Edge to Edge Bite - Surgery?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JACO

Edge to Edge Bite - Surgery?

#1 Post by JACO »

I am just about to seek treatment for my edge-to-edge bite (multiple consultations over the next few weeks). Currently I am biting on only one of my front teeth, though my back right molar will also touch if I press down hard. My jaw is giving me more and more pain and I am seeing significant wear on my front teeth.

Of those of you who have received treatment for an edge-to-edge bite, did your treatment require surgery? My past dentist said I would likely need jaw surgery, and the thought is what scared me away from getting help. Now, I'm ready to do anything to make this better but am not sure what I should be mentally prepared for.

Thanks!

sirwired

Re: Edge to Edge Bite - Surgery?

#2 Post by sirwired »

It's hard to say what is needed to fix your problem... but yes, if you have skeletal mis-alignment, surgery is more likely to be necessary. However, it's nothing to be terrified of. Surgery is no fun, to be sure, but recovery is more tedious than dangerous or painful.

JACO

#3 Post by JACO »

I guess my main concern is about long term consequences (i.e. loss of feeling in parts of my face, as I've heard happens). In the past I've had some dentists/past ortho say I would need surgery, while others have told me my bite could be easily fixed without.

I'll find out soon enough. Darn work getting in the way...the wait is killing me!

JACO

#4 Post by JACO »

Now that I'm a full blown user, here are a few photos of my situation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bracedincollege?

#5 Post by bracedincollege? »

I am currently in the same situation as you. When relaxed, my jaw naturally wants to be almost in an underbite position. I had braces as a teenager, but I think just due to natural growth patterns, my jaw kept on growing. I feel like surgery could potentially be an option, but unfortunately probably not at this point, as I am about to enter the professional world, and don't have the time to invest in it. Maybe somewhere down the road through...

c2steph

#6 Post by c2steph »

How many consultations have you had? I don't know much about this because I just started the process. I have an under bite (to me it is a very slight under bite) and the 1st orthodontist that I went to mentioned surgery, but stated that the problem could be fixed my removing two teeth (although there are other reasons why teeth need to be removed).

The 2nd orthodontist that I went to did not mention surgery at all and stated that it could be fixed by removing two teeth.
28yrs old planning to get braces soon.
My journey so far:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46316
Putting my braces on hold: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46364

JACO

#7 Post by JACO »

c2steph wrote:How many consultations have you had? I don't know much about this because I just started the process. I have an under bite (to me it is a very slight under bite) and the 1st orthodontist that I went to mentioned surgery, but stated that the problem could be fixed my removing two teeth (although there are other reasons why teeth need to be removed).

The 2nd orthodontist that I went to did not mention surgery at all and stated that it could be fixed by removing two teeth.
No consultations recently (I had one a few years ago but decided against it), however I have three in the next three weeks. I'll keep you updated!

Personally, I'd probably prefer removing a couple teeth over full jaw surgery. But we will see. Fingers crossed for no extractions and no surgery.

JACO

#8 Post by JACO »

Well, had my first consultation today. Orthodontist #1 says no surgery (!!!!), no extractions, and 18mos using the Damon system. Unfortunately no clear/ceramic option :(.

Next consultation is Wednesday...will be interested to see what ortho #2 has to say.

JACO

#9 Post by JACO »

Well, had another consultation today. This ortho said Invisalign is an option :D :shock: ! He is an invisalign preferred provider, so I trust his judgement. Only problem is it is really expensive.

Now decision time!

Gerib

#10 Post by Gerib »

JACO wrote:Well, had another consultation today. This ortho said Invisalign is an option :D :shock: ! He is an invisalign preferred provider, so I trust his judgement. Only problem is it is really expensive.

Now decision time!

They pay for that preferred provider option, so be wary...
Geri

Braces on 2/18/14, elastics since day 1.

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/glcobb2 ... %20Journey
The album above is my journey in photos. I am intending to keep it updated with progress photos.