In need of reassurance!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

katyl96

In need of reassurance!!!

#1 Post by katyl96 »

I'm 18 and soon to undergo double jaw surgery. after letting my place of work know and recieving lots of comments questioning if its the right thing to do and telling me it will never be worth it, i'm feeling very nervy and need reassurance :( :( :(

snapdresser

Re: In need of reassurance!!!

#2 Post by snapdresser »

It's easy to throw assurance at you, but I'm kinda nervous too! How bad is your issue? Difficult symptoms you're trying to address with the surgery, or is it mostly cosmetic?

katyl96

#3 Post by katyl96 »

quite a few medical problems that come with the gap between my jaws, but also cosmetic. All im hearing is that it will not be worth it and its making me question whether to go ahead with it! I've been waiting for three years to be given the go ahead (ie stopped growing) and now its so close all the remarks are making me question myself. Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to being able to do things normally like eating and biting and breathing normally, but people who dont know much about it are making me doubt it. Is it really worth it? They're also saying how much they know its going to hurt and put me out of doing the ordinary for months and months. Feeling a bit panicked!! :(

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

I found this quote from an orthognathic doc yesterday: "Cosmetic improvement is startling for those individuals requiring these procedures, and with proper planning it is unusual for patients not to be delighted with the outcome." Thought you might appreciate that :D

Also, the same doc's website also said that the pain meds they give for this surgery are the same ones they give after operating on the back molars. So that should make you feel better about the level of pain involved!

In all fairness, you probably have a lot more to gain from the surgery than I do, since you have bite issues. People pay tens of thousands of $$$ to get this done for purely cosmetic reasons and you have a LIST of practical, lifestyle benefits as well! Seriously, every time I bite the inside of my cheek I lose all nervousness about the procedure and can't wait to get it done :lol: Try being conscious of the symptoms you're experiencing in every-day life! Just the cosmetics is reason enough to do it IMO, throw in ALL the other, real improvements in your day-to-day life?? I'm sold :D :D

jaime

#5 Post by jaime »

Katyl96, don't let people with no knowledge of orthodontia or your particular situation dissuade you. Your orthodontist knows what he/she's doing...your coworkers do not. If you didn't need the surgery, you wouldn't have been monitored for 3 years and still need it.

You are young and I'm certain you will be glad you went through with it now as opposed to letting yourself be convinced otherwise and then needing more treatment later on.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

snapdresser

#6 Post by snapdresser »

^+1 You're not going to regret getting this done sooner rather than later.