Aligners shift slightly on front top teeth with chewies

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

montygrace

Aligners shift slightly on front top teeth with chewies

#1 Post by montygrace »

Each time i put my aligners in after eating and brushing, i use my chewy for just a minute or so. I find no real effect from doing this, apart from mild itch-type pain and the fact i can visibly see the aligners moving on the two front-most top teeth.

When i bite down, they push up higher on those teeth. But they never stay up. They always, always slip down again as soon as i release the chewy.

Does anyone know if this is normal? I am on tray 2.

arciedee

Re: Aligners shift slightly on front top teeth with chewies

#2 Post by arciedee »

Hm... did you have this problem with the first set of trays or is it just on the second?

Do you have power ridges? My ortho said that the power ridges can cause the trays to want to slip down. If it's only been a day or two since you switched I would say to just keep using the chewies a few times a day and see if it resolves itself in a couple days as your teeth adjust to the new position. My trays definitely don't quite fit right when I first change them and I'll see a bit more clearance on the front teeth even with the chewies, but after I've been wearing a few days them they start to fit more snugly. But if this is a case where you've been wearing them for a week and it's still sliding I'd call your ortho and ask his/her opinion.

montygrace

#3 Post by montygrace »

Thank you :)

Yes, this has happened the whole time, all the way through my first tray and ever since I moved to the second tray also.

I find it's a noticeable shifting when I bite down on the chewy right at the front with those two teeth, the aligner moves up about 1mm and when I release the chewy, it slips down by that 1mm again. I held the chewy down once for about a whole minute and then released and it still shifted down again immediately.

I wonder also, with this second tray, if maybe the way I have to remove it is causing it to stretch or bend or warp.

I am simply unable to remove either top or bottom trays using my outie. This worked well on the first tray, but not the second one. It is just impossible to get the outie between the tray and my teeth at the back and actually pull or push it out. So I've had to resort to using nail scissors just to release those very back molars with the attachments on them and then I use the outie or my fingers to remove the rest of the aligner.

But I notice the aligners on the molars where I use the nail scissors look a bit bent, where I must pull it so hard to get it out.

I did try to just use the outie. Nail scissors were a last resort when my trays along the sides of those molars were full of blood because of how much my gums were gouged from the outie trying over and over again to release the aligner on those molars. The outie itself is almost broken too.

montygrace

#4 Post by montygrace »

Here is a pic of how the aligners sit after use of the chewies...

When I am actively biting down on the chewy, that gap goes away.

arciedee

#5 Post by arciedee »

That's pretty much what mine look like, too. There's always been a slight gap between the tray and my front teeth no matter how much I use the chewies. From what I've read the trays are manufactured that way on purpose so that it doesn't put unnecessary pressure on the edge of the teeth. But if if seems like they're not fitting right it may be worth it to have the orthodontist take a look to be sure!