Extremely sensitive teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeyKay1991

Extremely sensitive teeth?

#1 Post by HeyKay1991 »

Hi guys, I've been in braces since May and ever since I've had them, I've noticed my two front teeth are extremely very sensitive. I'm sure everyone has had incidents where they've accidentally knocked a tooth while brushing, flossing or whatever. My teeth get very sore now even at this little incident (nothing traumatic, just a slip of the hand) and they'll stay sore for about a week. Has anyone with braces experienced this? My two front teeth are the teeth that need moving the most, so could that be the reason why?

clearlybracedmomma23

Re: Extremely sensitive teeth?

#2 Post by clearlybracedmomma23 »

[quote="HeyKay1991"]Hi guys, I've been in braces since May and ever since I've had them, I've noticed my two front teeth are extremely very sensitive. I'm sure everyone has had incidents where they've accidentally knocked a tooth while brushing, flossing or whatever. My teeth get very sore now even at this little incident (nothing traumatic, just a slip of the hand) and they'll stay sore for about a week. Has anyone with braces experienced this? My two front teeth are the teeth that need moving the most, so could that be the reason why?

your going to feel tooth sensitivity on different teeth on and off throughout treatment.its annoying but it means the braces are doing their job yay! wherever the most pressure is at the time is usually where you'll end up having sore teeth..so if most of the pressure is concentrated on the front teeth thats where you'll most likely experience the sensitivity and then a fees days later it could be a molar or two and then move again...its all relative to the arduous process of teeth straitening.

cs2thecox

#3 Post by cs2thecox »

Mine went crazy recently, and even brushing with my normal toothpaste ended up hurting. Weird.
I switched to Sensodyne toothpaste for a week or so and it calmed down.

No idea of the causes of mine, but throwing some dedicated sensitive toothpaste at the problem definitely won't make it worse...!

kathydell

#4 Post by kathydell »

I had a lot of sensitivity early on (first 6-12 months) and it would move around. Ortho said that was normal.

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

There's no reason not to use sensitive toothpaste the whole time you are in braces. It's not something your teeth can get "addicted" to. (The reason they tell you on the tube not to use it long is so you aren't covering up a serious dental problem, like an abscess. Given the fact you are seeing a dentist in person every few weeks, I think that's something they'd notice, with or without sensitive toothpaste.)

cs2thecox

#6 Post by cs2thecox »

Agreed - I just prefer some of the non sensitive ones for taste etc. (And cost!)

HeyKay1991

#7 Post by HeyKay1991 »

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm not so concerned now!