How much did you guys pay for your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hannahnana

Re: How much did you guys pay for your braces?

#61 Post by hannahnana »

Mine are 1700. I don't have dental insurance, so it is all out of pocket. Mine seem very cheap compared to everybody else! I work at a TV station and I run the ads for the dentist office, so maybe that's why my price was so low.

kiligeorge

#62 Post by kiligeorge »

Mine were $6100. I got a full set of ceramic/clear braces, I'm expected to be in them 20-24 months. I do not have insurance that covers braces, so I had to pay out of pocket. The price covers everything (appointments, retainers, all treatment).

TheProfessor

#63 Post by TheProfessor »

$6500 for 24 months of Damon clear on top 6 and metal everywhere else. The price includes retainers and one year of follow-up. $1500 is covered by my insurance and I expect around a $1200 tax break from using my Flex spending account. So, it will be about $3700 out of pocket for me.
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

metalmomma

#64 Post by metalmomma »

My braces are being done gratis. A very reputable local office agreed to do them at no change for me. My insurance did not cover any adult orthodontics and I could not afford braces. I am a stay at home mom but am very self conscious of my smile and my open bite interfered with eating. My total treatment was originally quoted $5700 for 15 to 24 months of treatment , but thay called on my way home from their consultation and said merry Christmas and the doctor agreed to do them free of charge.

djspeece

#65 Post by djspeece »

metalmomma wrote:My braces are being done gratis. A very reputable local office agreed to do them at no change for me. My insurance did not cover any adult orthodontics and I could not afford braces. I am a stay at home mom but am very self conscious of my smile and my open bite interfered with eating. My total treatment was originally quoted $5700 for 15 to 24 months of treatment , but thay called on my way home from their consultation and said merry Christmas and the doctor agreed to do them free of charge.
Wow great to hear that these things still happen!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

KaylaChristine

#66 Post by KaylaChristine »

I don't remember how much my braces cost when I first had them on (top teeth only). But the quote I just got from my new orthodontist is 7,500. Which is a little on the high side...but she has worked with surgery cases similar to mine before so I'm willing to spend extra to go to someone with that type of experience. Thankfully my dental insurance should pay $1000 of the braces.

jaime

#67 Post by jaime »

I posted before but for some reason didn't put all the details?

Braces: $6250, minus $200 because my sister is at the same ortho = $6050
Insurance: -$2500
Braces out of pocket: $3550

This included an RPE device, and will include a Hawley retainer and later a bonded retainer I believe. All appointments are included, even when/if they run past my expected treatment time.

SARPE/lower 2 wisdom teeth removal: ~$1000. I messed up my insurance stuff and since I was already over my limit for the year, I had to pay for the anaesthesia and extractions out of pocket. :( The SARPE surgery itself is covered by public health insurance (OHIP).

Upper and lower jaw surgery + genioplasty in 2015: $800 for surgeon workups. The rest is covered by public health insurance.

Total expenses: $5350...would have been ~$4500 if I hadn't messed up my insurance.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

bracesjack

#68 Post by bracesjack »

Around $6200.. The price might go up if I need TADS inserted. I have clear upper and traditional metal bottom.

clearlybracedmomma23

#69 Post by clearlybracedmomma23 »

my insurance covers $2,500 of the cost and the rest is on us. we only pay $80/month after a $500 downpayment at the time of starting the contract altogether our out of pocket cost for them is $3,600 absolutely worth every penny and very affordable with such low monthly payments throughout my treatment time.

polishedprefect

#70 Post by polishedprefect »

My total was $5,500 for ceramic uppers and lowers. I'm lucky and my insurance covers $2,000, so I've paid $3,500 out of pocket. I am very grateful as I watch a lot of others in my ortho's office pay a lot more in their monthly payments! I've also not had to pay for anything additional (I just got a TAD put in) and only have to pay if I break more than 5 brackets (haven't broken any yet).

BeautifulDisaster

#71 Post by BeautifulDisaster »

My ortho charges a $6,000 rate for 24 month treatment, not including retainers.
I got a "back-to-school" special, which discounted 10%, dropping it down to $5,400.
I got clear brackets on top for an additional $200.

In total: $5,600.
Insurance coverage: $2,000
Out-of-pocket: $3,600.

Not bad at all! I live in California, which I know makes a huge difference.

27 year old female
Traditional braces: clear uppers, metal lowers
Expected treatment time: 24 months
Brace story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=47574

deathorglory

#72 Post by deathorglory »

I paid something like $7200 out of pocket. Will be reimbursed $2000 through my insurance. I opted for this route because if I paid up front in cash for the entire treatment, I'd get a 5% discount off the total cost. Up front payment with credit cards would've gotten me a 2% discount.

My treatment is 18-24 months in self-ligating metal brackets and my cost includes my essex retainers at the end of treatment, in addition to something like 1-3 years of post-braces check ups. I'm also having jaw surgery. Apparently, had I opted for the extractions route instead of the jaw surgery route, my total would've been in the $8200 range because I'd have had braces for a longer period of time.

I'm in the Seattle, WA area. :)
Braces on March 7th, 2014
Lower Jaw Surgery (BSSO) March 30th, 2015

rocco11510

#73 Post by rocco11510 »

$5,500 for upper and lower metal braces :D

Mustbcrazy

#74 Post by Mustbcrazy »

$5,000 for clear uppers and lowers. I'm in GA.

chloespeaks

#75 Post by chloespeaks »

Wow, this is a great thread. I didn't get a second opinion because I love and trust my dentist who is growing an ortho practice on the side, and had thought she was a bit expensive but now I realize she is right I the ballpark! (she has certificates already and she herself had adult braces not so long ago! Very kind lady)

I paid $6700?, somewhere over 6500 for 24 months of ceramic uppers and lowers. I am currently already at Month 20 so it feels distant :D. Dental practice is in Princeton NJ (exp. area) and I was covered $3000 lifetime ortho by MetroLife dental. Doesn't cover retainers after I think.