Are my teeth "bad enough" for braces? Chickening out, help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DoctoraBella

Are my teeth "bad enough" for braces? Chickening out, help!

#1 Post by DoctoraBella »

Hey! New here. I was always told as a child my teeth were too straight for braces. I've noticed more and more crowding as an adult and have always had a narrow arch. Also I haven't been happy with the appearance of my teeth in photos of late and this is also getting worse, most notably with my front tooth. I. Decided to visit a couple orthos and found one who is recommended locally who says in a candidate for either Invisalign or braces but she recommends braces to widen the arches more successfully. She works with damon braces which I like. All is set for placement on 12/29! Invisalign plus acceledent! Eek!!

Now I am having second thoughts as I do with all major life decisions. My husband thinks I'm being silly and having braces are put on my "straight teeth." Given many of the before and afters I've seen, am I out of line to do this? Are my teeth too straight for braces? I guess I just need some reassurance.

Tyrantblade

Re: Are my teeth "bad enough" for braces? Chickening out, he

#4 Post by Tyrantblade »

I don't think your smile is too bad, that being said it does look like you could get a better smile with braces, I guess it depends on how much it bothers you, im the kind of person that can get bothered by the smallest things, so I would ho for it. I plan on getting braces myself ASAP, im gonna make a consultation appointment ASAP and see what the orthodontist wants to start and what kind of payment they want. I don't think you will regret getting braces when you have a better smile.

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

I think your problems are apparent enough to warrant braces. Definitely some misalignment here and there in the front on both upper and lower.

That said, you might want to post a pic of a natural smile to see how bad they really are. The rears seem tilted inwards on upper and lower, but if it's not unhealthy (your ortho can tell you) and if it is not apparent in a natural smile, it may not need fixing.

DoctoraBella

#6 Post by DoctoraBella »

Thanks for your replies! The BIG day is tomorrow so I need all the input I can get.

The pic below is my natural smile. Any further comments would be much appreciated!!
At this point I'm just truly wondering whether it's worth the trouble and $$$. Maybe I've been examining my mouth in ways that nobody else ever would.

http://postimg.org/image/evbhnx5mz/

DoctoraBella

#7 Post by DoctoraBella »

So sorry - I'm unable to edit - THIS is my natural smile!

http://tinypic.com/r/294i1py/8

DoctoraBella

#8 Post by DoctoraBella »

Also - since I'm having so many second thoughts, maybe I should reconsider Invisalign? I'm just all over the place. Orthos all felt my arch needed widening and damon braces would do the better job but I'm technically an Invisalign candidate. I thought go big or go home and I've read things about sore throat and respiratory side effects with Invisalign which is why I signed up for braces but I'm obviously having second thoughts!!!

newbite

#9 Post by newbite »

If you have a class 1 bite and generally good alignment of teeth (in spite of the crookedness/crowding) then your treatment would perhaps would be delightfully easy compared to treatment for bite/skeletal problems. I would go for the Damon braces --not Invisalign-- because the arch expansion is pretty amazing. I have (had!) very crowded teeth and even though I haven't had any extractions or IPR my teeth are straightening out surprisingly well. Since you seem to be starting off from a pretty good place your treatment might be relatively quick and easy. If I were you I would get the Damon braces (and Acceledent-- I have it and it's so helpful !). Your teeth are only going to get more crowded as you get older, it's better to get them fixed now and then wear your retainer so they don't relapse.
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

DoctoraBella

#10 Post by DoctoraBella »

Thank you! I do have a class 1 bite with a narrow arch but what you have said totally makes sense. Invisalign would be a band aid for me and would be so much longer and may not even get me the results I need and want. I really appreciate your input and I believe it will be an investment for the future, as my teeth would only get worse. Damons it is!!

newbite

#11 Post by newbite »

Yay! Good luck! I have metal Damons except for the top front 6 are clear, and they have been excellent. People hardly notice them (most people don't at all). My ortho tried to get me to do Invisalign and was surprised when I was adamant I didn't want it. I just want the best results in the shortest amount of time, which isn't Invisalign (at least, not for me)!
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

jem

#12 Post by jem »

I also think damon would be he way to go. My ortho also offered me the option of damon or invisalign, but told me damon would do a better job. I am glad I chose damon as I am very happy with the result and did not find the damon brace difficult to wear.

Good luck,

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

DoctoraBella

#13 Post by DoctoraBella »

I did it! I almost chickened out and made myself molds for Invisalign but I didnt! The process wasn't bad at all. Super fast and they feel less awkward than I expected. I'm not even too sore, though I swallowed the Mac and cheese and chicken we had for dinner without really chewing. My only fear is biting my lip with them or hooking my cheek, because any and all trauma to my mucosa turns into angry canker sores. I already started my acceledent too and it was actually enjoyable.

I'm generally very happy I went ahead! The only major drawback is my husband really hates them and thinks making out will be super weird. Humph.

Tyrantblade

#14 Post by Tyrantblade »

Congratulations, wish I could have started treatment by now, but my opportunity is just around the corner, im probably gonna get more and more anxious the closer I get to the consultation appointment and then whatever my personal treatment entails. But im determined to not chicken out even if it feels like my heart will explode from the anxiety.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

natashabasha

#15 Post by natashabasha »

DoctoraBella wrote:I did it! I almost chickened out and made myself molds for Invisalign but I didnt! The process wasn't bad at all. Super fast and they feel less awkward than I expected. I'm not even too sore, though I swallowed the Mac and cheese and chicken we had for dinner without really chewing. My only fear is biting my lip with them or hooking my cheek, because any and all trauma to my mucosa turns into angry canker sores. I already started my acceledent too and it was actually enjoyable.

I'm generally very happy I went ahead! The only major drawback is my husband really hates them and thinks making out will be super weird. Humph.
That's really awesome you went ahead with it!

I used to think my teeth weren't too bad apart from one tooth just sticking out like a vampire tooth - oh boy I was wrong!

Haha my boyfriend hasn't complained yet about making out with braces..usually its me making all the fuss thinking I'm cutting his mouth to shreds!