What's the appointment process like before Jaw surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

randomdude

What's the appointment process like before Jaw surgery?

#1 Post by randomdude »

Hey guys sorry if its been mentioned (I'm sure it has) but I couldn't find anything.

I need to get maxillary advancement surgery to fix my crossbite. I know the process of dealing with the orthodontist in preparing for surgery but I was wondering how many appointments I would need with the Maxillofacial surgeon? How many times will he need to see me before surgery?

The reason I'm asking is because every maxillofacial surgeon in my city has a massive waiting list of 6 months and the next city over (a 45min plane ride away) there is only a 2 week wait for this reason I am seriously considering (if possible) of having surgery there as I wan't to get braces and start the process asap which I can't till I've seen a surgeon first.

Do you guys think it would be possible to get surgery in another nearby city while getting orthodontic treatment at home? From what I understand the orthodontist and maxillofacial surgeon need a fair bit of communication which might make it difficult? I figured it would be easier these days with email, skype etc but who knows when it comes to them lol, thanks.

jaime

Re: What's the appointment process like before Jaw surgery?

#2 Post by jaime »

For me personally, my appointments have gone and will go like this:

1. Consultation
2. Surgery #1 (SARPE and wisdom teeth out)
3. Follow-up a few days after that surgery.
4. Follow-up 6 months later (and discussion related to surgery #2).
5. 6-month pre-op appointment
6. Surgery pre-op at hospital one week before surgery.
7. Surgery.
8-? Follow-ups (I assume there will be more of these than the SARPE). I would imagine there are probably at least 4 or 5 follow-ups.

My surgeon is an hour away from my home (and orthodontist).

I realize my case is a little more complicated as I had/will have 2 surgeries, but I would expect to be seeing your surgeon about 7-10 times. Maybe there is some way they can work with you or your orthodontist so you don't need to go in so many times. I would go for a consultation (if it's not too much trouble for you) and just see what they suggest.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

bmueller

#3 Post by bmueller »

Feel free to check out my blog showing appointments step by step.

Keep in mind, it's just my experience, other surgeons may want to see you more or less.

randomdude

#4 Post by randomdude »

Oh wow I was hoping for more round 3-4 visits haha. I guess that throws that idea out the window then I'd probably be looking at $150 for flights every time as well on top of visit fees it would add up quickly. So instead of being about to get braces this year and surgery start of 2016 I will have to wait till mid next year for braces and end of 2016 for surgery because every surgeon in my city has an inexplicably long waiting list it's doing my head in! :x

randomdude

#5 Post by randomdude »

Thanks for the blog becky I'll have to check it out properly when I have the time.

Am I correct in reading it cost you roughly $35,000? That figure made me a little sick! :yuck:

sirwired

#6 Post by sirwired »

You'll really need to call the surgeons office and ask. While normally you might have three or so pre-op visits and several follow ups, you might be able to have your ortho handle much of the work and relay results to the surgeon. Certainly those that travel to other countries to have surgery don't fly there over and over.

I'd say plan on two pre-op visits (one if they get creative with your ortho) a week at the surgery site, and maybe another follow up some time later.

Even with the local surgeon, why would you wait so long to get braces? Even if the surgeon is backed up, unless the ortho requires it, you generally don't need to see the surgeon before being braced.

sparkles

#7 Post by sparkles »

I'm in the UK so maybe a little bit different.

I had 2 pre-op appointments with both my ortho and max fax surgeon. The first appointment was for max fax to have a look at me and agree that I was ready for surgery and to book a date.
The second appointment took around an hour as the surgeon explained the op to me, took impressions for surgical guide plates and ortho put t-hooks on.
I think I would've had a second appointment or the other appointment would have been longer if I had required a face pull (not 100% sure that's what it's called but as far as I know, it's when they take measurements, etc and predict what you will look like post-surgery) but I didn't need that done because my case was pretty straightforward.

After surgery, I saw ortho and max fax every week for the first 6 weeks so it might be worth considering, do you want to have a 45 minute flight to see your surgeon one week out of surgery?...personally I *just* managed going 20 minutes there and back by car door to door.
Also, now I only see my ortho and I will be 12 weeks post-op on Friday but a possible complication has arisen and I'm pretty sure max fax will have to have a look at me. It is easy because they are both in the same hospital so all my ortho will need to do is telephone my surgeon and as long as he's not tied up with something, he should be there in 5/10 minutes.

randomdude

#8 Post by randomdude »

[quote="sirwired"]

Even with the local surgeon, why would you wait so long to get braces? Even if the surgeon is backed up, unless the ortho requires it, you generally don't need to see the surgeon before being braced.[/quote]

My orthodontist wont start treatment until I've seen the surgeon first something about coming up with a treatment plan together, which is why I'm so frustrated.

katsface

#9 Post by katsface »

Does you orthodontist have a surgeon he/she works with regularly? If not, and if you haven't been braced yet, it might be worth shopping around for an ortho who works on surgical cases regularly. Hopefully they will have at least a couple surgeons they work with and could recommend, as well as a system for making sure you don't have to travel excessively or wait a long time before getting braced. An ortho who is more familiar with surgical cases might be able to answer your questions about how the pre/post op surgeon appointments will go too.

Is the 6 month waiting list to get a surgery, or to get an appointment to have an evaluation? If it's to have a surgery, get an appointment for a consultation now so you can get your braces on. It will take a while in braces to get your teeth aligned and ready for surgery anyway. If it's just to get an appointment for a consultation, you might consider finding an ortho who is comfortable starting your treatment without the surgeon's input.

So much of the planning is up to the orthodontist, so for me it was really important to find an ortho who works on surgical cases regularly and who has a refined system in place for more complicated cases.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!