Did you get a wire change on your first adjustment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ichigo9

Did you get a wire change on your first adjustment?

#1 Post by ichigo9 »

Hi all,

My first adjustment is due next week and I was wondering, do people usually get a wire change during the first adjustment? if not, what would the ortho do? just change ligs? I'm just curious as to what other people's experiences were :)

cata

Re: Did you get a wire change on your first adjustment?

#2 Post by cata »

My ortho just changed my ligs at my first adjustment because my teeth were still too crooked for a stronger wire.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

It all depends on how much force the ortho thinks will be required for further movement. If he/she thinks more force will be required, you get a new, thicker, wire. If the current wire is still exerting enough force, you don't.

asylumgreen

#4 Post by asylumgreen »

My first 'adjustment' was more like removing parts of the wire to prepare for extractions... but based on how much pressure I still feel on my teeth, I don't think the wire would've been changed if it wasn't for that.

kewpi

#5 Post by kewpi »

It's probably different for everyone. So far every single one of my adjustments resulted in a wire change (to a thicker one)

Featheryy1221

#6 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I've gotten a different wire at each of my adjustment appointments so far. My ortho originally was going to keep me in the same wire thickness at my last appointment, but the assistant suggested going thicker and he agreed to that. Seems like it all depends on the person. :)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

kathydell

#7 Post by kathydell »

I didn't get a wire change until my 3rd adjustment. My bottoms were really really crowded and crooked so they had to move quite a bit on that first wire before she could move up to the next one.

Nozzelnut

#8 Post by Nozzelnut »

I've had wire changes every appointment.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

SunshineRay

#9 Post by SunshineRay »

I am out of braces now but in my 12 mos with them I never had a wire change.

Ciara

#10 Post by Ciara »

Yes, and I had a wire change at every adjustment for the first 5-6 months but now I've had the same wire on top for absolutely ages and only the bottom one has been changed over the past few visits (I got the bottom braces about 6 months after the top ones).

TheProfessor

#11 Post by TheProfessor »

I got a new top wire at my first adjustment (8 weeks) and at my second adjustment they used the same thickness (0.018) but connected my second molars on top. My bottoms were really crowded and are still in the first wire (0.014, I think). They gave me a new wire at my first adjustment, but not at the second. Hopefully I'll get a thicker wire on bottom at my next adjustment at the beginning of September (that will be 6 months with the "beginner" wire...)
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

bride123105

#12 Post by bride123105 »

new wires

Bracefacebecca24

#13 Post by Bracefacebecca24 »

I've been so anxious to get my wires changed & finally after 4 months & 3 adjustments later I got only my bottom wire changed.. I guess my too just needs more work ::

DrJasonKTam

#14 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Totally going to depend on the way your teeth started off, what types of wires you started with, how long between your bonding and first visit, and what the plan for movement is.

Generally, the early wires act for a couple of months and if allowed to remain long enough, will allow the teeth to straighten enough to get into a new wire. However, this is not always the case, and you may have the same wire replaced and secured more firmly.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

hocuspocus

#15 Post by hocuspocus »

I did not get a wire change on my first visit. I kept the clear aesthetic wire on top and the same metal wire on the bottom.