SARPE + braces + triple jaw surgery blog

Did you start your own braces diary at another website or blog? Tell everyone about it here, and make a link to its web address.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaime

SARPE + braces + triple jaw surgery blog

#1 Post by jaime »

Hello all!

I started my braces journey back in November (when I started getting consultations).

Without going into my whole story, my journey has involved SARPE, currently braces, and eventually will involve triple jaw surgery (upper, lower, genioplasty).

I've been blogging about all of it at http://unexpectedlyjaime.blogspot.com
I blog about other stuff too, so if you're only interested in the braces/SARPE, I use tags for my posts, which you can select from the righthand side of the page.

Thanks in advance if you check it out!

Anna5

Re: SARPE + braces + triple jaw surgery blog

#2 Post by Anna5 »

Nice blog. And great outcome of your SARPE surgery! I was wondering, why do you still need upper jaw surgery in the future?
I wish you very good luck with your treatment!

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

Thanks so much for checking out my blog, Anna!

I have a crossbite and according to my surgeon, my upper jaw is tilted backwards. I have an anterior open bite with a lot of wear on my molars. My crossbite is really evident in a recent photo I posted, you can see my midline isn't under my septum.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Anna5

#4 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

Oh, now I see, but only after you pointed it out! Didn't SARPE resolve your crossbite/is your palate still too narrow? Your midline is indeed a bit off (mine is too), but maybe your ortho can sort this out with elastics.
Anyway, I wish you lots of luck with your treatment!

jaime

#5 Post by jaime »

Knowing other people's midline is off makes me feel a lot better. I felt like a mutant when I noticed originally!

No, the SARPE didn't resolve the crossbite, it only widened it, but it's still not aligned properly. I am hoping elastics help although I'm getting the surgery regardless, so I guess it doesn't matter if elastics work or not.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Anna5

#6 Post by Anna5 »

I think many people have a bit an off midline. I have one too, to me it is very obvious, but other people even don't seem to notice.
That is a bit strange that SARPE didn't resolve your crossbite, because I thought that is the purpose of SARPE? But maybe you are getting some more expansion in the main surgery?

PS In the case you'd like to see my off midline there are pictures in my thread: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45801

jaime

#7 Post by jaime »

The purpose of SARPE is to widen the upper jaw. I think if it resolves a crossbite due to a narrow palate, that's one thing, but the widening didn't change that for me.

I looked at your post...your teeth and midline is looking so great, you must be so happy with that progress. You have really nice looking teeth too!
My blog

Anna5

#8 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

I think your arch has very nicely widened with SARPE!

Thanks you for your very kind words about my teeth! I wish I could feel it the same myself....I also have a narrow arch and still consider SARPE. But I am not sure because my ortho doesn't particularly recommend it anymore.
I am still feeling a bit insecure about my teeth and therefore thinking about surgery myself. What do you think if you see my teeth? Do you honestly think they are fine or do you think I may benefit from surgery/ do you think my narrow upper jaw is very obvious? Here is a picture of my arch: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... ery+narrow. Do you think it is very narrow?

What is the main reason for you to the braces and surgery? Cosmetic or functional? Did you have bad jaw pain?
Or do you just want to feel more self confident with your teeth?

I wish you very good luck with your treatment, jaime! And I keep checking your blog!

jaime

#9 Post by jaime »

Personally, I think your teeth look great! If I woke up tomorrow and had your teeth, I would be thrilled! Your arch looks normal to me, I would never think it's narrow. It looks like everything aligns nicely with your lower teeth, at least from the photos you posted. I know you want to feel confident for your own sake, but any person on the street would not think you need any work. Honestly, everything looks great. I think going through this process and hearing so many opinions can make us second guess ourselves. I didn't even think my teeth looked that bad pre-treatment and now I'm almost obsessed with my teeth and smile.
My blog

Anna5

#10 Post by Anna5 »

Thank you for your very kind words, jaime.
Surely I am my own worst critic. I am also obsessed about my teeth and smile, which isn't good, because there is so much more on us than just our teeth!

jaime

#11 Post by jaime »

Just updated my blog last night with some new progress photos that were current up to last night. Check it out, the link is in my signature!
My blog

Anna5

#12 Post by Anna5 »

WOW, You have made very great progress!!! The braces have staightened your teeth A LOT already. How encouraging!

jaime

#13 Post by jaime »

Anna5 wrote:WOW, You have made very great progress!!! The braces have staightened your teeth A LOT already. How encouraging!
Thanks, Anna! They told me my teeth have moved a lot for an adult. I have no idea why, other than maybe having the SARPE already, since my teeth had already shifted around for that.
My blog

Kita12

#14 Post by Kita12 »

Wow awesome progress, love seeing Adults going through this :D :D