June/July 2015 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaime

Re: June/July Surgery Buddies

#61 Post by jaime »

I don't have a ton of plans for meals. I was just going to rely on broth and other thin soups the first few days, then get into protein shakes/smoothies and blended soups after that. When I had SARPE, I relied heavily on Atkins meal replacement shakes and that was a life saver. I generally try to eat low carb although I'm sure I'm not going to care when I'm desperate.

KaylaChristine, since you are allergic to bananas, you could sub in canned coconut milk to thicken it up. The stuff in the can is very thick (it's not the same as the drinkable stuff in the carton).

Coconut oil is also very good for you. Maybe pick up peanut butter, or powdered peanut butter (PB2, or just peanut flour). Avocados are very filling. Chia seeds are super healthy and will become a gel-like consistency if you don't drink the smoothie right away (which could be a good thing).

I really like this recipe: http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/0 ... o-Smoothie

Smoothies are great because you can pretty much throw anything in the blender and it all works out fine. Spinach is surprisingly tasteless when mixed in with other stuff.

I bought some psyllium husk I plan to use in smoothies to make sure the pipes don't clog, if you know what I mean. :mrgreen: I need to pick up some generic fibre powder as well.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

snapdresser

#62 Post by snapdresser »

I was just gonna chug a ton of Ensure... And pina coladas after I'm not concerned about bleeding lol
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Nozzelnut

#63 Post by Nozzelnut »

snapdresser wrote:KaylaChristine: Jeez... :shock: A blood clot so she couldn't breathe? Oh man, that sounds pretty scary...

Nozzlenut: Mmmmmm blended chicken! :lol: I might try and get a little experimental. Could be fun!
Whipped chicken mousse? :shock: :FeelSick:
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

snapdresser

#64 Post by snapdresser »

Nozzelnut wrote:
snapdresser wrote:KaylaChristine: Jeez... :shock: A blood clot so she couldn't breathe? Oh man, that sounds pretty scary...

Nozzlenut: Mmmmmm blended chicken! :lol: I might try and get a little experimental. Could be fun!
Whipped chicken mousse? :shock: :FeelSick:
Anyone have any recipes for pureed meats?
No braces

snapdresser

#65 Post by snapdresser »

Three weeks from tomorrow!!! Jeez... the time is flying by...
No braces

jaime

#66 Post by jaime »

snapdresser wrote:Three weeks from tomorrow!!! Jeez... the time is flying by...
I was just about to post that it's 3 weeks away now!

I picked up some Smooth Move tea on the weekend as I saw it recommended on a blog. It's supposed to help with constipation, which was definitely a problem after my last surgery.
My blog

snapdresser

#67 Post by snapdresser »

jaime wrote:I picked up some Smooth Move tea on the weekend as I saw it recommended on a blog. It's supposed to help with constipation, which was definitely a problem after my last surgery.
Where'd you find that? Online?
No braces

jaime

#68 Post by jaime »

No, I saw it in a few different grocery stores. It's by Traditional Medicinals...I think it's a popular brand, at least in the USA. They have several different kinds of tea.
My blog

snapdresser

#69 Post by snapdresser »

jaime wrote:No, I saw it in a few different grocery stores. It's by Traditional Medicinals...I think it's a popular brand, at least in the USA. They have several different kinds of tea.
Hmmm... I wonder if Whole Foods or something carries it. It'd be in the tea section?
No braces

KaylaChristine

#70 Post by KaylaChristine »

My grandmother-in-law just bought me a Ninja Kitchen Pulse for my birthday/jaw surgery. I'm sure it'll come in handy!

I thought about buying meal replacement shakes instead of making my own, but man those are pricy! Thanks for the canned coconut milk tip! Oo and I love PB2. I've actually made a PB2 and almond milk "shake" before. Sooo good lol.

I made a strawberry/almond milk smoothie over the weekend to try out my new Ninja. It tasted pretty good but it gave me heartburn. I get heartburn semi-frequently, but I'm hoping I won't have too much of an issue during recovery.

The thought of pureed meat.... :yuck: Though, I do plan on blending homemade chicken and noodles (w/mashed potatoes) and beef stew...and possibly spaghetti, but the thought of most meat blended just sounds gross lol.

I'm so going to buy cookies and milk and make a "shake" haha. I'll be the one person who has jaw surgery and gains weight :-*
Braced on October 14, 2014.
Lefort I and vertical ramus osteotomy: June 15, 2015
Braces to be removed January 5, 2017.

snapdresser

#71 Post by snapdresser »

KaylaChristine wrote:I'm so going to buy cookies and milk and make a "shake" haha. I'll be the one person who has jaw surgery and gains weight :-*
Oooo that sounds delicious :D My surgeon told me last week that most people lose 10-15 lbs after the surgery and told me I should try and put on some weight before the surgery. It's been awesome :lol:
No braces

jaime

#72 Post by jaime »

Snapdresser, I would think Whole Foods has it, or some other generic grocery store in your town. I saw it at both a mid-price grocery store and a fancier grocery store.

KaylaChristina, I got a blender for my birthday too (which is today!). I had asked for it because the blender I currently own is very old. You'll have to let me know how you like the Ninja. I got an Oster Versa as it was recommended by thewirecutter.com (great review website).

Agreed that pureed meat sounds disgusting. I eat a lot of meat so I'm probably going to go out of my mind come next month. :(

I've actually been putting on weight, too! :-* I've gained 10lbs since this time last year, haha.

Well, tomorrow is my 1 year braces anniversary and 3 weeks until surgery. I cannot BELIEVE how fast the year has flown by. It feels like just yesterday I got my braces.
My blog

snapdresser

#73 Post by snapdresser »

Jamie - Ok, I'll have to go look for it. Maybe grab some Framboise while I'm at it :) Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! So the surgery is basically a huge b-day present from your insurance company, right? :lol:
No braces

Nozzelnut

#74 Post by Nozzelnut »

I purchased a couple cans of powdered meal replacement drinks. A lot less expensive than going with the premixed bottled stuff; and larger quantities.

Also trying to track down some good tasting protein powder; the kind for workouts to try. Any suggestions? I've been reading that protein is a lot more important than calcium for healing.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

jaime

#75 Post by jaime »

Thanks, Snap! I'm in Canada so it's more like a belated gift from the government.

Nozzlenut, I've been drinking IsoFemme vanilla protein powder since 2011. It's marketed towards women but it really doesn't matter. It's got a good amount of protein in it (25g). My old personal trainer (who completed in figure competitions) recommended it. I've always liked the taste of it more than other powders I've tried. The vanilla is not overpowering either, so it's good to use as a base if you want to use stronger flavours in your smoothie (like PB or berries or whatever).
My blog