May 2015 Surgery Buddies!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snapdresser

May 2015 Surgery Buddies!!!

#1 Post by snapdresser »

Date set for May 1st, 2015! Anyone else in the club for May 2015 surgery? I'm kinda nervous about looking in the mirror and seeing someone different than the person I've been seeing my entire life... :shock: :shock: :shock: Scheduled for LeFort I, BSSO, and genio for long face syndrome/receding chin. How about you??

KaylaChristine

Re: May 2015 Surgery Buddies!!!

#2 Post by KaylaChristine »

Congrats on your surgery date! I'm definitely nervous about looking different as well.

My ortho said I should be ready for double jaw surgery sometime this summer. I should be getting molds done on April 1st to see if I'm ready. I doubt I'll have mine in May though. Hopefully I'll get a surgery date soon after that.

Good luck!!
Braced on October 14, 2014.
Lefort I and vertical ramus osteotomy: June 15, 2015
Braces to be removed January 5, 2017.

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

Ikr? It's kind of a scary thought, but I guess when it looks good, people adjust well to it. Do you have an overbite or an underbite? Seems like the overbite treatment yields the most impressive results.

Curious what my soft tissues will do, too. My doc said that's hard to predict, but in the before and after shots that I've seen, the soft tissues seem to just kind of look "right" afterwards.

KaylaChristine

#4 Post by KaylaChristine »

I have an underbite.

I'm curious too but I'm hoping for the best! I like my face okay other than my bite/smile.

jaime

#5 Post by jaime »

My surgery is June...maybe I can join in on the fun here? I feel like there aren't a ton of active users here with surgery coming up.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

snapdresser

#6 Post by snapdresser »

Sounds good to me Jaime! What's your situation? Any specific concerns/hopes?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

deathorglory

#7 Post by deathorglory »

I'm having surgery March 30th! I didn't see a March thread so I'm crashing this one. :)

Underbite of about 10mm currently. Did my molds at my orthodontist at my last appointment, but my next appointment for molds with my surgeon is towards midMarch. Still waiting to hear about my PA for surgery (was approved last year, then the surgeon had to be changed so the new surgeon says it shouldn't be an issue since it was already approved once). Kind of nervous but also excited to be at this leg of the journey...and of course, eating everything in sight. :)
Braces on March 7th, 2014
Lower Jaw Surgery (BSSO) March 30th, 2015

jaime

#8 Post by jaime »

snapdresser wrote:Sounds good to me Jaime! What's your situation? Any specific concerns/hopes?
Those are both loaded questions, haha! Had SARPE in December 2013 since what I thought was simple crowding was actually every possible problem one could have. You name it, it's wrong with my mouth. Anterior open bite, crossbite, overjet, narrow palate, crowding, impacted wisdom teeth, TMJ, tongue thrust, bruxism. I think that covers it? :soremouth:

In June I'll be getting a Lefort I, BSSO, and sliding genioplasty.

Getting my moulds/records for surgery done around June 1st. Hoping to be off work the entire time I'm banded shut (6 weeks?). I have 12 weeks of sick leave banked at work and they have been threatening to take everybody's sick leave banks away so I am eager to use as much as I can.

I'm excited about surgery, to be honest. I feel like the SARPE was a good practice for this. Maybe this sounds vain but my big hope is that my appearance improves from surgery. My nose is prominent now which I never realized was because my maxilla is too far back. My surgeon showed me a projected outline of my profile post-surgery and my nose looks noticeably less prominent.

