Help - my ceramic braces are stained

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cateandrosie

Help - my ceramic braces are stained

#1 Post by cateandrosie »

Would really appreciate advice on this. I got ceramic braces (and I think they are self-ligating) a week ago. All has been fine until today I had a soup which I think might have contained turmeric. The brackets are now bright yellow, and I can't get rid of the colour. I brushed straight away after eating (as soon as I noticed) and have brushed and mouthwashed regularly since but it doesn't seem to be helping. Am in a massive panic as I can't go around with yellow brackets for 18 months!!! All advice very welcome, thank you.

djspeece

Re: Help - my ceramic braces are stained

#2 Post by djspeece »

My first thought would be to rinse with a dilute hydrogen peroxide solution, probably one third peroxide to two thirds water or as your ortho might recommend.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

Are you sure they're self-ligating? Brackets themselves don't stain. If you have regular brackets with ligatures holding the wire in, the ligatures can stain. If that's the case, it might be as easy as your ortho changing them out for new ones (which happens at your adjustments). If they are, in fact, self-ligating, you might be seeing staining of the glue. In that case, check with your ortho or dentist first, but you'll probably end up having to do some sort of rinse like djspeece said.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

cateandrosie

#4 Post by cateandrosie »

Thanks guys - it sounds ridiculous to say I don't know if my braces are self-ligating or not! I am pretty sure they're self ligating and yes I guess it could be staining of the bonding which holds the brackets to the teeth. I've tried bicarb of soda and think it is helping. Will investigate the rinse. Thank you x

mmkay

#5 Post by mmkay »

People have composite resin on their teeth to fill in cavities, and it doesn't turn bright yellow :/ I bet it's ligs or something else temporary.

chichi

#6 Post by chichi »

mmkay wrote:People have composite resin on their teeth to fill in cavities, and it doesn't turn bright yellow :/ I bet it's ligs or something else temporary.
I agree and I'm assuming it's ligs. I just know some people have claimed that their bonding turns yellow, which is not something I have experienced. I don't know what else would have stained if he/she has self-ligating brackets.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

cateandrosie

#7 Post by cateandrosie »

Hi everyone, just to let you know, you were right it was the elastics that have stained and my dentist will swap them out at my next adjustment. Relief! X

cateandrosie

#8 Post by cateandrosie »

Ps thank you for the advice.

Ciara

#9 Post by Ciara »

If you do eat a lot of food with turmeric it might be worth asking your ortho for metal ties instead of elastics. I have metal ties and ceramic brackets and had absolutely no staining for the first 18 months. Then I got power chains and they stain horribly!

CuriousGuest

#10 Post by CuriousGuest »

I have ceramic braces as well, they're white and they don't stain... However, whenever my ortho puts chains (it's transparent) :

they get stained really fast and look bright yellow, due to some of the food I eat and I also drink a lot of coffee... I usually have to wait until my next appointment to have them changed.

AlexO890

#11 Post by AlexO890 »

CuriousGuest wrote:I have ceramic braces as well, they're white and they don't stain... However, whenever my ortho puts chains (it's transparent) :

they get stained really fast and look bright yellow, due to some of the food I eat and I also drink a lot of coffee... I usually have to wait until my next appointment to have them changed.
CuriousGuest, your teeth look amazing!