Jaw surgery people: what do you need to buy online?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Jaw surgery people: what do you need to buy online?

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

We're planning to add a jaw surgery supply category to DentaKit.com.

What sort of supplies would you like to see the website carry? What would be the most helpful? What do you have the most trouble finding? What didn't they give you at the hospital or at your doctor's office that you needed to buy for yourself?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

katsface

Re: Jaw surgery people: what do you need to buy online?

#2 Post by katsface »

I needed the following things for my SARPE that I would have love to purchase through this site:
  • Jaw Bra
  • extra cold packs for the Jaw Bra
  • arnica pills (for briusing)
  • bromelaine pills (for swelling)
  • hot pack
  • alcohol-free mouthwash
  • soft baby toothbrush
My doctors office/hospital didn't really give me anything for my SARPE. I'm assuming they won't for my BSSO either (though I'm going to ask for syringes).

I could eat soft foods almost immediately after that surgery, and was not banded shut so I didn't need as much stuff.

Things I'm looking for for my upcoming BSSO:
  • Zip-N-Squeeze bags
  • pureed organic gluten free baby food/fruit in squeeze pouches
  • a bed-rest pillow (for sleeping sitting up)
  • a travel neck pillow (also for sleeping sitting up)
  • whiteboard for communicating
  • I'll be making a list of questions and phrases that I can print and point to for easy communication
  • a pill crusher - not sure if I'll need it but just in case
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Thank you, Katsface!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

sparkles

#4 Post by sparkles »

My hospital only gave me pain meds and mouthwash (2 big bottles of the stuff and I still have a bottle left).

I found that I didn't really need 'things' other than tissues and ice packs for the first 3 days.

Tissues are easily bought from the chemist or supermarket so I wouldn't want to purchase those online, as with toothbrushes and vaseline (for cracked lips).

I would've liked the icepack holder, the ones I see in photos that go round the head...no such thing here in the UK for me.

I wasn't wired shut so the first few weeks of liquid diet, I needed my hand blender.
Didn't go down the route of baby food or protein powders or in need of any different cutlery or cups (maybe I was lucky with where my numbness was/is because I could drink from a cup from day one).

I remember looking at lists for going into hospital on here and thinking oh I'll need this and I'll need that, but in reality, all I really needed was tissues and a scarf for going home with.

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

My Most Useful post-op tool was a tumbler with a square top to act as a pour-spout to get liquids into my mouth without spilling. (Your lips can't form a proper seal against the round top of a regular glass) In my case, it was a promotional tumbler I got with a bottle of Irish Whiskey, but I'm sure they are available elsewhere...

katsface

#6 Post by katsface »

I thought of a few more things. Not sure if they are appropriate to sell here, but that's for you to judge :)

I actually purchased these online last night. The store was having an additional 20% off sale (its over now) so I pulled the trigger. The wedge pillow would have been over $100 without the sale but it looked like a good shape/size for sleeping upright...Still. It's just a foam wedge with a cover, people. It shouldn't be THAT expensive!
  • A foam wedge pillow for sleeping upright (I got this instead of a bed-rest pillow)
  • a lap tray with folding legs for eating etc. in bed
  • a juicer - I got a hamilton beach "big mouth" model that's really highly rated and is pretty well priced
Treatment-
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

katsface wrote:I thought of a few more things. Not sure if they are appropriate to sell here, but that's for you to judge :)

I actually purchased these online last night. The store was having an additional 20% off sale (its over now) so I pulled the trigger. The wedge pillow would have been over $100 without the sale but it looked like a good shape/size for sleeping upright...Still. It's just a foam wedge with a cover, people. It shouldn't be THAT expensive!
Too late to cancel your order? You can get a wedge pillow from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $30 - 20% via one of their ubiquitous coupons.

katsface

#8 Post by katsface »

sirwired wrote:
katsface wrote:I thought of a few more things. Not sure if they are appropriate to sell here, but that's for you to judge :)

Too late to cancel your order? You can get a wedge pillow from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $30 - 20% via one of their ubiquitous coupons.
It's too late but I'm not sure it would matter anyway. The one I bought has a much steeper incline and will allow me to sleep almost completely upright. The other wedge pillows I've seen only offer a small incline which would be great if I had more bed pillows but we just moved and I tossed the extras. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

It's this one :

It's available at BB&B too. I bought mine at JCP. The original price was marked up compared to the BB&B price, but it was on sale when I purchased which brought it down to the same price as BB&B, and I got an additional 20% off of the sale price. It was an OK deal I suppose. I should keep an eye out for the BB&B coupons though for future purchases. Thanks for the heads up!
Treatment-
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO