What is SEATING?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chicken

What is SEATING?

#1 Post by Chicken »

During my last adjustment my orthodontist was discussing my next adjustment with the technician.
He stated that he wanted me to have class 2 elastics and SEATING.
The tech glanced at him with a look of disbelief/shock/horror difficult to say which and questioned SEATING?
The ortho confirmed yes SEATING.
I am now slightly perturbed and was hoping that someone could enlighten me as to what SEATING could possibly be? :?
This is to be my last adjustment before they are off.

I thank you in advance.

Woobster

Re: What is SEATING?

#2 Post by Woobster »

I had a night splint "seated", but I don't know of anything braces related having to be seated.

Is there a chance they could be working on your retainers already??

Chicken

#3 Post by Chicken »

I have no clue.
I do know that I will require a longer appointment because of it.

boodles8

#4 Post by boodles8 »

I googled "seating orthodontic" and came upon a PDF from an orthodontist. It's rather long, but maybe it's talking about what you are?

mcnamara.s3.amazonaws.com/EndTreatment.pdf‎

Do let us know what this seating is, when it happens to you.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

Chicken

#5 Post by Chicken »

boodles8 wrote:I googled "seating orthodontic" and came upon a PDF from an orthodontist. It's rather long, but maybe it's talking about what you are?

mcnamara.s3.amazonaws.com/EndTreatment.pdf‎

Do let us know what this seating is, when it happens to you.
Thank you for the pdf link. Did you see that elastic configuration? They better not try that on me. I will have to tell them to get lost. I will certainly let you know what it entails. It will be on 29th April. Still awhile to go.

JumpTheDitch

#6 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Sounds like what I had done at the end of my first round in braces. I never knew what it was called (I had no warning that it would be happening), I was just told I had to come in for an extra appointment the day before debanding. I turned up as requested and had a student ortho start effectively wiring my arches together with long elastics. It was horrific. Allegedly it was supposed to ".. make everything nice and tight.." for retainer impressions. I was told to come back in the morning for debanding. Apparently I was supposed to be able to drink through a straw; I never attempted it. I drove home in tears (thank god I hadn't caught public transport). Did I mention it was horrific?? It made me feel claustrophobic and panicky, and I found it incredibly demeaning. I would have appreciated being notified that it was planned, or been given the option to give my consent or not; I definitely would have refused. It certainly took the shine off my much-anticipated debanding.

Looking back though, it seems to be a pointless exercise. If teeth could be moved effectively (without relapse) overnight, surely we wouldn't be needing to go through wearing braces for 1-2 years (as seems to be the average time frame)? Since I didn't get any kind of retainers for a week post-debanding, surely any movement potentially attained during the 18-hour nightmare of 'seating' would be rendered null and void by the 7 days of unfettered teeth between debanding and getting a retainer? Wouldn't it be better to skip the 'seating' torture and protect the 'true' orthodontic movement achieved over the course of treatment by going straight into a retainer? I'm certainly no ortho but it seems to me that any movement achieved through 'seating' would be superficial and not particularly valuable.

Given that I'm now having to undergo treatment to undo the retracted mandible I didn't have before my ortho treatment, but do have following the treatment that happened to include 'seating', I have to admit that I personally would be very wary of undergoing treatment by an ortho that uses 'seating'. My current dentist is almost the opposite of my previous ortho in her approach; she's so considered and gentle, I personally think her approach is much more effective than the high-turnover, less personal approach I had with the 'seating' orthodontist. Just my 2c worth...

All the best with your debanding :thumbsup:

Chicken

#7 Post by Chicken »

Oh dear. I feel very afraid. I go away on vacation a few days after the next adjustment. I will refuse to wear such a contraption while I am away and try to eat gourmet food with it. It will be bad enough celebrating my half century while wearing the braces. It sounds like it maybe similar to having your jaw wired shut. I will let you know what happens at the end of next month. I go to my regular dentist tomorrow for a cleaning. I will ask him and see if he knows.

Nozzelnut

#8 Post by Nozzelnut »

I was reading over some older threads and I clicked on this.

Did the orthodontist go through with the seating? (whatever it is?)
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

Chicken

#9 Post by Chicken »

No seating. I went for my adjustment and nothing awful happened. He didnt bring it up and I wasnt about to remind him by asking what it is. I may when I get them off out of curiosity.

Nozzelnut

#10 Post by Nozzelnut »

Considering that no one here knows what it is; that's probably the best course of action.

I'm curious as to what it does; if you think to ask him, please let us know too.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months

kathydell

#11 Post by kathydell »

I guess I'm left wondering why you didn't just ask your orthodontist while you were there. That said, call and leave a message and ask for the orthodontist to call you and talk you through it. It's your treatment and a reasonable expectation to be told what's going on.

Nozzelnut

#12 Post by Nozzelnut »

I was poking around Youtube tonight. There was a video about using elastics and how to put them on. It briefly showed how to put elastics on in the "seating" configuration. It looked like a vertical triangle; the option they showed was around the lower cuspid and bicuspid to the upper bicuspid. It didn't look like anything too out of the ordinary; but it was only one elastic. Not sure if the seating treatment would involve more elastics though.