Treating open bite and cross bite with no surgery

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

30andbraced

Treating open bite and cross bite with no surgery

#1 Post by 30andbraced »

Hi!
I'm 30 years old and have wanted to fix my open bite, mild crowding and cross bite for many years now. I sucked my thumb until I was 17! Can you believe that? I went to a couple orthodontists in my early 20s who said I would need SARPE in conjunction with braces. The idea of a major surgery like that scared me from doing anything about my smile. I recently visited an orthodontist that told me he could straighten my teeth and attempt to close the open bite with out surgery. It is a pretty mild open bite. He said he can't promise that it will close completely but if my main goal is straight teeth then he can help. I like that he was totally honest with me but now that i've had my braces on for a few months I feel like the open bite is larger! I know I should have patience but i'm just scared that maybe I didn't make the right choice. Any advice out there from someone in a similar situation? Also, how can I post and view pictures on here?

30andbraced

Re: Treating open bite and cross bite with no surgery

#2 Post by 30andbraced »

Here are some photos of when i first got my braces on and 2 months later. I definitely see some progress with the crowding but my open bite is worse. :( Any one out there in a similar situation? Would love to hear if just braces was successful for an open bite of this size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mmkay

#3 Post by mmkay »

If you have a narrow upper pallete and the crossbite is on the major side then SARPE is the traditional approach. In my case my upper pallette is not particularly narrow in absolute terms and my crossbite is on only one side and not too bad, so surgery was a bit too borderline to justify.

As for the open bite, a decent orthodontist using anchorage devices to intrude you molars should be able to close it completely. If this guy is not planning on drilling screws into your mouth then I'd be concerned.

Anna5

#4 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

I want to wish you very good luck with your treatment! I was in a similar situation as you, narrow palate and open bite. Ortho recommended SARPE, but I refused. I went the just-braces route and everything turned out fine. My open bite is closed now (with elastics) and my crossbite corrected. I am sure surgery/SAPRE would have given me a better result, but there has defnitely been a great improvement of which I am happy.

30andbraced

#5 Post by 30andbraced »

Thanks you so much Anna5! I get easily discouraged. I'm about 3 months into treatment and everything feels so much worse than it was before. It makes me question what the heck I am doing. I hope it all works out for the best in the end. It's a long road! I've searched some of your posts and your teeth are beautiful! Congrats.

Anna5

#6 Post by Anna5 »

Hello! You are welcome. Often things get worse before they get better, but your teeth will get better I promise!

30andbraced

#7 Post by 30andbraced »

I'm feeling really worried about the amount my open bite has increased. I am hitting the 3 month mark and my open bite just seems to be getting bigger! Am I worrying for nothing or should I genuinely be concerned that my ortho doesn't know what he's doing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anna5

#8 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

I can understand that you are worried about your open bite. Definitely talk with your ortho about it, he may be able to reassure you.
I am no ortho, but I know that things often get worse first before they get better. You are still very early in your treatment. Usually they first align the arches (make your teeth straight) and after that they start correcting your (open) bite. I think you probably have to wear elastics in the future and they may close your open bite (like they did for more people here on this forum, including me). So, I should not worry too much if I were you, but definitely have a talk with your ortho! I wish you very good luck with your treatment!

Greetings from Anna

Anna5

#9 Post by Anna5 »

To give you some hope: Here is a nice thread from missred, I think she was a smilar case as you and has great results now:

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... it=missred

And here is also a very impressive blog from parapian. She has a big open bite, but is was fully closed with elastics!

http://openbite.blogspot.nl/

My own open bite was smaller but also completely closed with elastics.

Anyway, I think there is hope for you! But every case is different, so definitely talk to your ortho as well.

30andbraced

#10 Post by 30andbraced »

You are so sweet Anna! Thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. :)