June/July 2015 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snapdresser

Re: June/July Surgery Buddies

#76 Post by snapdresser »

Jaime - Ohhhh sorry. I realized I misspelled your name in my last post. My fault! I'm sure you get the other spelling regularly, sorry to be another "misspelling statistic" lol. Anyways, I wish MY government gave me a present like that... Thanks Obama! :roll:

Nozzlenut - I like Now Foods brand whey protein: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/whey.html They don't carry it at GNC. Not sure if they have it at the Vitamin Shoppe or something like that. I've always just ordered it online. The chocolate is solid tasting. I like it! They also have an unflavored that I think has gotten good reviews too, IIRC, with lots of people saying it mixes real well with other stuff. The Now brand is pretty sweet. 100% whey protein isolate, blah blah blah. It's the best in terms of pure high-grade protein that I know of. I'm probly gonna pick up some of the unflavored powder to mix with the regular stuff soon. Or maybe just get a new thing of the chocolate? Hmmm...
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

snapdresser

#77 Post by snapdresser »

Less than three weeks out... Sweet Jesus! Now I'm starting to get more nervous about it... :roll:
No braces

SampMitch

#78 Post by SampMitch »

Hi i'm new here and having jaw surgery at the end of july/ beginning of august. Still no definite dare, hopefully getting one June 8th when I see my surgeon!

jaime

#79 Post by jaime »

Welcome SampMitch, glad to have you onboard. Do you know what kind of surgery you're getting?

Snap, stay strong! Have you got much left to do to prepare? Also, no prob on the name misspelling. You're right that I get it a lot; no biggie.

Three weeks today for me and it's my 1 year braces anniversary. So glad to be hopefully more than halfway done this journey.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

SampMitch

#80 Post by SampMitch »

Hey jaime, thanks! I realized after I posted I didn't say what kind I was getting. I don't know ALL the details but I know as of now I only need my upper jaw done. I have an open bite which was corrected with braces as a teenager but I guess grew back so now I'm back in braces and need surgery.

KaylaChristine

#81 Post by KaylaChristine »

snapdresser wrote:Oooo that sounds delicious :D My surgeon told me last week that most people lose 10-15 lbs after the surgery and told me I should try and put on some weight before the surgery. It's been awesome :lol:
Lol! I'm at an average/healthy-ish weight (135 lbs.) I've been trying (and failing haha) to get back down to 125 for while so I won't mind losing some weight lol.

I'm really not looking forward to the healing process. I workout quite frequently (running & yoga mostly) and I'm really going to miss it. Exercise is how I stay sane! I haven't asked the surgeon how long it'll be before I can return to running, but I'm guessing it's around 3 months post-op.

Jaime -- Happy (late) birthday!! I tested out the Ninja with a couple of shakes and it seems pretty great so far! Have you tried out the Oster?

The weeks are just rolling by! It's already been two weeks since I was given my date.

SampMitch - Good luck with your next appt. with your surgeon! I hope he/she gives you a date soon!
Braced on October 14, 2014.
Lefort I and vertical ramus osteotomy: June 15, 2015
Braces to be removed January 5, 2017.

snapdresser

#82 Post by snapdresser »

SampMitch - Welcome!!! I think you'll find there's lots of people on here willing to answer questions. Lots of us are going through this together :) What country are you in?

Jaime - I am. I just need to chomp down on my lip again real hard. That'll keep me motivated :wink: Seriously tho, that's supposed to be on the of benefits. Less biting the inside of your cheeks/lips on accident. In fact, my insurance will cover orthognathic surgery just for THAT! I have a ton to prepare..... Ugh. I need to get my next paycheck. It's tomorrow, but I already got plans for it. Jaw bra with extra ice packs, Smooth Move tea, tub of protein, maybe a PSTV? I got a THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR but I'ma be laid up for a while and it seems like a good way to pass the time. Netflix in bed FTW :D I should pick up some more cans of soup I guess, too. You?
No braces

SampMitch

#83 Post by SampMitch »

Thanks maybe someone in here can help me figure out exactly what they're doing to me...

