Posterior open bite relapse: time for new ortho?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

samoorelaw

Posterior open bite relapse: time for new ortho?

#1 Post by samoorelaw »

My posterior open bite has reopened less than two months after having my braces removed. I've been wearing my Hawley retainers (upper traditional Hawley, lower wraparound) faithfully.

It also looks like my cross bite has relapsed, too!

Is there any chance of this open bite settling? My ortho acts like this is the best result I can get and there's nothing that can be done. I first got my braces off in Seprember but had them reinstalled on the back teeth after the open bite relapsed again: had them removed after less than 3 months when it appeared the bite would hold, but nope.

Could maybe a positioner or some other device help close this back up? Am I maybe being too critical after jaw surgery and braces for two years? Should I have maybe had a wraparound hawley on top to have prevented the cross bite relapse?

I'm so depressed that this is happening to me post braces and post jaw surgery.

I don't think braces again are an option, especially since I'm getting fitted for crowns next week (the front yellow teeth are temporary crowns).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Featheryy1221

Re: Posterior open bite relapse: time for new ortho?

#2 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this samoorelaw. :( It does seem odd that you've had relapse so quickly. Especially when you consider the fact that you had surgery to fix this.
Is there any way you could get an opinion from another ortho and see what they think they could do to fix this?
It sounds as though your ortho is just set on this is how your teeth will end up being, otherwise I'd tell you to talk to them to see what options you have.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. And can completely understand why you feel discouraged. We all want absolutely perfect results when we're paying so much and trusting people to fix our smiles.

Hopefully someone with experience or even just advice can help you more. I think there's normally less replying going on during the weekend.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Nozzelnut

#3 Post by Nozzelnut »

Sorry you're having to go through all this, again....

Might be worth a consult with additional orthos at this stage of the game. They might tell you this is as good as it will be or maybe they'll have a different course of action and treatment.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

samoorelaw

#4 Post by samoorelaw »

Thanks for your posts. I sent the after pic to my ortho via email and voiced my disappointment so he will be prepared for it when I see him in a week to get a new retainer after I get my permanent crowns on Friday.

It seems like my upper teeth toward the back are "caving in," and I think my standard Hawley, which doesn't wrap around those teeth, is to blame. I see now why they say expansion surgery patients are best left with a wraparound hawley (I read that in a few abstracts I found online). In fact, at one point my ortho said he would put me in a wraparound on top, only to change his mind and give me the standard. He ended up giving me a lower wraparound hawley after the standard hawley he gave me for the lower caused gaps in my teeth.

I think my case really is just too complex for him.

I also intend on seeking consults from other orthos but I should demand that he install the braces on the back teeth again to fix the cross bite again, with a wraparound hawley to follow. I just have a feeling that he is going to try to charge me for it, as I'm considered in the "retention" stage.

Anna5

#5 Post by Anna5 »

Dearest Samoorelaw,

I just want to tell you that I sympathesize with you. After everything you went through, even surgery, you don't deserve this.
That is very good that you have an appointment with your ortho next week. I think he should help you for free, because he has to do a decent job. Your teeth don't look bad at all! But I understand your concerns, you just expect that they fix everything, especially after surgery. I hope your ortho will come up with a good solution, because you deserve this!
But even if it will never stay 100% perfect, your teeth/ bite look soooo much better than before your treatment, I hope this can still lift you up a little.
I wish you very good luck!

Greetings from Anna

samoorelaw

#6 Post by samoorelaw »

Thanks for your sweet words, Anna. The really funny thing is, I've asked my friends who have had braces for ortho recommendations, and the only recommendation I received was for my exact ortho. Hmm. He's a nice man and everything, but I can just tell he wants to be done with my case. I'm going to insist that he hear me out: I've paid almost $7,000 for braces and I think my lack of retention thus far is not up to standard.

samoorelaw

#7 Post by samoorelaw »

Saw my ortho today. He agreed my cross bite is returning. So we are going to try a wraparound Hawley but with screws (expansion screws?) to try to get the teeth to flare back out so my teeth with overlap again. So glad I went to see him to have him confirmed my findings as opposed to me just seeing things or being an unreasonable perfectionist. Not bad for someone with an uneducated opinion. As for my posterior open bite, he thinks that is more an issue of surgical relapse, which happens more often than one would think, sadly, so he does not think it's worth trying to close the bite again with elastics because odds are it won't hold, just like the last 2 times we tried.

