8 weeks post-op, "swelling" issue and asymmetrical face

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

boardsandbreaks

8 weeks post-op, "swelling" issue and asymmetrical face

#1 Post by boardsandbreaks »

In mid July I broke my jaw in two spots after a longboarding accident, and had lower jaw surgery to put a titanium plate in my chin. I also was wired shut for two weeks to deal with my mandibular fracture, which my oral surgeon said would be best rather than doing an open reduction. Healing has gone very smoothly, however I still have very obvious asymmetry in my face due to what my surgeon claims is "muscle swelling" that will go away in time. I'm a bit reluctant though, because it looks like this. http://i58.tinypic.com/8wdw06.jpg

When I went in to get my arch bars off last week and they took some x-rays, my surgeon and the x-ray tech claim that everything appears to be healing normally in terms of the bone, but when I touch the "swollen" area it feels hard, almost like a lump from right under my ear to about a fourth of the way down my jawline. Feels flat on the opposite (unharmed) side.

I propped myself up at night for the first four or five weeks post op, but that didn't seem to do a whole lot. Icing/heat packs only helped for the first two weeks post op to relieve the severe swelling. I'm currently taking bromelain 1000mg 2x a day, and I've tried to increase my fluid intake, but again there hasn't been much improvement. On occasion I'll have a "good day" where it doesn't seem as prominent, but it's still noticeable nonetheless.

I struggle a lot with self-esteem as it is, and it's been hard for me getting so many odd looks and people asking me if I'm having an allergic reaction or something. Any recommendations as to how I can get this more under control, preferably soon?

needabsso

Re: 8 weeks post-op, "swelling" issue and asymmetrical face

#2 Post by needabsso »

Because the symptoms are only present on the side that was injured. I wonder if it's scar tissue that you are feeling. If the site is not too painful and you've been given the okay to touch it. I would massage it.
Google some massage techniques for injured bone/scar tissue and take it from there.(:
I know it's not much of a quality answer, but it's deff what's reccommended in the case of most sports injuries in general!(:

boardsandbreaks

#3 Post by boardsandbreaks »

needabsso wrote:
> Because the symptoms are only present on the side that was injured. I wonder if it's
> scar tissue that you are feeling. If the site is not too painful and you've been
> given the okay to touch it. I would massage it.
> Google some massage techniques for injured bone/scar tissue and take it from there.(:
> I know it's not much of a quality answer, but it's deff what's reccommended in the
> case of most sports injuries in general!(:

Haven't tried this technique yet. The site isn't painful, so I'll give it a shot - no harm in trying I suppose!

needabsso

#4 Post by needabsso »

Good luck.
Google myofascial massage and sport injuries. (:

hankie

#5 Post by hankie »

Hi,

I know this was posted a few years ago, however I'm currently going through the exact same thing with one side of my jaw having a hardish bone-like that is lopsided and I'm feeling worried that its not just swelling and actually a deformity. I was wondering what happened with your jaw, was it just scar tissue and did it reduce after a few months?

Thanks so much!

Konbawa076

#6 Post by Konbawa076 »

Hi,

I know this reply comes late but I wanted to tell you about massages. I had my surgery 11 days ago and my surgeon beside the ice packs and a water cold machine that he lended me recommanded me to go to a kinesitherapist and to get lymphatic massages almost daily as soon as I get off the hospital.

And this helped a lot reduce the swelling specially around my oedema "hard spot" very swollen in my neck and chin. I never heard in any video and vlog about jaw surgery talking about any kind of massages so I wanted to point that out here, in hope it helps someone :)
SARPE Surgery November 2017

Lefort I BSSO Genioplasty and Zygoma 18th February 2019