Got 4 teeth extracted for braces, what to do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kimkracke1

Got 4 teeth extracted for braces, what to do?

#1 Post by Kimkracke1 »

Hey everybody ^.^
I recently got 4 bicuspids removed for braces because of over crowding. I did a ton of research online. From all the research I read they all said not to do that because it will push your teeth backwards to fill in the extra space from after the straightening. The research was all saying that since it will push your teeth back wards that you face will become more flat and your nose and chin will become prominent. Basically changing your whole profile. Well then after I was concerned, I went to my orthodontist. He didn't comfort me or anything and told me it could happen. Well honestly I didn't really trust or like him so I switched to a different orthodontist. He was really nice. He told me that with the extra space that he could pull my back teeth forward instead of my front teeth backwards in order to fill in the space that's left over. Well I thought that was a brilliant idea.. Until I looked up more information. Now I'm reading in many different places that if your back teeth go forward to fill in spaces that it could cause sleep apnea, no room for your tongue, and your cheeks can cave in. I really wish I could just get implants and stop worrying about all of this but it's way to much money/:
Does anybody know anything about this or any experience or anything?

sirwired

Re: Got 4 teeth extracted for braces, what to do?

#3 Post by sirwired »

Your orthodontist didn't pull those teeth for no reason at all. The vast majority of extraction cases go just fine; if all sorts of horrible side-effects were inevitable, no extractions would ever be done.

Kimkracke1

#4 Post by Kimkracke1 »

I'm just asking on opinions on what should I do? Should I let them let my front teeth be pushed back or get my back teeth pushed forward to fill in the space?

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

That's a question for your orthodontist, as it depends on your particular situation. My wife was horribly buck-toothed, so it made total sense for her front teeth to be pushed backwards after extractions (the final result was spectacular... she has a beautiful smile); for other cases it may make more sense for the back to be pulled forward.

JumpTheDitch

#6 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I don't see how moving your molars forward can cause sleep apnea or lessen room for your tongue - what are the specifics of these issues? My molars are being moved forward; I already had sleep apnea which my dentist is well aware of & hopes might improve. My tongue space was also noted by two separate dentists as being less than adequate; moving the previously retracted uppers forward again is also hoped to help with this. My dentist recommended moving the molars forward as opposed to implants, & suggested nerve damage & other complications could arise if I went down the implants route. Not to mention the need to replace the implants down the track. What else has you concerned about moving molars forward? Do u have any overjet or just the crowding?

Kimkracke1

#7 Post by Kimkracke1 »

I just have crowding, I'm just so scared. I've read so many horror stories. I just wish I could like find an orthodontist that has a phd or something. They all say different things. I'm just scared by pushing the molars forward I'll have negative effects just like if they were to push my teeth back to fill in the spaces. What do you think is a better solution?

chichi

#8 Post by chichi »

Kimkracke1 wrote:I just wish I could like find an orthodontist that has a phd or something.
You mean the DDS or DMD (or other) isn't enough? Those take more schooling than a PhD...

Like sirwired has said, a vast majority of extraction cases are successful. You hear the horror stories because that's what people will put out there. No one is going to make the effort just to say, "I got teeth extracted and it went perfectly!"
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

klipstine1

#9 Post by klipstine1 »

Ok, so I'm about to have 4 extraction done next Friday and Braces the following Wednesday. What I've learned from all of my research is that we SEE so many of the bad stories because the people with great stories just go on with their lives. The bad stories get blasted all over different braces sites because they aren't happy with the end result. Does that make sense? If the results were always bad then they wouldn't recommend extractions. Plus who's to say that the extractions caused it and it wasn't just from aging? I don't know, I'm not an expert. Since you already had them done, I think you should just go ahead and get braces. I'm sure you will be happy in the end. Keep us updated on what you do! Good luck! :)

JillD

#10 Post by JillD »

I am glad that i didn't read the horror stories before my extractions. If I had, I might have chickened out and wouldn't be enjoying my better balanced face.

