IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

millersgirl

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#301 Post by millersgirl »

When I was brushing my teeth last night I noticed half of a previously unexposed link is now in plain view....there's movement!! :jump: :jump: :jump: :-* :-* :-* :dance: :dance: :dance: Hopefully this will be confirmed at my ortho appointment next week.

cheyeaitsxchelsea

#302 Post by cheyeaitsxchelsea »

Please refer to my initial braces story! (all pictures are posted there) http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=33536

Its been 3 1/2 years since I had my braces unfairly and abrubtly taken off. Well, since then my canine has been exposed.....naturally! Yep thats right, it came down on its own. But I think its stuck the way it is ;/

I need some advice or insight into getting it brought down to the correct position (with braces, IF im approved via insurance) or if Im not approved what is the best approach.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Braced- March 30th 2010.

Estimated time- 18-21 months with cooperation from impacted canine.

millersgirl

#303 Post by millersgirl »

Hey Chelsea,
I just read your story. How incredibly frustrating...even now, no braces for people over 21? What kind of crap is that? As far as the canine though, my sister had hers just come down on its own but it looks off. I want to say it looks twisted. She's almost 40 now so I don't think it's doing any more movement on it's own. My impacted tooth was laying horizontal so there really was no proper moving of it's own. I'm sorry I'm not much help, as I'm not aware of a way to correct this without the braces.

28andbraced

#304 Post by 28andbraced »

Chelsea, I read your story and I'm so sorry that you've been through the wringer with your braces--how awful! BUT: your canine coming down on its own saves you the expense and hassle of surgery, which is lucky. (Trying to find the bright side!) That said, I really don't know that there is a way to get your canine to come all the way down without braces; you obviously have the option of letting nature take its course and seeing if it comes further down on its own, but braces are about the only way to assist it. My impacted canine started growing in last fall, and my options were braces or pulling it out; I opted not to pull it, and am working with my ortho to bring it into my arch. Ultimately, I think that's the best option (regardless of finances, etc. for a second) since the canine is such an important tooth--as you already know!--and because nothing beats your own teeth when it comes to bite functionality and health. Good luck with your next step(s), and please keep us all updated on how you are doing! You've got lots of folks here cheering for you and your teeth! :mrgreen:

28andbraced

#305 Post by 28andbraced »

Figured I'd better post a quick update, since there have been some pretty massive changes in my bite lately.

My last ortho appointment was late in March. The big metal bands around the outside of my brackets were removed, and now I have additional wires running from bracket to bracket and back again (pictures below); it actually looks really cool and, dare I say, almost pretty and feminine! :lol: The downside is that I keep finding sharp pieces with my tongue, which is annoying. The other enormous change we made was to keep the bracket on my baby tooth completely detached from the wire; instead, the wire runs directly over the top of the bracket. Ortho did this to force the baby tooth down and help coax it out. I have to say that, in the 2 weeks since that was done, the difference is unbelievable. And hideous. My only concern is that progress has stopped and I cannot get this stupid &*%$@*# thing out of my mouth--I've tried everything I can think to do, and it won't pop out!!! My midline has been aligned (not an intentional occurrence as far as I know) for the first time in my adult life, and I like it. But my right front tooth is still being pushed forward, making it appear shorter than the left one. My right incisor (the tooth between canine and front tooth) has also been forced to the left, and it KILLS. It hurts to even floss it. :( But right now my goal is getting this baby tooth out, hopefully without having an extraction. My next appointment is the end of the month, so we'll see!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

millersgirl

#306 Post by millersgirl »

Just got home from my first adjustment after activation and I'm happy to report my ortho did note movement!! He said next visit on May 14th we get to do another xray. :jump: :jump: :jump: He is applying what feels to be more pressure this time. All I was thinking was dear God do not let the bracket come unattached from the tooth! I cannot wait for the xray next month!

