Asked ortho to remove expansion device after 5 minutes!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lalcharlie

Asked ortho to remove expansion device after 5 minutes!

#1 Post by lalcharlie »

I just couldn't speak and I'm a teacher. There is no way I could handle 7 classes of teenagers with this in my mouth. It's a High School, with the usual mixed bag of kids, but they do not take prisoners...I'd be mocked, that's a certainty.

What am I going to do? I am on the list for SARPE and my consultant insists on a 'trial' of 3 days with the expansion device.
The local ortho put it in (never done this on an adult before) and I freaked out as I hadn't realised the metal would literally press down on my tongue every time I closed my mouth. In all the blogs the device seems higher up in the roof of the mouth but this is how they are made in Glasgow so I don't have a choice. The ortho is part time up here on the West Coast and it's a 3 hour train ride to Glasgow if anything goes wrong.
I wanted to rip it out, I felt panicky and claustrophobic. Is this normal?
All this after a lot of blood and pain when the spacers were removed.
Called the consultant in Glasgow and (via someone else) told me I'll have to do it. I can't bear the thought of spacers again and then 3 days of this device. Most people seem to have the device fitted a day or week before surgery, here we have to have a trial of 3 days and then it's fitted 2 weeks before the surgery....which might not be till the summer as the list is moving soooo slowly (in 8 weeks I've moved up 2 places)
HELP!!
I need a wee bit of hand holding from some-one who's been through this, especially the expansion device.
Oh and after Sarpe I need braces then double jaw surgery! I am committed to the whole thing, I think coping with this device will be the real test for me.

kelse

Re: Asked ortho to remove expansion device after 5 minutes!

#2 Post by kelse »

Hey,

would they consider fitting it on a friday for you. At least you could just be miserable at home for a couple of days - you might be a bit more used to it by the monday? I hope that doesn't sound flippant - I certainly don't intend it to and I have no experience of this device.

I hope you find a way that they can make this work for you x

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

I had an RPE and it pressed down on my tongue while my mouth was closed. When it was first installed, I was like, "You're joking, right? This has got to be a prank." It felt like a joke; there was NO WAY I would get used to it. But seriously, you do. Within a few hours to a few months. It took me maybe a month or two. The first day I had it in, I was out being social and when I brought up my horrible lisp, everyone said they hadn't even noticed.

I felt anxious with it the first day, too. You have to learn to swallow with your tongue not pressing against the roof of your mouth, and it was hard to adjust to.

I'm not sure what you mean about the consult requiring a 3 day trial???
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

lalcharlie

#4 Post by lalcharlie »

Hello Jaime, how lovely you responded to this cry for help!

I have already read your blog - here and there - at least twice over the lat year. Your narrow palate and the shape of your jaw is very similar to mine, the change since SARPE is remarkable (especially when you are new to this and looking for inspiration!). Thanks for your blog.
My teeth overlap at the front a little and my palate is v-shaped. I wish i knew how to post pics on here, I took a pic of the device before he put it in my mouth. If anything is an incentive, that photo is.
I'm already have an appointment on Friday - I was supposed to be having it removed. I'm now hoping my teeth won't have closed up -the gaps - and we can try again. I want this sooooo badly!! Would love surgery tomorrow if I could. But psychologically I need to get over this and man up or i won't be able to cope with the rest of it. God, I've had 2 kids!!!!! This should be a breeze! Husband says I'm lovely as I am, other people tell me the same, dentists over the years have said 'You don't really need it' but the consultant offered me the full works - SARPE, double jaw surgery and possible genioplasty. And I hate my mouth/jaw/teeth so it's a no-brainer.
I'm probably a bit of a control freak and I need everything explained to me. That didn't happen today as the ortho up in the wild west of scotland has never seen SARPE surgery before. Doesn't fill me with confidence tbh.

To answer your question, the trial period of 3 days is a 'test' to ensure you can cope with the device! My surgery may not be for months, then it's fun fun fun with spacers again and here we go!

On second glass of wine after crappy day so apologies for waffle/poor spelling/grammar/general ranting/feeling sorry for myself nonsense

xxxxxx

lalcharlie

#5 Post by lalcharlie »

They also put the device in two weeks prior to surgery not two days, and spacers are in for two weeks, dig into gums and bleed profusely when removed (if today's anything to go by) :(
The consultant used spacers half the size (he ordered them specially for me) when the impressions were done but the ortho said 'I do more of these than he does' and used standard sized spacers which required painkillers for a week and bled every time i brushed my teeth. removing them today was hell

dantocanada

#6 Post by dantocanada »

I had Wilckodontics instead of SARPE, but I too am wearing an expander now. Jaime is right...the first few days are awful. After that, you really do get used to it. However I can't guarantee that your speech impediment will never go away - I'm 6 weeks in and I still have a lisp when saying certain words (really any word that uses the top of your palate to pronounce). Although people will notice, I haven't had anyone make a comment about it. I only bring it up because I can see them staring at my mouth trying to figure out what's going on. Once I explain I had surgery, they usually let it go. I can understand, however, how a class of high school students could be annoying, but I assure you adults (or the people you care most about) won't care.

The other challenge you unfortunately will have to get over is eating, as this becomes a much more difficult process as everything gets stuck in the expander. I assure you, however, that eating too becomes much, much easier. Just make sure you own a Waterpik.

lalcharlie

#7 Post by lalcharlie »

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into getting a water pol.
Consultant just rang to say I don't need to wear the device again for this 'trail period' but I had to reassure him I won't freak out before surgery and waste my surgery slot. And they'll be putting it in two days before, not two weeks.
I am so relieved....

lalcharlie

#8 Post by lalcharlie »

Waterpik! auto correct on phone is a curse sometimes