Getting a permanent retainer put in a month before braces removed

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fionisimma

Getting a permanent retainer put in a month before braces removed

#1 Post by Fionisimma »

As I near the end of my treatment in Clarity SL ceramic upper and lower I have a question that I cannot seem to find information/answers to....

At my last adjustment my Orthodontist had an impression/mould taken of my lower teeth and informed me that at my next appointment in 4weeks he would be putting on my lower permanent retainer but be leaving the lower braces on for another month :shock:

He didn't mention when my upper braces would be coming off (there's still work to be done on my bite and positioning of my upper incisors).

My question is why would he go ahead and put in my lower permanent retainer but leave the lower braces on for another month (challenges to clean there :( ). Why not just wait until he can take off those lower braces to put in that retainer???? Has anyone had experience or heard of why this would be done????

Puzzled and would appreciate input on this subject!

retainerjoe

Re: Getting a permanent retainer put in a month before braces removed

#2 Post by retainerjoe »

my orthodontist / tmj doc did my orthodontic work and that is the way he does all his
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

Daemon

#3 Post by Daemon »

Hmm.. I guess that's one way of doing it. I can see there are some advantages of doing it that way but not heard of it before.

MrsCharisma

#4 Post by MrsCharisma »

Mine was done this way as well.

It's because there's not a guarantee that the wire will be perfect. so they fit it while you're still in braces so there's no movement. Sure you have to work harder to clean but...it's better than chancing movement!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]