Look what can happen in 1 year!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tartanhabit

Re: Look what can happen in 1 year!

#31 Post by tartanhabit »

Wow, so encouraging for someone like me on the verge of making the leap. Are these damon braces? Sorry if that says elsewhere - just new and finding my way around here.

TheProfessor

#32 Post by TheProfessor »

tartanhabit wrote:Wow, so encouraging for someone like me on the verge of making the leap. Are these damon braces? Sorry if that says elsewhere - just new and finding my way around here.
Yes, they are Damon brackets. I like them as much as it is possible to like braces! You should definitely make the leap!!!!
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

clouds1

#33 Post by clouds1 »

Congrats. your bottom teeth look amazing. I got my braces on 3 months ago so it's very encouraging to see your great progress

PhDGuy

#34 Post by PhDGuy »

TheProfessor wrote:Hi Gang,
Today is my 1 Year Metal Mouth Anniversary! I can't say I love my braces, but I love what they are doing to my teeth! I'm happy to be on the downhill slope of my 2 year journey!

For those of you thinking about getting braced, just do it!!!

First day in braces:

1 Year Anniversary:
Image Image

Best wishes to all my fellow Metal Mouths! I hope your smile journeys are going well :tingrin:
Cheers,
Prof
Wow, congratulations! The transformation is phenomenal! I am sure you are very pleased with how things have turned out so far. I just started my journey about a month ago and can't wait to see such major changes.

On an unrelated note, I am in an academic environment (a major US university) as well and was wondering if you have ever felt that braces have gotten in the way of interpersonal interactions with colleagues, students, etc, especially teaching.

Top and Bottom Damon 3MX Braces put on 4/13/2015

TheProfessor

#35 Post by TheProfessor »

PhDGuy wrote:
Wow, congratulations! The transformation is phenomenal! I am sure you are very pleased with how things have turned out so far. I just started my journey about a month ago and can't wait to see such major changes.

On an unrelated note, I am in an academic environment (a major US university) as well and was wondering if you have ever felt that braces have gotten in the way of interpersonal interactions with colleagues, students, etc, especially teaching.
Hi PhDGuy,
The only time I felt like braces got in the way was when I first got them. I did it in the middle of the semester and just showed up with braces one day. I was pretty embarrassed and decided to just pretend that everything was normal. Only three people made comments (my PhD student, one colleague, and one of the secretaries). My colleagues are awkward scientists and most of them chose to say nothing. I was teaching a graduate level class- I could tell that they were surprised, but no one said anything to my face. After I adjusted, I never feel uncomfortable teaching or interacting with students. My only problem professionally was that I agreed to give a talk at a small conference just 6 weeks after getting braced. I was still in the embarrassed stage and it was terrible to have to eat every meal with people I barely knew and to try to have intelligent conversations while worrying about having food everywhere in my braces. When I gave my talk, I felt a wave of self-consciousness (it was like I was a first year grad student again) and ended up giving the worst talk I've given since I've been an 'adult' scientist! I'm sure it was worse in my head than in reality, but I wouldn't recommend public speaking until you are used to your braces. After a couple of months I was fine, now I can speak to large audiences without thinking about my braces. I still hate professional dinners, though....

Good luck with your braces! Your students will think it is weird, but they will get over it! :tingrin:

Cheers,
Prof

Prometheus

#36 Post by Prometheus »

Hi Prof,
As a fellow senior level scientist I often give talks at scientific meetings, universities and biotech companies, so I truly understand your comments about being used to them before public speaking. I have Damon metal on the bottom and a removable bite splint on the top for TMJ pain. The bite splint negatively impacts my speech but I can remove it for a 60-90 min talk, and so far no problems. After 6 months of this splint I was told I will be moving on to brackets on the top arch in another month or two. I have a choice of Damon clear (ortho's default approach) or Damon metal. Visually it seems to me the Damon clear brackets are significantly larger and have a higher profile than the metal ones. Did you notice the difference in getting your lips to close over the clear ones vs. the metal ones? Where they more or less comfortable? A close friend had metal lower + clear upper Damons and said it wasn't a big deal, but it always seemed to me she struggled to close her lips and conceal bits of entrapped food. I'm "collecting data" to help with the decision, so any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Regards,
Prometheus
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

TheProfessor

#37 Post by TheProfessor »

Prometheus wrote:Hi Prof,
As a fellow senior level scientist I often give talks at scientific meetings, universities and biotech companies, so I truly understand your comments about being used to them before public speaking. I have Damon metal on the bottom and a removable bite splint on the top for TMJ pain. The bite splint negatively impacts my speech but I can remove it for a 60-90 min talk, and so far no problems. After 6 months of this splint I was told I will be moving on to brackets on the top arch in another month or two. I have a choice of Damon clear (ortho's default approach) or Damon metal. Visually it seems to me the Damon clear brackets are significantly larger and have a higher profile than the metal ones. Did you notice the difference in getting your lips to close over the clear ones vs. the metal ones? Where they more or less comfortable? A close friend had metal lower + clear upper Damons and said it wasn't a big deal, but it always seemed to me she struggled to close her lips and conceal bits of entrapped food. I'm "collecting data" to help with the decision, so any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Regards,
Prometheus
Hi Prometheus,
I like the clear brackets, I think they are less conspicuous from a distance. They do have a higher profile than the metals, but I think they are also smoother and more comfortable than the metal brackets. (I've only used wax about 4 times in the last 14 months, always on metal brackets). It was hard to close my lips at the beginning and my lip would get hung up on the hooks on my upper canines when I smiled, but I think that also would have happened with metal brackets. I got used to it about a month in and now I feel like my lips close naturally. I like the look of metal brackets on people's pictures on this website, but I'm glad I got the clear brackets on my uppers. Some food bits show up worse than others on the clear brackets, but you figure out how to eat in a way to minimize food getting stuck on your front brackets.

