How painful can invisalign get?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Yoshi is cute

How painful can invisalign get?

#1 Post by Yoshi is cute »

I'm a 22 year old who is considering on improving his teeth and oral health, but was wondering if invisalign has any complications down the track.

Thank you in advance and I hope you all have a successful, yet prosperous 2014.
Last edited by Yoshi is cute on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yoshi is cute

Re: How painful can invisalign get?

#2 Post by Yoshi is cute »

I had to post something within 12 hours or else this account would be seen as spam.

Mike02110

#3 Post by Mike02110 »

Good question... I'm curious to see some of the responses.

I went for a consult, and haven't made a decision as to whether I want ceramic braces, or go with invisalign.

thatchick

#4 Post by thatchick »

Hi Yoshi!
I am currently on 5th out of 13th aligner. I had regular braces years ago as a teen and I have to say the pain is very minimal compared to regular braces. With invisalign the most I experience is a tight pressure when I change trays but it is not even bad at all.
Invisalign does get frustrating because you do have to remove them frequently in order to eat or drink anything that is not water. It is a lot more work then regular braces. I sometimes find myself not eating because I do not feel like dealing with taking them out and then brushing and putting them back on.
Also if you get attachments they can be bothersome since they feel quite uncomfortable when your aligners are out because they feel like they are scratching the inside of your cheeks, but again it is nothing too bad.

Good luck on your journey! Let me know if you have any other questions :)

arciedee

#5 Post by arciedee »

I'm on tray 6 out of 44 and so far any pain has been minimal. I will get a few twinges on the first couple days after I switch trays, but I really only notice it when I take out the trays to eat. The soreness I've had hasn't required me to take any pain relievers or anything like that. People have different experiences and different pain tolerances, but from my experience, it's not bad at all!

CatLadyAlice

#6 Post by CatLadyAlice »

I found my first tray extremely painful - to the point where I wondered if it was worth it! But after that, the pain rarely bothered me and I got quite used to it. Don't let the pain put you off. :)

xkiwitatty

#7 Post by xkiwitatty »

Hmmm, for my first set of trays, I was feeling a lot of tenderness in my teeth on the first night during dinner time and all through the second and third day especially when I was taking them off and putting them on (Third day was already getting better though). I didn't even have attachments on yet too!

I'm on my second set of trays now with 16 attachments. My pre-molars on the upper and lower and also the canine teeth were in so much pain when removing the aligners the first day I got them that I almost didn't even want to take them off for dinner. Today is the second day and it's in way less pain than the first night though it still is painful. I'm hoping by the third day it'll be less painful to take them off for eating.

Other than that, Invisalign, I would say is minimal in terms of pressure when changing to new trays. But pain tolerance differs in everyone!

Good Luck!

sal2

#8 Post by sal2 »

I find some tenderness for the 1-3rd day of a new tray, as said above especially when taking tray out but really that's all there is, 'worst' pain has been accidentally pressing the plastic of an electric toothbrush against teeth, but nothing acute & no pain elsewhere on myface/ head.
I'd assumed once attachments were added the pain would increase but I've not noticed a change really - Invisalign seems quite gradual & gentle.

steven

#9 Post by steven »

You feel few complication, like Your gums may feel a bit sore when you first wear the trays, but that discomfort is generally temporary. I don't think it is most painful.

BracesU

#10 Post by BracesU »

In general, the first tray will be uncomfortable to some extent. The good news is that it gets better with time. Just know that tenderness means that your teeth are adjusting to a better position within the mouth and that your treatment is working. Be persistent and patient and make sure you tell your orthodontist about pain that persists that seems out of the ordinary. He/she may have some options for you to help with the process.

Cheers

retroRedhead

#11 Post by retroRedhead »

I am about to start Invisalign, and I asked my friend who also did it in her 40s. She described the initial pain like early child labor and forget tylenol, she used narcotic painkillers the first night. So anything less than that, I'll be happy.

americanabroad

#12 Post by americanabroad »

I've had barely any 'pain.' I read online that taking tylenol an hour before switching a new tray in can help with this; I've found it good to do.

Rebeccasmells

#13 Post by Rebeccasmells »

Mike02110 wrote:Good question... I'm curious to see some of the responses.

I went for a consult, and haven't made a decision as to whether I want ceramic braces, or go with invisalign.

Ceramic! Ortho has full control and you can't take it of.

Rebeccasmells

#14 Post by Rebeccasmells »

retroRedhead wrote:I am about to start Invisalign, and I asked my friend who also did it in her 40s. She described the initial pain like early child labor and forget tylenol, she used narcotic painkillers the first night. So anything less than that, I'll be happy.
She has a low pain threshold.

Scottmc87

#15 Post by Scottmc87 »

I wouldn't even describe it as pain. I'd say mild discomfort? The only real pain I felt was when taking them on or off for the first few times of a new tray. I have metal bands on the bottom and let me tell you, invisalign is a CAKEWALK compared to the metal bands. The pain I felt at first on the bottom was enough to send me to the next realm!!!