just genioplasty to solve lip incompetence?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

just genioplasty to solve lip incompetence?

#1 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

My surgeon suggested I may benefit from genioplasty (without any other jaw surgery), to help my (mostly lower) lip incompetence. Anyone here who can comment on this/ had just genioplasty to solve lip incompetence? Did it work?
And how long is the recovery time? (I have a young child to care for, so hopefully not too long....).
I hope anybody can help me!

Leon123

Re: just genioplasty to solve lip incompetence?

#2 Post by Leon123 »

Hello

Im 3 weeks post op SG and lips are more incompetence, my MS said i have to wait more until the final result to appear, now i hardly close my mouth besides lower teeth showing while before it was not.
Recovery time was 2 weeks, the surgery itself wasnt a big deal it took only one hour and one day at the hospital, still have some numbness and stiffness and discomfort

If u r ok with your facial profile, then choose a less invasive procedure, a few millimeters can make a huge change in the face in the frontal view.. I wish i did read about that before going for the surgery.

Hope that helps

Anna5

#3 Post by Anna5 »

Hello Leon,

Thanks for your reply. I hope you get a good further recovery and that you will be happy with the final result. Why did you chose to get a genioplasty?
I might do it for my lip incompetence, but my profile is ok to me. (I know my jaw/chin is a bit recessed but I am ok with this....). I definitely don't want to end up with a witchy pointy chin!
How bad is the recovery time? Is it 2 weeks in bed? Or are you just a bit tired/ feel some discomfort but can take on easy activities very soon? (like driving short distances, caring a couple of hours for a child?). I hope you can help me!

Leon123

#4 Post by Leon123 »

Hello anna

I did it for both reasons, a little recessed chin and lip incompetence, anyway i wish i didnt go for that it makes the face looks longer and narrower but i think it depend on how millimeter the chin will advanced forward or downward, just one day in bed but two weeks on soft diet and some inability to speak properly, and the swelling for sure it needs time to go but its not the same with anybody sometimes it takes more than.
Its a procedure that involve bone cutting and long recovery time in the end, took ur time thinking and researching before u go for it.

Leon123

#5 Post by Leon123 »

I like to add one more thing
Lip incompetence has an issue with upper jaw prutrusion and a sliding genio is done mostly for cosmetic reasons so check first with an orthodintist before going to the maxillofacial surgion

Anna5

#6 Post by Anna5 »

Thanks for your help, Leon.
I will definitely do good research before deciding to get this procedure or not and ask my ortho and surgeon for good advise.
Do you regret your genio?
The only reason I consider it is my lip incompetence. I don't mind my receding chin, I may not be perfect but I think it makes me 'me'!

Leon123

#7 Post by Leon123 »

U r most welcome anna
Yes i regret so much and i agree with u that i shoudnlt be perfect but now its too late, im even think of reversal i really dont like the new me. I was having a high hopes before doing the surgery but now i just wish to go back in time.
The risk of nerve damage itself its not worth it, think of much less invasive ways like injectable fillers or bottox i read it can help with lip incompetence.

Anna5

#8 Post by Anna5 »

I feel very sorry for you, Leon, that you are not happy with the results and that you regret having your surgery done.... Maybe you should give it some time first, because you are only a couple of weeks postop? And if you keep unhappy, that I keep you can get the surgery revised....
I will definitely look into other options as well. Or maybe just leave it as it is. When I read this forums, it seems like the common opinion is that lip incompetence is some of a horrible disfigurement that warrants risky surgery, but maybe it is not that bad to have some lip incompetence?
I wish you all the very best, Leon, I feel with you and hope for a good solution for you.

Leon123

#9 Post by Leon123 »

Thank you very much Anna i really hope that things will be solved soon..

Now its been 4 weeks and all the swelling is gone so its the final result which im not used to, my surgeon wants me to wait more saying i need time to get used to it, reversal is not an easy prucedure as i did read some stories in this forum, nerve damage, chin ptosis,post surgical complicatins..
Well im 27 and i was not ready to all of this and it was unexpected, sometimes doctors give u what u want to hear but not that the frontal view will be change.. Its really not bad to have a lip incompetence with many options to solve it without a procedure that involve a bone cutting like genioplasty.

Wish u all the best

Anna5

#10 Post by Anna5 »

How are you doing now, Leon?

cassiem

#11 Post by cassiem »

Does anyone know some good alternatives to genioplasty to alleviate lip incompetence? I thought maxillary impaction or sliding genioplasty were the only options for it. Leon, Hope you are happier now with the results of your genioplasty.

Leon123

#12 Post by Leon123 »

cassiem wrote:Does anyone know some good alternatives to genioplasty to alleviate lip incompetence? I thought maxillary impaction or sliding genioplasty were the only options for it. Leon, Hope you are happier now with the results of your genioplasty.
Thank you, im still not happy as i have more lip incompetence after the genio, get many consultations to know all your options before taking any decision a genio alone could not solve your problem.

Anna5

#13 Post by Anna5 »

Hello,

I am very sorry that you are still not happy, Leon, that the genio did even make your lip incompetence worse....

As far as I understand a genio can help lip incompetence if you have lip incompetence due to a receding chin (like I have). But when you have a gummy smile or so, you need upper jaw surgery to solve lip incompetence.

Do/Did you have upper or lower lip incompetence, Leon? I have mostly lower lip incompetence and I am still hopeful that a genio might help.

I wish you all the best, Leon. Do you think you will go for a reversal?

Greetings from Anna

oimysizex

#14 Post by oimysizex »

Hey Anna, have you decided to go ahead with this?

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Anna5

#15 Post by Anna5 »

No, I haven't decided yet.
I am going to talk to a surgeon next week to discuss my options.