ATTENTION: Does your username contain a special character?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

ATTENTION: Does your username contain a special character?

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

After we upgraded, I noticed that user names with special characters (that is, anything that is not a-z, A-Z or a number) do not work. So, if your user name contains things like $ ' " * ! (etc) you will not be able to log in.

If your user name contains a special character you will not be able to log in. I will need to change your user name (IF I can get into your account....it has been difficult to do in some cases).

Please email me if you have this problem and I will try to fix it for you: webmaster@archwired.com

Thanks,
Lynn
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Skeetergirl

Re: ATTENTION: Does your username contain a special character?

#2 Post by Skeetergirl »

You can go into the admin section of the board and tick the setting to be able to use special characters in usernames. Just an idea to save you and forum members some time.

Braces, Transpalatal Arch and Lower Lingual Arch
Start Date: 05/20/2015 (1 week before my 56th birthday)
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Debond Date: 10/19/2017 (2 years 5 months)

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Skeetergirl wrote:You can go into the admin section of the board and tick the setting to be able to use special characters in usernames. Just an idea to save you and forum members some time.
Well, that's the problem -- members HAD been able to use special characters in their user names, and somehow when the board got upgraded something got messed up. Now if a user has a special character in their name, they can't log in, and I can't even administrate them in the normal way because Search doesn't find them (neither normal search nor member search in the ACP).

In the member list, I can see the member's name, but when I click on it, it comes up as "doesn't exist."

I have changed registration so that new members can only choose user names with alpha-numeric characters (not special characters). That will solve the problem for the future, but it won't help the problem with existing members. For that I will probably need to go into the database with phpmyadmin and change the names there.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Skeetergirl

#4 Post by Skeetergirl »

If you changed the registration settings back to "use any characters" It could possibly fix the database? I'm afraid to try it on mine to check it because I have a lot of members with "specials" also.

I'm sorry it's being such a hassle.

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

Skeetergirl wrote:If you changed the registration settings back to "use any characters" It could possibly fix the database? I'm afraid to try it on mine to check it because I have a lot of members with "specials" also.

I'm sorry it's being such a hassle.
No, I don't see how that would fix problems with members who are already active.

Fortunately, 99.99% of our members do not use any special characters in their user names.

The only way I can see to fix the problem is to change the user names by finding them in phpmyadmin, because like I said, regular search methods in the ACP interface don't work with these names!

Skeetergirl

#6 Post by Skeetergirl »

I know you've done this for a long time and absolutly know what you're doing. :D I'm just simply giving suggestions because those kind of issues can be so frustrating.

One more idea... Have you tried manage users, then only type in the first character, if not a special character, and try to access their name from the list you get there?

I'm glad for you that's it's only a small percentage of users and I hope you can find a solution.

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Skeetergirl wrote:I know you've done this for a long time and absolutly know what you're doing. :D I'm just simply giving suggestions because those kind of issues can be so frustrating.

One more idea... Have you tried manage users, then only type in the first character, if not a special character, and try to access their name from the list you get there?

I'm glad for you that's it's only a small percentage of users and I hope you can find a solution.
Yeah, I did try that. And when I tried to administrate that user, it said "user does not exist." :huh: Very frustrating!

If it winds up being a big problem I will post a query on the phpbb community message board. But for now, there were just two members so far who've had a problem.

bracinglp

#8 Post by bracinglp »

Hi! I'm trying to change my username, but can't find an email or "contact us" button to request the change?

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

p wrote:Hi! I'm trying to change my username, but can't find an email or "contact us" button to request the change?
email webmaster at archwired dot com to request a username change.