Bikerchick85

#11 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Kimkracke1, I agree with Sirwired... your original ortho didn't pull those teeth for no reason. The amount of forward movement of the molars and backwards movement of the front teeth can be controlled. Naturally the back teeth want to move forward into these spaces created by extraction.
I had severe crowding and a protrusive profile and went with extractions. Like you, I had my doubts after I did it because of the things I've seen and read about it. However, I am totally thrilled with my decision. My profile looks normal finally, all of my teeth are in my arches, and my lips are still as full as ever. I can also actually fully close my mouth now without straining to do so.
When you become a full member (when your name turns green), look at my story. I'm 14 months in and have lots of pics in my story.
My suggestion, is to move your front teeth back just enough until you are pleased with your profile, then start moving the back teeth forward the rest of the way. This is what I told my ortho I wanted to do and she gave me full control :)
Good luck!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

sirwired

#12 Post by sirwired »

Kimkracke1 wrote:I just have crowding, I'm just so scared. I've read so many horror stories. I just wish I could like find an orthodontist that has a phd or something. They all say different things. I'm just scared by pushing the molars forward I'll have negative effects just like if they were to push my teeth back to fill in the spaces. What do you think is a better solution?
That's not a question anybody here can answer; it's a question for your orthodontist who has access to your records, and more importantly, your mouth. There is no single best answer that can be applied to everybody; some will be well served by bringing the back teeth forward, others will be better treated by pushing the front teeth backwards.

And each and every board-certified orthodontist is already pretty well trained. After an undergraduate degree and several years of dental school, (after which they are now full dentists), the very best and/or motivated go on to get specialty degrees, such as in orthodontics, where they study for several more years before undergoing their board exam.

Certainly it's possible to earn a PhD in orthodontics, but you are unlikely to find many such orthos outside of the faculty of a dental school, and given how lucrative private practice can be, the faculty isn't necessarily going to have any greater clinical skill for a "regular" case than an experienced ortho in private practice.

Shxyshun

#13 Post by Shxyshun »

My sister had extractions and I can assure you she looks exactly the same as she did before. Her nose or chin don't look any different.

ruchel

#14 Post by ruchel »

[quote="Bikerchick85"]Kimkracke1, I agree with Sirwired... your original ortho didn't pull those teeth for no reason. The amount of forward movement of the molars and backwards movement of the front teeth can be controlled. Naturally the back teeth want to move forward into these spaces created by extraction.
I had severe crowding and a protrusive profile and went with extractions. Like you, I had my doubts after I did it because of the things I've seen and read about it. However, I am totally thrilled with my decision. My profile looks normal finally, all of my teeth are in my arches, and my lips are still as full as ever. I can also actually fully close my mouth now without straining to do so.
When you become a full member (when your name turns green), look at my story. I'm 14 months in and have lots of pics in my story.
My suggestion, is to move your front teeth back just enough until you are pleased with your profile, then start moving the back teeth forward the rest of the way. This is what I told my ortho I wanted to do and she gave me full control :)
Good luck![/quote]

Hi I'm new here **Waves hand**
I'm just starting my ortho journey - And need 4 extractions as well - Thanks for posting this and I hope I can see your story as well - reading the negatives about extractions has me freaked! - I have a front snagle tooth that I initially saw the ortho about as well as jaw problems - Also being recommend for jaw surgery I was more freaked out about the operation! Then googling extractions I am more freaked out about them - Thanks for posting a positive it has been difficult to find positive info about extractions online.

nuttybunny

#15 Post by nuttybunny »

Kimkracke1 wrote:
> Hey everybody ^.^
> I recently got 4 bicuspids removed for braces because of over crowding. I
> did a ton of research online. From all the research I read they all said
> not to do that because it will push your teeth backwards to fill in the
> extra space from after the straightening. The research was all saying that
> since it will push your teeth back wards that you face will become more
> flat and your nose and chin will become prominent. Basically changing your
> whole profile. Well then after I was concerned, I went to my orthodontist.
> He didn't comfort me or anything and told me it could happen. Well honestly
> I didn't really trust or like him so I switched to a different
> orthodontist. He was really nice. He told me that with the extra space that
> he could pull my back teeth forward instead of my front teeth backwards in
> order to fill in the space that's left over. Well I thought that was a
> brilliant idea.. Until I looked up more information. Now I'm reading in
> many different places that if your back teeth go forward to fill in spaces
> that it could cause sleep apnea, no room for your tongue, and your cheeks
> can cave in. I really wish I could just get implants and stop worrying
> about all of this but it's way to much money/:
> Does anybody know anything about this or any experience or anything?

Update? Did you move forward with having your back teeth moved forward? What has that been like?