Quick question...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Reflektor

Quick question...

#1 Post by Reflektor »

I've had braces for about 9 months now, and I haven't been seen by my actual orthodontist since I got them on. It's always been other people (one of whom is listed as a "clinical assistant" on the website) that change the wires etc. Is that normal? Will the ortho be advising them in some capacity, or are they qualified to do all the work themselves? It seems strange to me...

TheProfessor

Re: Quick question...

#2 Post by TheProfessor »

That sounds weird to me. When I go to the ortho for an adjustment, the assistant always takes a look and removes the wires if necessary then my ortho comes over and looks at my progress since the last visit. She then tells the assistant what to do (new thickness of wire, etc.) and makes the tentative plan for my next adjustment. I would be very uncomfortable if the ortho didn't look at my teeth EVERY time I'm there. We are paying A LOT of money to get our teeth worked on by someone with a degree in Orthodontia. If I were you, I would ask to talk to the Ortho the next time you go for an adjustment.
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

Reflektor

#3 Post by Reflektor »

I thought it was weird, yeah. I know my orthodontist isn't always there as he is the head ortho at a bunch of different practices, but to never see him is quite unsettling...

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: I feel that I should quickly add that I think they're doing a wonderful job, and I've been really happy with the progress so far. Just thought it was worth asking.

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

Every time I've gone in for either an adjustment or a breakage repair the orthodontist has looked at my teeth and bite. The assistants will remove ligs, place wires, and replace the ligs but the ortho gives them the wire he wants to use.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

chichi

#5 Post by chichi »

I'm with the others - this sounds kind of strange. The assistants do most of the work, but the ortho always takes a few moments to check on my progress and he tells them what to do next (wires/elastics/powerchains)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Ambrosia80

#6 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Very strange! :shock:
Damon braces- ceramic uppers, metal lowers

sentence: 15-18 months (Sept.-Dec. 2014)

Reflektor

#7 Post by Reflektor »

Thanks for the responses. I'd like to say it's made me feel better...

I guess I'll have a word next time I'm in there haha!

sirwired

#8 Post by sirwired »

Yeah, the ortho should be supervising your treatment. While it's normal for assistants to do all the hands-on work for a routine adjustment, I've never had a visit go by without the ortho looking in my mouth to check on progress. I'm not even sure it's legal for the ortho to give so little supervision over his/her assistants.

NeilH

#9 Post by NeilH »

At every appointment, my orthodontist has either done all the work or has supervised one of the Ortho therapists to do the work under his instruction. I would definitely raise this the next time you attend for an appointment but I'm sure you are progressing well.

Bracefacebecca24

#10 Post by Bracefacebecca24 »

I only see about 1 minute of my orthodontist when I'm there & I thought that was weird.. & it's not like the office is extremely crowded or anything, I think they have a steady flow but never rushed or anything crazy... Idk my honest opinion they are the most impersonal docs I've ever met but honestly as long as my teeth are looking great I really don't mind too much :3

Mustbcrazy

#11 Post by Mustbcrazy »

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm glad someone posted this question because it really bugged me that the assistant did most of the work when had braces applied a couple weeks ago. The only thing the ortho did was to come over to make sure the brackets were placed properly. I'm not totally comfortable with that.

sirwired

#12 Post by sirwired »

Mustbcrazy wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm glad someone posted this question because it really bugged me that the assistant did most of the work when had braces applied a couple weeks ago. The only thing the ortho did was to come over to make sure the brackets were placed properly. I'm not totally comfortable with that.
It's pretty normal for the assistants to do most of the work. Simply applying the glue and getting them in the correct general area is not particularly tricky work, and is the same for every patient. I'm fairly certain it's normal for assistants to do that and then the ortho checks and fine-tunes the position and cures the cement.

kathydell

#13 Post by kathydell »

Assistants do all the work, however, I get the ligs and wire removed and then the ortho comes to look and plan and tells the assistant what to do. I've never had an appointment where the ortho did not come and do a full inspection and instructions.

djspeece

#14 Post by djspeece »

kathydell wrote:Assistants do all the work, however, I get the ligs and wire removed and then the ortho comes to look and plan and tells the assistant what to do. I've never had an appointment where the ortho did not come and do a full inspection and instructions.
Me too. And in the beginning the ortho was the one to apply the brackets.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

MrsCharisma

#15 Post by MrsCharisma »

Another vote for - odd.

I go every 4 weeks. Assistant removes ligs and calls over ortho. Ortho takes a look (bite together. Smile. Bite together) and gives direction to assistant. Assistant replaces/changes wires/ligs/etc.

My ortho has ALWAYS placed my brackets. The assistant preps the tooth but my ortho does the placement. I'd be a little unsettled if I never saw him

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]