retention after overjet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lalaloo

retention after overjet

#1 Post by Lalaloo »

Hello

What kind of retention do the orthos use after fixing an overjet to prevent the relapse?

anedia

Re: retention after overjet

#2 Post by anedia »

I dont think it would be any different from anything else. Retainers - possibly the bonded kind.
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

farmboy

Re: retention after overjet

#3 Post by farmboy »

My orthodontist told me early on that she wouldn't recommend anything other than Hawley retainers (plastic with wires around the teeth) on both arches.

She offers the Essix (moulded plastic) retainers, but said the Hawleys would be good in my case, because she could make adjustments if the teeth started to shift. As I had an overjet that made my front teeth protrude, this was important.

My doctor doesn't like the bonded retainers, particularly on the lower arch. She said bonded retainers make flossing very difficult, leading to cleaning problems and potential gum issues. I had bonded retainers after having braces the first time when I was younger. I wore mine for several years, and my teeth still shifted, sometimes breaking the bonding as they moved...defeating the purpose of the darned things.