Who knew these tiny blue spacers could hurt so much....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracedforthewedding

Re: Who knew these tiny blue spacers could hurt so much....

#31 Post by Bracedforthewedding »

Kerryboo wrote:I've had 6 spacers on my top teeth for almost a week. Eating still hurts and my teeth feel so sensitive :( even my bottom teeth feel sensitive and I only have spacers on top. Could it be because I'm chewing differently to avoid the pain?
My entire mouth ached when I had those dang spacers in. I will tell you, I had to wear them for 9 days and about day 4 or 5 I was back to normal with no pain. Just in time for them to come out LOL

2.25.14 Top brackets and arch wire placed
7.1.14 6 Spacers on bottom teeth
7.10.14 Bottom brackets
12.23.14 First power chain on left upper
2.18.15 Propel Treatment on upper right jaw
3.12.15 Wisdom teeth extraction/ TAD placed in pallet

AlexO890

#32 Post by AlexO890 »

I'm reading all these horror stories of spacers and I need to ask, does everyone who gets braces need spacers? I just had my first ortho exam this morning so I'm just beginning.

Bracedforthewedding

#33 Post by Bracedforthewedding »

AlexO890 wrote:I'm reading all these horror stories of spacers and I need to ask, does everyone who gets braces need spacers? I just had my first ortho exam this morning so I'm just beginning.
I got spacers because all of my bottom molars have crowns which had to have molar bands placed on them, I also have my all of my wisdom teeth ( I know, I know, I need to get them out), so I was a little crowded on the bottom anyway! :)

I think each person is different depending on your treatment plan!!

2.25.14 Top brackets and arch wire placed
7.1.14 6 Spacers on bottom teeth
7.10.14 Bottom brackets
12.23.14 First power chain on left upper
2.18.15 Propel Treatment on upper right jaw
3.12.15 Wisdom teeth extraction/ TAD placed in pallet

AlexO890

#34 Post by AlexO890 »

Bracedforthewedding wrote:I think each person is different depending on your treatment plan!!
Here's to hoping my treatment plan doesn't require spacers!!!!!!

pjade1

#35 Post by pjade1 »

Bracedforthewedding wrote:
pjade1 wrote:I am reading this and not looking forward to it. I get spacers in my teeth today. I am not sure how many though and these will be in for 11 days until I get braced. They will do my records first and then the spacers. I guess I will have to stop at the grocery store to buy yogurt.
Spacers were the pits... I hope to never have to have them again.. Do you know if you are getting molar bands?
I have no idea if I am getting molar bands. I will ask them when I get to my appt. I am not really sure why I am getting them.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

AlexO890

#36 Post by AlexO890 »

I made the mistake of watching a youtube clip of getting spacers. They look horrible.

fudge911

#37 Post by fudge911 »

Spacers for me were fine. It's different for everyone and I made the mistake of watching clips on youtube too, but there was absolutely no pain for me. The worse part would be the first 2 days of getting the braces on, not gonna like, it's gonna hurt sooooo bad.

pjade1

#38 Post by pjade1 »

I got 8 spacers put in yesterday and it didn't hurt at all. I also watched those youtube videos, which made it easier for me actually. I thought that they would hurt today but they don't. It's more of an annoyance than anything else. I just want to floss between those teeth but can't. It just feels like hard food stuck between my teeth. I have to have those in for the next 10 days but I will be glad when they are gone. I am getting bands put on my molars so that is why I am getting them. Looks like I will be fully braced then. I think the pain is different for everyone and glad I did not have any. They are in there very tight though.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

deathorglory

#39 Post by deathorglory »

[quote="Bracedforthewedding"][quote="deathorglory"]I was unfortunate enough to have 6 spacers in my top teeth and 5 in my bottom teeth, all molars, for about a MONTH. Chewing was a nightmare! And then a piece of chicken managed to move one spacer in my top to halfway out. That was even more painful...until I pulled it out and put it back in with floss...

Don't worry...after a week or so, the pain goes mostly away. Just.......chew really gently...! And hopefully nothing gets stuck in your teeth and dislodges them. ...Seriously.[/quote]

If they told me I had to have these in for a month I would of died lol. I get my 6 out Thursday praise Jesus!! Lol[/quote]

Well...They were really only supposed to be in for about 2 weeks, but I couldn't get back in to have my braces put on till after I attended a wedding, so they ended up staying in for about a month :(

Now I've got rubber bands, which are a whole different kind of pain...!!!

sally758

#40 Post by sally758 »

I too found spacers incredibly painful. Fortunately, I had to wear them only for 3 days.
Drinking ice water and swirling crushed ice in the mouth helped me a lot.

la7ush

#41 Post by la7ush »

In my case I had them for 7 days and it wasn't that bad. I was playing with them a lot with my tongue and felt quite all right that something was creating space in my overcrowded teeth.