Newbie from UK

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kewpi

Newbie from UK

#1 Post by kewpi »

Hi everyone,

Have had my braces since April Fool's day on the NHS at the age of 34!
The current plan is to have at least lower jaw surgery by next summer.

Finally managed to eat and just in time for my easter meal too!

Get teased at work a little bit but I don't mind at all.
I'm enjoying picking out more color sets during my next adjustments :)

Look forward to be on this journey with the rest of you!

Ambrosia80

Re: Newbie from UK

#2 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Welcome! :)
Damon braces- ceramic uppers, metal lowers

sentence: 15-18 months (Sept.-Dec. 2014)

kelse

#3 Post by kelse »

Welcome!

I am in the uk. Braces since mid december - I have not had too much bother with them :-)

I had my wisdom teeth removed on wednesday. I've had no pain from the teeth, just struggled with op side effects.

I will be having double jaw surgery in about a year.

Good luck with your journey x

Ataerys14

#4 Post by Ataerys14 »

Welcome
I too am in the UK and being being braced tomorrow
Best of luck :D

oimysizex

#5 Post by oimysizex »

Hello! Uk here too! How you adjusting to your new braces?

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

snowfairy84

#6 Post by snowfairy84 »

congratulations !

How on earth did you manage to obtain braces on the NHS?!

well done!!
x

oimysizex

#7 Post by oimysizex »

Hi snowfairy! I'm also getting treatment on the nhs, I have no idea how!

snowfairy84

#8 Post by snowfairy84 »

[quote="oimysizex"]Hi snowfairy! I'm also getting treatment on the nhs, I have no idea how![/quote]

wow ! that amazing ! I live in nottingham and have been told that further to needing to find a ortho who has a contract to treat adults on the nhs (which is extremely hard to find??!!) that you have to have very severe issues with your teeth ?! I have an extreme deep bite which is giving me problems at the back of my teeth and wearing down my lower teeth significantly. I also have what I think is class 2 division 1 on one side where my teeth sit on top of one another instead of on the other side where they fit in to one another !

did you just go for a consultation and was offered the treatment on the nhs if you dont mind me asking?

x

oimysizex

#9 Post by oimysizex »

Hello, I got a referral from my dentist, so may be wise asking from one off them, it wouldn't hurt to ask. Your teeth don't need to be in that bad of a condition for braces, my teeth weren't the problem it was my bite itself which can only be corrected by surgery, you mentioned you had a deep bite? Or was it over bite? These could very well be caused by your jaws. Do you have any noticeable wear from your bad bite/teeth? Do you have an tmj problems? Cracking/popping/ locking of the jaw? When getting nhs treatment they like to know/hear how it's effecting you mentally too.
In all honesty my case was a grade 4 but I still wouldn't class me as severe. I think where you should go now is your dentist for a referral, I'm from Manchester, if you was to get nhs treatment it would more than likely be at a hospital,

Sorry if I've missed anything out, feel free to message me
Xx

oimysizex

#10 Post by oimysizex »

Sorry you mentioned you do have wear! You have to b anywhere between grade 3 - grade 5 to qualify for treatment xx

snowfairy84

#11 Post by snowfairy84 »

Are over bite and deep bite the same thing?

I did consult my dentist about ortho work and wanted to refer me to someone in house, he never mentioned nhs treatment tho (most probably because its predominately a private practice :? )

Yes I have a small chin and I think under developed jaw - I honestly believe it affects my health and gives me headaches - I have trouble biting and chewing and it's harder to maintain the health of my chew as my problem is very detrimental it just seems the dentist would prefer you to pay for treatment rather than have it provided for on the nhs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123209627@N08/

The link should hopefully give you pictures of my teeth :shock: :shock:

I think it can really just be the luck of the draw of whether you manage to get the NHS funded but I have no idea how to go about it

Thanks x

snowfairy84

#12 Post by snowfairy84 »

forgot to ask - are you under the hospital for you treatment ? I think my problem sounds similar to yours, the position of my jaw has affected my teeth x

oimysizex

#13 Post by oimysizex »

I can see your problem, you also have a lot of crowding on your bottom teeth, you could perhaps ring up your dentist and ask if they do nhs referrals, you do have quite a bad deep bite, you could also say it's hard to clean your teeth because of the crowding, your chin looks similar to mine from the side. I think you should definitely persue the possibility of a nhs referral. My treatment is under a hospital, as I think most high street orthodontist are private anyway! X

oimysizex

#14 Post by oimysizex »

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44630 a few pics of my teeth on my story as you can see my teeth are not as bad as your no where near just my bite, and I qualified, don't give up!

snowfairy84

#15 Post by snowfairy84 »

Gosh I see what you mean so the trick may be to try and find a dentist which does adult nhs referrals for ortho work ?
Perhaps I should travel to your dentist ! Worth it if I get funding ! Ha ha ! Did u go on a waiting list x