Anyone else getting the triple whammy (double jaw surgery + genioplasty) this summer?
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

snapdresser

#9 Post by snapdresser »

Hey deathorglory! You're lucky you're so close to surgery-day! I don't like having to wait :evil: Not that I'm anxious to go under the knife, but the longer the wait till the surgery = the longer the wait for the final results :roll: You must be super thrilled that you've gone this far at this point! What all did they do with the braces? How did they have to move your teeth to prep you for surgery? You get expanders?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

cassiem

#10 Post by cassiem »

I am scheduled for LeFort I, BSSO, and genio for the same issues. My surgery date is March 4th. I can't believe it is less than a week away! I'm getting pretty nervous about it. It seems like yesterday that it was a year away.

deathorglory

#11 Post by deathorglory »

snapdresser wrote:Hey deathorglory! You're lucky you're so close to surgery-day! I don't like having to wait :evil: Not that I'm anxious to go under the knife, but the longer the wait till the surgery = the longer the wait for the final results :roll: You must be super thrilled that you've gone this far at this point! What all did they do with the braces? How did they have to move your teeth to prep you for surgery? You get expanders?
I didn't have too many crazy issues to work out before surgery, luckily (but this IS my second time in braces). I had a big of crowding in my upper arch and a few spacing issues in my lower arch, in addition to having lower back molars that were tilted in towards my tongue. The spacing issues were fixed pretty quickly - by my first adjustment my crowding on top had basically been fixed (OMG it hurt so bad, but totally worth it!). The tilted molars took the better part of 6 months. We had to reposition bands and bend wires, but now they're straight up and down, which I doubt they've ever been before! What sucks for me now, though, is that my current wire (the stainless steel one for surgery) is still bent like my last non-stainless steel wire, but has so much less give in it that the dental assistants couldn't get it into some of my brackets. My last appointment was supposed to last only 40 minutes, but ended up lasting about an hour and a half with the better part of that time spent trying to get my brackets to close on my wire. We gave up in the end (after breaking off a bracket, even) and used wire ties. My concern now is that because my time between appointments is so long (next one isn't until mid March, last one was early February), my wire ties might have shifted or the wire might have shifted. Looking at my teeth (obsessively, haha!) it doesn't look like any of the teeth have shifted out of place, but I worry. No expanders for me, and no prior surgeries either. Just this huge gap between my top and bottom arches ;) Yayyyy overbite...

I'm with you on being lucky for not having to wait part, for sure! I've been eating everything in sight since I got my surgery date in preparation for my inability to chew later on. I AM looking forward to being healed by summer, though... I'm kind of looking forward to the day after surgery. Not the swelling and inability to chew part, but more the surgery is over and I can get to healing part. Then only 6 months to a year for braces tweaking...!!! March 7th is my 1 year braces anniversary. I'm hoping I'll have the braces off by the end of November, but I'm mentally prepared to go till next summer if need be. ...I guess. :lol: :|

ST24085

#12 Post by ST24085 »

snapdresser wrote: I'm kinda nervous about looking in the mirror and seeing someone different than the person I've been seeing my entire life...
I'm very worried about this too! I originally had a date on April 22. That got pushed to May 1st and again to May 22. Let's see if it sticks.

I'm in for Lefort I and BSSO as well for a severe cross-bite. Can't wait to actually use my teeth the way they were intended.

KaylaChristine

#13 Post by KaylaChristine »

deathorglory wrote:I'm having surgery March 30th! I didn't see a March thread so I'm crashing this one. :)

Underbite of about 10mm currently. Did my molds at my orthodontist at my last appointment, but my next appointment for molds with my surgeon is towards midMarch. Still waiting to hear about my PA for surgery (was approved last year, then the surgeon had to be changed so the new surgeon says it shouldn't be an issue since it was already approved once). Kind of nervous but also excited to be at this leg of the journey...and of course, eating everything in sight. :)

I hope your surgery went well yesterday!! Looking forward to hearing about how it went and how you are recovering. I wish you a quick recovery :)

lalcharlie

#14 Post by lalcharlie »

Good luck deathorglory, recover quickly and enjoy your new bite. Take one day at a time xxx
Vicks (had sarpe surgery a week ago)

deathorglory

#15 Post by deathorglory »

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I think it worked cuz I'm healing pretty well so far :) My cheeks are still super puffy on the inside, but my face is slowly deflating back to a less peanut-y shape :)

I hope everyone who had surgery is doing well and those of you who're coming up for it aren't too nervous!!!