Mik194

#307 Post by Mik194 »

got my braces first week December and now got my canine exposure surgery yesterday (thursday 4/11). Im getting it activated tuesday 4/15. How many times do you guys usually go to the ortho to get it adjusted? I'm from los angeles and american by the way not the UK so it might be a little different.

millersgirl

#308 Post by millersgirl »

Hi Mik,
I'm also in California. I wasn't able to have mine activated as fast as you due to swelling. I got it activated a full month after exposure and so far have had the pressure adjusted at my regular adjustments which are 4 weeks apart right now. I get an xray next month which I'm very much looking forward to but I can tell just based on the new link sticking out of my gums that the tooth is moving. How'd your surgery go? Are you feeling okay? How's pain?

Ataerys14

#309 Post by Ataerys14 »

Hello all

Literally just got braced today (well top 4 fastbraces) and was told about my impacted canine, very scared and confused so please can I join the club. Ortho is still debating options?

millersgirl

#310 Post by millersgirl »

Ataerys14 wrote:Hello all

Literally just got braced today (well top 4 fastbraces) and was told about my impacted canine, very scared and confused so please can I join the club. Ortho is still debating options?

Aww I'm envious...I couldn't get fast braces because of the impacted canine.
Welcome to the club! :-1

Ataerys14

#311 Post by Ataerys14 »

Thanks millersgirl!
I was all up for the fastbraces before I learned about the canine...now I'm trying to stay positive but secretly freaking out, this will mean my sentence is longer than the original 5-6 months stated (I knew this could be the case as it was based on "intial consultation")
Call me naive but what are the options? Appointment is not until 3 weeks - I figure ortho didnt want to make any promises :cry:

Siobhan

#312 Post by Siobhan »

Ataerys14 wrote:Thanks millersgirl!
I was all up for the fastbraces before I learned about the canine...now I'm trying to stay positive but secretly freaking out, this will mean my sentence is longer than the original 5-6 months stated (I knew this could be the case as it was based on "intial consultation")
Call me naive but what are the options? Appointment is not until 3 weeks - I figure ortho didnt want to make any promises :cry:

I think the options are to try to bring down the impacted canine using a chain attached to your braces or to have the tooth removed and replaced with an implant. Every case is different so good to talk to your Ortho and figure out your options. Even if you decide on a treatment that takes longer than 5 months, it'll go by quickly. Best of luck!

millersgirl

#313 Post by millersgirl »

Ataerys14 wrote:Thanks millersgirl!
It depends all on how your canine looks. Mine was impacted to the point of laying horizontally in the roof of my mouth behind my front teeth. It's going to take at least 5-6 just to pull it down. I don't want to bum you out but after almost 4 months my top teeth are still a mess...possibly bigger mess than when we started...because the ortho is just trying to make as big of a gap as possible for the canine to come into. He's worried about it getting caught up in the roots of the other teeth at this point. My bottom teeth though are starting to look really nice though. But I'm going to guess your impacted tooth isn't as bad as mine. (The fast braces ortho literally took one look at my xray and was like, "fast braces are not for you." and sent me on my way) Some peoples come in on its own after just pulling the baby tooth and making space. Treatment all depends on how the tooth is. Do you know if it's just above and needs a little help being pulled down, or if it was way off course like mine and needs the full treatment?

jenna88

#314 Post by jenna88 »

Hello, canine activation day is tomorrow and I am hoping when my ortho has a look he will notice a slight movement down of the tooth on its own?!?! Hopefully all will go to plan and I can post some picture updates to show you guys what it looks like :D ARGHH so excited

Mik194

#315 Post by Mik194 »

Hi @millersgirl !

There was literally no pain until right after I got the surgery. It was only for like 1 or 2 hrs and then i took some advil. I had sores in my mouth from the surgery and it was hard and annoying to talk cuz it hurt but now theyre gone and everythings fine! I already notice some white stuff coming down and i can see the silver bracket already on the bottom of my gums so I feel like by next month or so my tooth will be attached to my braces! Not sure tho. How is your tooth?