Jaw surgery in Scotland?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lalcharlie

Jaw surgery in Scotland?

#1 Post by lalcharlie »

Aged 43, here I am embarking on my jaw surgery journey....SARPE (been waiting since June ) followed by double jaw surgery and genioplasty. I'd love to hear from anyone else who's had this surgery in Scotland - especially if you're older! I have young 2 kids and wonder how I'm going to cope. But I've spent my life dithering about my teeth, and it's time to sort out the problem. Was expecting Ortho to suggest a couple of years of braces, so I got a bit of a shock...

kelse

Re: Jaw surgery in Scotland?

#2 Post by kelse »

Hi, I am in scotland. Have had braces for a year in preparation for double jaw surgery. My next appt will be with surgical & ortho to confirm that my teeth are in the correct position for surgery.

I have 2 kids aswell and work full time. I am lucky that I have friends & family who will support me post surgery.

good luck on your journey

sparkles

#3 Post by sparkles »

Hi lalcharlie,

Welcome :D

I am in Aberdeen, Scotland. I'm 37 and have 2 children (15yrs and 12yrs)
I got my braces on nearly 7 years ago (I am assured by many that this is not the average length of time in braces LOL) and had lower BSSO on 5th September.

You will cope and it will be easier than you expect it to be.

If you want to have a read of my blog to see how everything was, especially post surgery, please do have a look (the link is in my signature below)

lalcharlie

#4 Post by lalcharlie »

Hello Sparkles, sorry i'm only just reading this, I had the most horrendous flu for two weeks and them my youngest had her tonsils out on Monday...
I will take a look at your blog later (and no doubt come back with more questions :-)
I'm currently wearing yet more spacers as on Tuesday i have a 'practice' with my expansion device/torture device on tuesday until Friday. Im very cross with the ortho in Oban as he used regular spacers whereas the consultant in Glasgow used smaller ones - he made me wait a couple of weeks while they were ordered so I think he thought it was important) My ortho said 'I put more in than him' and forced the larger spacers in, my gums bled for a week, total agony! I don't think Im going to cope well with jaw surgery if I can't handle the spacers!
I was told I'd probably have surgery last Autumn, but when I call the surgeon's secretary I find I've moved by only one or two up the waiting list (this week I was told 27th - was 29th before Christmas REALLY?? My surgeon has done two ops since then?)
Anyway, lovely to hear from you both.
I'll be reading more and more as I move up that list!!
xxx

kelse

#5 Post by kelse »

Hope that waiting list gets moving for you! Those spacers sound horrific :shock:

I have had my appt & am now on the waiting list in dundee :D

Next contact will be waiting list secretary contacting me with a proposed surgery date.

I'm so excited to be moving forward - the sooner the better for me, but hopefully sometime this year :?

lalcharlie

#6 Post by lalcharlie »

Hi Kelse

How exciting! I am so far away from that stage! Very jealous. I imagine your teeth are lovely and straight now, just not quite where you want them as your jaws need re-aligned? The waiting is the worst.

My family are in N.Ireland and my husband's are in Yorkshire so we've never had any help with the kids :( but when I have my 'full' jaw surgery they will be another two years older and less likely to be bickering and annoying each other (who am I kidding?)

The SARPE is still pretty invasive but I CANT wait to see the difference it makes to my teeth as I have such a narrow upper palate and a long face. I hope I don't have unrealistic expectations, hey you cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but looking at the surgery done on most people's blogs they all seem to look a little different (better).

Scary, isn't it. I was told the change would be 'subtly noticeable' by the consultant ortho. My teeth DO NOT meet anywhere! Total crossbite at the back and lower jaw veers off to the right, midline of teeth is wayyy out there. I am looking forward to having more room to breath as the nasal cavity is directly above the palate and I am a mouthbreather......all sounds very attractive lol

Hope you get a surgery date soon, let me know. How nervous are you?

kelse

#7 Post by kelse »

Wow that sounds really complex with all the cross bite issues. I had my adenoids removed as a child cos I was a mouth breather but I now wonder whether it was related to my upper jaw issues as I still mouth breathe at times. Hope that gets resolved for you. I'm away to Google sarpe now to see what that is :-)

My uunder bite gap is now huge - think muttley the dog from wacky races! When they were taking my measurements at the back of my mouth they said I was class 3 by 3 quarters - which I think means my back teeth are offset by a distance equal to 3 quarters of my molar?

I will try & post some pics tomorrow.

My kids will go and live with their dad for a week or so after my op which will really help me rest & also means they won't be exposed to my worst swelling etc.

I am not nervous as yet - just really eager to get op date asap :-)

lalcharlie

#8 Post by lalcharlie »

How do you post pics here? I'd love to show you how messed up my mouth/jaw is?
I wish kids could go live with their dad but unfortunately he's under this roof and less understanding than he could be...he see nothing much wrong with my teeth and thinks I'm putting myself through this for nothing.
Other people don't get it sometimes. All I want is what they have and take for granted, teeth that meet in the right places .

lalcharlie

#9 Post by lalcharlie »

had disastrous appoint with ortho today, I asked him to take expansion device out after 20 mins (i sat in waiting room dithering and sweating/panicking about not coping as ortho not working tomorrow so if I want it out it would involve a 3 hour trip to Glasgow) I just couldn't swallow or speak, not even a cup of water. Put it this way, I'll soon lose the extra 10lbs I always wanted to lose with this i my mouth!

kelse

#10 Post by kelse »

Sorry you're having a rotten time with the expander - it sounds a hideous torture device :-(. Where are you that you have to travel so far for ortho?

Thing for posting pics is at the bottom of a new message - I post using my phone so xan upload pics taken with my phone. You have to choose file first then select add the file.

people have said to me you don't need it etc but look at the pic of my profile & my bite looks like an upside down person lol.

A rare silver lining to being separated from my husband is 100% down time when they stay at his.

Hope your appt goes better on friday

jo x

lalcharlie

#11 Post by lalcharlie »

hey Jo, I'll still regarded as a newbie, hence not able to post pics yet:

New Members CANNOT do the following:
-place a signature in their profile (this includes a ticker)
-place an URL (website) in their profile
-place an URL (website) in a post
-attach any sort of image to a post
-make an attachment to a post
-edit or delete their posts
-change their password
-send or read private messages

After you make 7 to 12 posts and your user name turns green (which means that you have become a "Registered User") these restrictions are lifted. However, if we find that you are spamming the board, or behaving badly, you will be banned.

I would create a blog but I never have the time. Yours is incredibly articulate. Mine would be a moan! I suppose it's ups and down's this jaw surgery journey

Vicks

lalcharlie

#12 Post by lalcharlie »

My name is green! ooh it's giving me loads more choices now!

But hitting img just does this I'll work it out somehow. Not at all the same as adding regular attachments to documents or emails grrrrrr

kelse

#14 Post by kelse »

Ooh glad you're green now vicks, but i couldn't see the pic via the link :-(

Glad to hear your news that you've accepted a date for your sarpe - just prior to the easter hols! Good timing :-)

Jo
X

lalcharlie

#15 Post by lalcharlie »

Kelse - I'm back home after Sarpe and look rather like a hamster. One of two of the finer points regarding the experience I will learn from, but I think the surgeons have done their job pretty well judging by how my palate shifts around in my mouth when I eat/speak /walk
Do you gave a date yet?
Vicks