Here's hoping this newest retainer will fix the problem. Even my dentist said that he's never seen a patient whose teeth relapsed as quickly as mine. I'm just ready for things to be OVER.

Anna5

#8 Post by Anna5 »

Dearest Samoorelaw,

I am happy that you saw your ortho and that he took your problems seriously. But I feel sorry for you that he probably cannot close your posterior open bite. You deserve so much better, especially after having gone through surgery!

But I am afraid he is right and that he seriously cannot help you. Open bites are very hard to retain, there are in fact no good retainers for. I also got an open bite closed, but my ortho cannot guarantee it stays closed. I was wondering, do you experience bad functional problems from your open bite or is it just an esthetic thing?
Do you think your surgeon did something wrong during the surgery or is it just bad luck of nature?

I truly feel sorry for you. But once again, your teeth look 100 times better than before surgery. I hope you can get peace with this.

Love from Anna

samoorelaw

#9 Post by samoorelaw »

Anna5 wrote:Dearest Samoorelaw,

I am happy that you saw your ortho and that he took your problems seriously. But I feel sorry for you that he probably cannot close your posterior open bite. You deserve so much better, especially after having gone through surgery!

But I am afraid he is right and that he seriously cannot help you. Open bites are very hard to retain, there are in fact no good retainers for. I also got an open bite closed, but my ortho cannot guarantee it stays closed. I was wondering, do you experience bad functional problems from your open bite or is it just an esthetic thing?
Do you think your surgeon did something wrong during the surgery or is it just bad luck of nature?

I truly feel sorry for you. But once again, your teeth look 100 times better than before surgery. I hope you can get peace with this.

Love from Anna
I too am afraid he can't do anything for me. My oral surgeon does want to see me though next week because he thinks this relapse is a bit unusual given how fast it's happened and after 24/7 retainer wear.

Thank you again for your kind words. How is post-braces life treating you? Hopefully better than me! Your bite staying closed?

samoorelaw

#10 Post by samoorelaw »

Got my crowns today. Did a proper before and after and the results are amazing, even if my bite is still a bit off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jfriend33

#11 Post by jfriend33 »

samoorelaw wrote:Got my crowns today. Did a proper before and after and the results are amazing, even if my bite is still a bit off.
Wow! Looks great to me!

Anna5

#12 Post by Anna5 »

Beatiful, congratulations!!!

I hope this makes you feel a bit better about your teeth. Your bite may still be off, but I am sure the only thing most people will see is a very beautiful smile!

Have you already talked with your surgeon about your relapse? I hope they can do something to fix this (but no surgery!)

successful

#13 Post by successful »

Hi there,

What was the cause of your open bite initially?

I too currently have braces on and will be having jaw surgery within the year and am concerned that a relapse will happen if some habits that caused the open bite or occurred as a reflex to it are not addressed (in my case a tongue thrusting issue).

samoorelaw

#14 Post by samoorelaw »

Anna5 wrote:Beatiful, congratulations!!!

I hope this makes you feel a bit better about your teeth. Your bite may still be off, but I am sure the only thing most people will see is a very beautiful smile!

Have you already talked with your surgeon about your relapse? I hope they can do something to fix this (but no surgery!)
Thank you, Anna! I have talked to my surgeon and for now we are monitoring it. I'm still turning the key on my palate expander/hamley so hopefully my crossbite will be corrected soon. As for the open bite, the molar may or may not settle down: if it doesn't, then we may talk about build-ups.

samoorelaw

#15 Post by samoorelaw »

successful wrote:Hi there,

What was the cause of your open bite initially?

I too currently have braces on and will be having jaw surgery within the year and am concerned that a relapse will happen if some habits that caused the open bite or occurred as a reflex to it are not addressed (in my case a tongue thrusting issue).
Hello,

I didn't have an open bite on this side when I started (I had it on the opposite side): it happened after the surgery and I don't have a tongue thrusting issue either. The relapse is either due to my teeth being too small, which I don't buy because my molars were touching when the braces were removed, or perhaos the braces were removed too early. I suggest wearing the elastics as long as possible and ensuring your teeth are stable and not actively being moved for at least a couple of months before having them removed.