How much did you guys pay for your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tashi23

How much did you guys pay for your braces?

#1 Post by Tashi23 »

I'm getting braces in May right before i turn 24, wish i could have got them when i was younger but my parent's insurance didn't cover them. Now, i am finally able to afford them because of my own insurance and because i am in a union. I am getting clear ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom which goes for $4600, but because the Ortho office works together with my union they are dropping the fee down to $2975. My insurance will cover :-* $1925 dropping it all the way down to $1,050, i already paid for my x-rays and the down payment before getting my braces on. My balance in now $475. How amazing is that?

Bikerchick85

Re: How much did you guys pay for your braces?

#2 Post by Bikerchick85 »

That is a pretty awesome price! (Before and after the insurance).
I went with the most experienced ortho in my area (who also treated me as a kid) and I paid $7190 for ceramic upper and metal lowers for a sentence of 24 months and that includes one set of retainers and 6 months of retainer check ups. I had to pay $400 for 4 extractions separately. Worth every penny to me as I know she is the best and treats lots of adults!
Congrats on starting your journey!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

Tashi23

#3 Post by Tashi23 »

Wow! That is a lot. There is no way i could afford that, and thank you.

jessicachung

#4 Post by jessicachung »

My top and bottom clear ceremic braces cost S$4100 which includes retainers and excluding the xrays$120, molds$300, cleaning$90, slandering $60
It was originally $4800 but because my friend referred me so I got a special discount. My 4 wisdom tooth surgery cost $4k.
Last edited by jessicachung on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

parsleysage

#5 Post by parsleysage »

My quotes so far:

First ortho
  • -$3840, bottom braces only for 14 months
    -$6180, top and bottom braces and surcharge for being a surgical case (unknown treatment time)
Second ortho
  • -$6850, top and bottom braces for 28-32 months
    -$8140, the above plus a surcharge for being a surgical case
Covered by insurance at 50% up to $2500. So after insurance we are looking at a range of $1920 to $5640 so far. Keep in mind the lowest quote would involve me getting VERY expensive cosmetic work (not covered by insurance) on the top. And the top quotes would involve adding the cost of surgery (hopefully covered by insurance). AND, 28-32 months is a lot longer than the 18-22 months the "average" patient is quoted.

All options included consultation, x-ray, models, retainers, and one year of aftercare.

So basically... you are in an AWESOME situation! Congratulations :)

Tashi23

#6 Post by Tashi23 »

I am becoming more grateful by the second. I have really good dental insurance i'm getting my wisdom teeth extracted this month and its not going to cost me a thing.

samoorelaw

#7 Post by samoorelaw »

I paid $6,895 for ceramic brackets on top and 4 ceramics on the bottom with the rest metal: I have since had the 4 ceramic brackets on the bottom changed to metal because the ceramic brackets were deteriorating. Insurance didn't cover any portion of this.

For my surgery, after my medical insurance covered it (after several appeals and almost 1.5 years of fighting - UHC is the worst), my end including the $2,000 out of network deductible is $3,026. The anesthesia is $954 (in network deductible is $1,000 which I didn't meet but the $954 is discounted from the original $1,360 quote). Total for surgery: $3,980 (would have been $9,924 without insurance).

Braces + surgery: $10,875.

I'll still need 8 crowns after the braces come off and assuming my insurance covers those, my end will be approximately $3,200.

Yeah, fixing my teeth is costing me a fortune. Still, this is better than the over $50,000 amount I was originally quoted just for the surgery alone by the first surgeon I went to! So glad I didn't use him and went with the surgeon my dentist and orthodontist both recommended.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Woobster

#8 Post by Woobster »

$6400 for my Damons. All out of pocket.

It'll be worth it in the end! :BigGrin:

oldfart

#9 Post by oldfart »

One full set for myself, and one son. And One set of 'Phase i" for another for $10K.

I did an initial consult said i had four kids that eventually would all have to get done, thought thier price was high, and left. Had a call waiting for me when I got home that they would cut $800 off the initial quote. I also got a discount for bringing in another family member, plus a discount for paying the whole balance in advance. After totalling everything up it came to like $10,300. Told them I could only get a loan for $10K so couldn't go more than that, so they dropped it down to $10K. Insurance covered $1K each of two of my kids. So overall dropped it from around $15K originally, to $10K out of pocket.

Moral: Always negotiate. And use your kids to your advantage.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

MrsCharisma

#10 Post by MrsCharisma »

I have no orthodontic coverage on my insurance.

$5400 for full braces, xrays, retainers (bonded on top and removable) and I think like 6 months or 1 year of follow up after debanding.

When I had braces the FIRST time in like 2001, it was like $3500. I kick myself all the time for not wearing my retainer!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

tee

#11 Post by tee »

$6000 for all orthodontics, no coverage or tax credit because I'm an adult and it's considered cosmetic :roll:

Surgery will be another $5000.

kids041

#12 Post by kids041 »

I am paying for 2 sets at one time
One set of braces for my daughter $5,800
One set of braces for me $6,400
total $12,220
I did get a multi-family discount of $250. The above costs include all x-rays, moulds, apts., 2 retainers and visits to check the retainers.
All out of pocket..... <sigh>
no dental ins when we started, now we do, but no orthodontic coverage for either of us on our policy. At least cleanings will be covered. (looking for the light in the tunnel)
The ortho office is GREAT about working with their patients to have a manageable payment plan thank goodness! Interest free payments- willing to spread them out over 3 years! Otherwise we would NEVER be able to "fix" ourselves :)

Ciara

#13 Post by Ciara »

According to the currency convertor, I paid US$7,800 for 3 years of treatment, ceramic upper and lower. This does not include the monthly visits (¥5000) - $49.00 every month. They have not charged me for emergency visits....

millersgirl

#14 Post by millersgirl »

Hello,
I'm another with ceramic uppers metal bottoms. My total is $7,000 for a projected 30 months. My insurance covers $1,500 and it covered 80% of my oral surgeries and tooth extractions. The remaining balance I'm paying from my flexible spending account so I'm actually (when you look at the big picture) saving another $2000...or at least that's what the folks at FSA have told me. It's worth EVERY penny.

kathydell

#15 Post by kathydell »

Roughly $5,600 for ceramic upper & lower including retainers and a year of follow up. Luckily, I have generous insurance that covers adult orthodontics for $1,500 so that helps a lot.