elastics? Move teeth or jaw?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bjohnson207

elastics? Move teeth or jaw?

#1 Post by bjohnson207 »

I have had elastics for a few weeks now. Just wondering if they are suppose to pull my teeth back or forward or do they change the position of my jaw???? Also I don't really notice a difference at all, how long till you noticed a difference in your bit with rubberbands.

sirwired

Re: elastics? Move teeth or jaw?

#2 Post by sirwired »

Either or both (or neither! sometimes they just hold things in place.) You'll have to ask your ortho what your particular configuration is supposed to be doing.

oldfart

#3 Post by oldfart »

Direction of movement is normally based on the configuration of the elastics. Sometimes its to move one tooth, sometimes its to move the whole arch.

Jaw position can be changed also. I know as I have the top arch pulled in with Class II elastics my bottom jaw is adjusting as to how it must be positioned to bite. Also the elastics are training the muscles as to the correct position of the jaw to bite.

As for difference? Everyones teeth move different. On one side i've had the same elastics for four months and havent noticed any difference at all. Until I compared photos from back then.

Hope this helps a bit.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

TMJJill

#4 Post by TMJJill »

I agree with the others.

The elastics can be used for both. By the time my braces came off, I had used 20 hooks an worn several different elastic configurations. With some configurations, I noticed change fairly quickly, with others it was slow and steady, and with one I never had change despite the heavy-duty elastics. It really does depend on the individual.

If you want to know why you are wearing a particular configuration, I agree it is good to talk to your Orthodontist.

Good luck.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

MIbean

#5 Post by MIbean »

I believe they're supposed to correct the bite, but a small gap has appeared between my right incisor and canine since starting my elastics. It'll get corrected, but they said it was because of the pull from the elastics. I've been in elastics for about 10 weeks now.

chloespeaks

#6 Post by chloespeaks »

MIbean wrote:I believe they're supposed to correct the bite, but a small gap has appeared between my right incisor and canine since starting my elastics. It'll get corrected, but they said it was because of the pull from the elastics. I've been in elastics for about 10 weeks now.
A gap opened up in an awkward space between my left incisor and canine too! I believe it's pulling them all together.
I am super impatient for the gaps to close but as they are the front teeth. I've been in them for 5 weeks! Dentist says as soon as the gaps close braces are coming OFF!! Party! :-*

MIbean

#7 Post by MIbean »

Really hoping I'm on the final stretch as well as opposed to being in elastics for months and months. It just all depends on how everything moves. I know I have at least 2 more months in them, so congrats! :jump:

pamboys09

#8 Post by pamboys09 »

my friend whos an ortho told me it move both