Debracing soon - is it really better to wait?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chloespeaks

Debracing soon - is it really better to wait?

#1 Post by chloespeaks »

I was on here alot in the beginning and now also nearing the end. I guess that having braces hasn't been that problematic for me, more like a Patience Game :gavel: :-+

my question is to those who are POST BRACES and now in the next stage, assuming there is another one, any advice on the virtues of waiting a little after teeth have settled...i.e. ortho says they are ready??

Mine has mentioned that it is beneficial to keep them on a month or two after every 'stage' is reached. So far it was after the bite had opened up, and then the power chains. So now, I've been waiting for the power chains to pull the teeth together and it is a VERY long wait in my case. Three months and very little movement. I can't help it but I've been giving my ortho/dentist the "ARE they ready yet!!!" treatment. Now I'm wondering whether that's all just a little silly.

Maybe waiting for them to settle in a bit before they come off is better in the long term, so they won't shift so readily. What do people think????

touchofhiddencharm

Re: Debracing soon - is it really better to wait?

#2 Post by touchofhiddencharm »

with any treatment regardless of if your teeth have been in the same position for months or moved up until your last appt, you should still be on top of wearing your retainer. thats the most important thing for when your braces come off. if your ortho says youre ready to get them off, keeping them on for a long time after isnt going to do anything. you might as well just have your retainer. if you think your teeth are going to move fast, then your ortho may think the same and will instruct you to wear your retainer 24 hours a day for the rest couple of months and then only at night for the rest of your life. i say go ahead and get them off.

Heythereimfrank

Re: Debracing soon - is it really better to wait?

#3 Post by Heythereimfrank »

My biggest piece of advice would be to trust your ortho. They're a trained professional who has dedicated their life to understanding the movement of teeth, and they totally wouldn't steer you wrong :) (at least, not internationally j would think).