Eating in braces....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anedia

Re: Eating in braces....

#16 Post by anedia »

I pretty much cut everything up into pieces now.
It's for two reasons - front teeth are pretty sensitive AND I don't like getting food stuck in my front teeth.
You can avoid a lot of stuff getting in there by cutting things into pieces.
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

caudalie

#17 Post by caudalie »

Yeah, same goes for me. I've to chop everything to pieces. I just tried biting into a strawberry yesterday.. didn't go too well, haha.

sukibeth

#18 Post by sukibeth »

I'm on month 7 and I think it was around about 5 months in that I even thought about eating anything close to a wrap. Bagels, tacos (oh, how I miss you tacos...), and anything on a roll were pretty much impossible until then. Sad part is, yesterday I got my bottom braces on and I get to start the whole thing over again. So, there is hope!

mollycat

#19 Post by mollycat »

I'm just 3 days into my second time in braces. I've been surprised by the discomfort caused by trying to bite into a banana and a hard boiled egg. I know those will get better, so I'm still being patient.

I know my memory of my first round is fuzzy (it was about 30 years ago), and braces have changed a bit, but I thought I remembered eating pizza my first day with braces. I remember slightly sore teeth, but not much about eating soft foods for an extended time. I know I was good about avoiding stuff I wasn't supposed to eat (chewing gum, nuts, etc.), but I think I did that to be good to my braces, not because they would have hurt. I'm thinking that my mouth was just more flexible and resilient back then. The rest of me gets sore more easily now, too…

Molly

groovyladyliss

#20 Post by groovyladyliss »

I cut everything up into pieces. At least I look fancier when I eat pizza ;)

Langers00

#21 Post by Langers00 »

I'm about 1.5 months in and am eating most things normally now. Although I did forget today and tried to bite into my daughters apple she had left discarded. I nearly hit the roof! Lesson learned.