the herbal teas to make hydration more interesting!!

Bought some dark bedlinen to hide any bloody drool :shock: !!!

Getting there now - 11 sleeps! Next appt is Tuesday for wafer fitting?!!

Hope everyone is doing well x

kelse

#22 Post by kelse »

bimaxman wrote:I am scheduled for August 4th. Bimax for sleep apnea and short face syndrome.
Hey bimaxman - you'll soon be heading in for your procedure - hope you're doing ok.

All the best x

kelse

#23 Post by kelse »

Hey adorkable - how you getting on with those surgical hooks? X

adorkable8605

#24 Post by adorkable8605 »

Yeah...surgical hooks are great...

Truthfully they aren't bad because my orthodontist bent them in, but I'm pretty sure the process of putting them on is pure torture. My teeth are still sore!

I also went to see the surgeon and did more molds (two sets...so much blue gunk...I probably still have some hidden in the brackets) and a bunch of x-rays and scans. I didn't write down any questions and didn't think of anything while I was there, so I feel a bit lost about what I should do to prepare for the big day. I'll be back in the office August 10th (the day before surgery), so I'll make sure to ask tons of questions (even though its a bit late). I definitely need to know his final game plan and if he still expects to do both jaws and a genioplasty.

I really need to figure out what I'll eat/drink for the 6 weeks of no chewing...Only 12 days until surgery!

kelse

#25 Post by kelse »

I know the feeling - I often come out of an appt and think "what about....?"!!

Eating wise I did loads of planning when I had my wisdom teeth out & didn't eat any of it as I didn't fancy it. I've just got the basics this time & will ask people to drop stuff in to me that I fancy.

I'll stock up on yogurts, custard, soups etc so there'll be something around, but anything more than that I'll play it by ear.

Laid a suitcase out & started putting a few things in it

I know, adorkable - it's getting close now, soon be single figures countdown !

snapdresser

#26 Post by snapdresser »

kelse - The "wafers" are probably your surgical splints. They're thin pieces of acrylic that are custom made from your molds and reflect what your post-op bite should be. They have you come in pre-op to try them on to make sure they fit onto your teeth properly, or else they have to file them down in the OR during the surgery, which is a huge pain. Since you have a malocclusion the splint will only fit on either your top or your lower teeth right now (not both at the same time), but in the OR when they are figuring out exactly where to position your jaw, that splint will guide them to where your teeth need to be to make your bite perfect :) Good luck!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

kelse

#27 Post by kelse »

Thanks snapdresser! Great to get an explanation from someone who's been there x

kelse

#28 Post by kelse »

A week today!! And I've got a busy week! Working Mon, Tue, wed. Wafer fitting on Tuesday. Away camping thurs-Sunday with my daughters - pre-arranged music festival & didn't want to disappoint the kids.

Hope everyone is ok - especially bimaxman who should be heading for surgery tomorrow? Good luck x

adorkable8605

#29 Post by adorkable8605 »

You definitely sound busy Kelse! I have finals this week and am trying to squeeze in dinner and activities with some friends and family before the surgery...It still doesn't really feel real yet, maybe after my final tomorrow I'll feel like it's happening...

On Monday, your big day, I have my pre-op appointments and Tuesday is the day...pure craziness!

slewsmissy

#30 Post by slewsmissy »

Well since I have no September surgery buddies is it ok if I join you guys on this thread? I'm having my double jaw surgery on September 1st so I'm practically having it in August. :D
[/url]