My upper arch wire is cut into 3 sections... so one piece is across the front 4 incisors (teeth 7-10) then I have another wire on each side from canine to molars. My orthodontist is trying to make space between the incisor and canines because he says thats where the surgeon is going to make the cuts for my surgery...

snapdresser

#84 Post by snapdresser »

Ah, so you're looking at a 3-piece LeFort I, eh? I guess that makes sense for treating an open-bite. I think typically they try to avoid messing with the lower jaw if they're doing a 3-piece LeFort. I think doing the lower jaw too can cause some instability (more so than for those getting a 1-piece LeFort I), but I could be wrong. I believe it IS done, there's just more concerns after the surgery.
No braces

KaylaChristine

#85 Post by KaylaChristine »

Snapdresser - Do you have a link to the jaw bra you are going to get? I'll be ordering mine the beginning of June. Probably picking up a tub of some type of protein powder this week though. I'm starting to wish I would have bought or saved back for supplies many, many months ago. Only 4 more paychecks until surgery day :|

SampMitch - I agree with snapdresser, sounds like a 3 piece lefort I.

Speaking of Netflix -- If anyone has any tv show recommendations on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Instant Video etc. feel free to share them! I'm tv addict and I plan on binge-watching a lot of shows. I'd be happy to share some as well. Just let me know if you guys are interested.

Any of you guys buying the Zip-N-Squeeze products?

snapdresser

#86 Post by snapdresser »

KaylaChristine - I haven't picked out a jaw bra yet. The "Jaw Bra" band one is a bit more expensive than some on Amazon, I think. So I'll just probly pick the top rated one off Amazon, and throw in some recommended removable ice packs for it. I have Amazon Prime so hopefully it'll ship for free. I hear you about the saving up! I don't even know how much this is going to run me out of pocket yet... Apparently my surgeon is planning to spring that on me the week before my surgery :roll:

Obv Game of Thrones is top notch. I also like Mob Wives on Amazon Prime. I was gonna peruse the documentaries too. Netflix has some good ones, IIRC. I'd like to hear other people's recommendations too. Even tho yall are all women lol. Except SampMitch I guess!

I honestly haven't even looked at Zip-n-Squeeze yet... For shame, I know :cry: Just soooo much other stuff going on, not to mention I'm trying to wrap up everything at work before my surgery date!
No braces

SampMitch

#87 Post by SampMitch »

Is the 3 piece the worst one :?

snapdresser

#88 Post by snapdresser »

Lol well, I guess I'd say the LeFort III is the "worst" one. The 3-piece is still fairly routine, and if they're not operating on the lower jaw, I don't think you have any reason to be particularly concerned. Besides the usual concerns, that is :)
No braces

SampMitch

#89 Post by SampMitch »

is the recovery any worse than the other types? Ugh I just want to be done and healed and back to normal! :cry:

KaylaChristine

#90 Post by KaylaChristine »

Snapdresser - I'm probably going to pick the best rated one on Amazon as well. I also have prime, so I'll probably pick one that's best rated AND that ships for free haha. Yikes, that sucks that your surgeon hasn't given you a price yet.

I'm saving this season of Game of Thrones to watch during recovering actually! :D Recommendations: Netflix: Peaky Blinders, Daredevil, The League, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Burn Notice, Breaking Bad, Orange is the New Black, Bates Motel, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Salem (not the best show, but I love how dark it can be). Amazon Video: Hannibal, Orphan Black, Wonderfalls (I think it's on there...it might not be though :/ Only one season, but I love the show). Hulu: Wilfred, American Horror Story.

Just some off the top of my head :) I'm sure I can think of a ton more. Some are recent watches and some are a bit older but favorites. Some might be available on more than one service.

I also plan on watching the new season of Orange is the New Black. Thinking about watching the following: Sons of Anarchy, Six Feet Under, Marco Polo, the final seasons of Burn Notice & Breaking Bad, and the most recent season of American Horror Story.

I hear you about wrapping everything up at work. I should be working on that now...instead of replying lol.

SampMitch - 3 piece lefort might be considered the worst one, but as snapdresser said it's a routine procedure. I imagine recovery time isn't much worse than the other surgeries. I'm sure you'll be fine :)