I feel like i was kicked in the face..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalmomma

I feel like i was kicked in the face..

#1 Post by metalmomma »

That is exactly how I felt this morning when I woke up. Had my first adjustment yesterday which included a new archwire and elastics. My top front two teeth are tied together to prevent a gap that the elastics can cause. The wire is 0.16 but was custom bent by the orthodontist. The elastics run from the upper centers to the loops on the bottom wire and then back to the molar band. They will hopefully help close my open bite. My ortho joked saying that i would soon be cursing him, and boy i actually am cursing him right this moment. My mouth is in some serious pain... BUT i know this will all be worth it! It is so psychology frustrating that you know you can stop the pain and just take these darn elastics out and it would feel so much better but yet we choose to keep them in because we know the results are worth it. I just have to keep taking it one day at a time and stay strong :)

Gerib

Re: I feel like i was kicked in the face..

#2 Post by Gerib »

I hear you momma.... Hurting here too. But you are right, it's worth it. Little pain lots to gain.
Geri

Braces on 2/18/14, elastics since day 1.

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/glcobb2 ... %20Journey
The album above is my journey in photos. I am intending to keep it updated with progress photos.

TheKT

#3 Post by TheKT »

Omg! That looks awkward Nd painful, your bottom teeth look like they have made great progress. How long is your sentence with these rubber bands and the tie?

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

You're making great progress. Stay strong!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Nana51

#5 Post by Nana51 »

You can do it! Look how far you've come!

metalmomma

#6 Post by metalmomma »

Thank you everyone! So far day two is much better. I don't have the immediate desire to crawl under a rock and hide all day. Lol. My total sentence is 15 to 24 months braced. So far all I know is 5 weeks of current elactic configuration. It will depend on my cooperation and how well my teeth respond as to how long I will have to wear them. But I was warned in beginning of treatment that elastics would play a big role. As with everything else, I know it will get easier :)

beckyboo0205

#7 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Interesting brackets. Never seen those kind before.

That configuration of elastics does look frustrating. I'm 5 days into elastics so I feel ya. Just stay strong!

Ciara

#8 Post by Ciara »

You've made fantastic progress! Hang in there...this too shall pass.

Norrie

#9 Post by Norrie »

I've used those exact words several times. Kicked in the face really does describe it well. Motrin is my best friend for a couple of days after an adjustment (usually the pain doesn't kick in for me until about 6-8 hours after an adjustment, and the two days after it are always the worst). I hope that you're on the other side soon. You're making incredible progress! Your teeth look awesome.

aliceayres

#10 Post by aliceayres »

That looks intense, stay strong.

Anna5

#11 Post by Anna5 »

I sincerely feel with you, mettalmomma. It must be so hard to be in these elastics. Do you have to wear them 24 hours a day? But as the others said, stay strong (but complain as much as you need on this forum, we are here to support you!) and I am sure the results will be worth all the pain you are going through now. I wish you lots of strengths!

Bconnellyguitar

#12 Post by Bconnellyguitar »

WOW! Your teeth look better than mine and I've been all the way through treatment. Keep going.

2XRound

#13 Post by 2XRound »

How can you eat with that arrangement? :shock: Looks like no fun. My elastics are mercifully on the sides.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

metalmomma

#14 Post by metalmomma »

Thank you everyone for all the kind words of encouragement! It's been a little while since I posted about my experience with elastics. Since then I've had another adjustment which only included adding a third elastic in an upside down V configuration and the good news that my estimated treatment time could be cut in half from 24 months to much closer to 12 months. Definitely makes wearing the elastics so worth it. And quite honestly I've gotten very used to them and I barely notice them except when I have to take them all out every time I want to eat anything.
I'm excited for my next appointment in the beginning of May. New wire, hardware, supposedly the works. Lol. Well at least that's what my Ortho said. Until then I just need to keep going strong with my snappy little elastic friends practically wiring my jaw closed 24/7. Every pain is worth it knowing it's getting me one step closer to being done with treatment!

metalmomma

#15 Post by metalmomma »