Good luck choosing, and try not to over-analyze it! You can't go wrong either way, both types of brackets will do the same job :tingrin:
--Prof

PhDGuy

#38 Post by PhDGuy »

TheProfessor wrote:
Hi PhDGuy,
The only time I felt like braces got in the way was when I first got them. I did it in the middle of the semester and just showed up with braces one day. I was pretty embarrassed and decided to just pretend that everything was normal. Only three people made comments (my PhD student, one colleague, and one of the secretaries). My colleagues are awkward scientists and most of them chose to say nothing. I was teaching a graduate level class- I could tell that they were surprised, but no one said anything to my face. After I adjusted, I never feel uncomfortable teaching or interacting with students. My only problem professionally was that I agreed to give a talk at a small conference just 6 weeks after getting braced. I was still in the embarrassed stage and it was terrible to have to eat every meal with people I barely knew and to try to have intelligent conversations while worrying about having food everywhere in my braces. When I gave my talk, I felt a wave of self-consciousness (it was like I was a first year grad student again) and ended up giving the worst talk I've given since I've been an 'adult' scientist! I'm sure it was worse in my head than in reality, but I wouldn't recommend public speaking until you are used to your braces. After a couple of months I was fine, now I can speak to large audiences without thinking about my braces. I still hate professional dinners, though....

Good luck with your braces! Your students will think it is weird, but they will get over it! :tingrin:

Cheers,
Prof
Thanks for your response Professor.

I did the same thing you did where I pretended that everything was normal, but I also didn't make a conscious effort to hide my braces. Like your colleagues, mine are also awkward scientists, and none of them said anything but I did get a couple of prolonged looks. I'd already mentioned getting braces to folk in the lab I work in so it wasn't a big surprise for them and a couple of them wanted to see what the hardware looked like, a bit weird, but nothing too bad. I do agree about the professional presentations and lunch/dinner part. I'd agreed to present a poster a while back and the whole idea of ortho treatment happened at a later date so 4 days after getting braces, there I was talking to complete strangers, trying to explain my science, while being in a lot of pain. Possibly the worst presentation performance of my entire life even including the first one ever at a national conference back in the day when I was terrified of presenting. As far as having meals with colleagues, it's a huge challenge and quite embarrassing, and the only thing I can think of is to excuse myself and run to the bathroom afterwards for a thorough brushing/cleaning!

Out of curiosity, what is your area of expertise? I am a Bioengineer by training and work in the field of nanotechnology and infectious diseases.

Cheers!
PhDGuy

Top and Bottom Damon 3MX Braces put on 4/13/2015

robgs

#39 Post by robgs »

Your teeth look fantastic! Keep up the good dental hygiene and your teeth and gums will be better than ever!

mrwata

#40 Post by mrwata »

Wow, great results!!! Congrats!!!

Prometheus

#41 Post by Prometheus »

Hi Prometheus,
I like the clear brackets, I think they are less conspicuous from a distance. They do have a higher profile than the metals, but I think they are also smoother and more comfortable than the metal brackets. (I've only used wax about 4 times in the last 14 months, always on metal brackets). It was hard to close my lips at the beginning and my lip would get hung up on the hooks on my upper canines when I smiled, but I think that also would have happened with metal brackets. I got used to it about a month in and now I feel like my lips close naturally. I like the look of metal brackets on people's pictures on this website, but I'm glad I got the clear brackets on my uppers. Some food bits show up worse than others on the clear brackets, but you figure out how to eat in a way to minimize food getting stuck on your front brackets.

Good luck choosing, and try not to over-analyze it! You can't go wrong either way, both types of brackets will do the same job :tingrin:
--Prof
At my last adjustment I was told that the upper ones go on at the next appointment, the assistant then asked if I wanted metal or ceramic. I expressed my concerns about them potentially feeling too bulky and she said no one complains about it and that ceramic brackets are chosen by most of the adults, so I've opted for the ceramic ones. I'll let you know if I made the right decision next week. Thanks so much for your input, it was helpful.
-Prometheus

Melissa0131

#42 Post by Melissa0131 »

Wow they look awesome! Congrats

Prometheus

#43 Post by Prometheus »

Got the clear ones on top today, not as bad as I imagined but they do seem a bit bulky. I'm sure I'll get used to them in time.

TheProfessor

#44 Post by TheProfessor »

Prometheus wrote:Got the clear ones on top today, not as bad as I imagined but they do seem a bit bulky. I'm sure I'll get used to them in time.
Congratulations, now you're a full member of the braces club!!! I think all brackets feel bulky when you first get them, I hope you get used to them soon! :tingrin:

BracedSurgeryStudent

#45 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

awesome :)
Jenn Medeiros