Is my palate VERY narrow? -anyone else with a narrow palate?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

Is my palate VERY narrow? -anyone else with a narrow palate?

#1 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

I was wondering, do you think my upper jaw is VERY narrow or do you think it is narrow but not too bad?
My ortho managed to correct my crossbite, which is great. But I keep worrying a bit about my narrow upper jaw....
Ortho says SARPE is not necessary anymore (he initially did recommend it but I refused), I hope he is right!
What is your honest opinion?

Anyone else here on this board with a narrow palate who just lives fine with this?

Greetings from Anna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SunshineRay

Re: Is my palate VERY narrow? -anyone else with a narrow pal

#2 Post by SunshineRay »

Hi! Youve seen my pic so you know that I have one too. I think you are fine....its not all bad having a small mouth!

Anna5

#3 Post by Anna5 »

Thanks for your encouragement, Sunshineray.
And yes, I know you also have a small palate and live fine with it!

Anna5

#4 Post by Anna5 »

Any one else who wants to give his opinion??? Or anybody else who also has a narrow palate?

samoorelaw

#5 Post by samoorelaw »

Your arch looks like mine, I think, and my ortho thinks my palate isn't narrow. So no, I don't think your arch looks narrow at all. Your teeth look great! Wish mine were longer on top.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Anna5

#6 Post by Anna5 »

Thanks!

Anna5

#7 Post by Anna5 »

Anyone else who wants to give his honest opinion?

samoorelaw

#8 Post by samoorelaw »

Hi Anna,

Just curious: what type of jaw surgery do you need? Honestly, I don't see any issues with your bite from these pictures, but then I'm certainly no expert.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Featheryy1221

#9 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I think your arch looks fine. It looks like it has a U-shape to it. :) Your arch actually looks a lot wider than mine was when I first started treatment and two of the ortho's I went to for consultations didnt see a problem with my arch (which was extremely narrow).
I've looked at photos from your journey and I think you've had great results so far. :) I know though you're thinking about getting surgery so I hope whatever you decide is what truly will make you confident in your smile. :)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Lalaloo

#10 Post by Lalaloo »

Your arch looks fine to me and you have very beautiful teeth. They are very nice shaped. I wish mine were as beautiful as yours.
I was thinking about your midline (i know from another topic that your ortho is working on your midline now)... Is it possible to be a little off because you are missing one of the bicuspids?

Anna5

#11 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

Thanks for your kind and encouraging messages!
It is stupid how my 'narrow' arch makes me so unconfident, whereas you all think it is not that narrow?
Lalaloo, I do indeed miss one teeth (a bicuspid of premolar) on one side. My ortho didn't mention it as the reason for my midline shift, but I think it is. I think I have the same problem as Tom Cruise! My ortho is not trying to correct it as much as he can, however I am afraid it will never be perfect. Fortunately, sirwired (a very wise member here on the forum) says that a midline shift is mostly not noticed be other people unless it is really huge, so I hope and trust he is right.
Featheryy1221 and Samoorelaw, thanks for your kind comments. Do you really think my teeth/bite are good enough so that I don't need/ warrant surgery? I could have surgery for my narrow palate (SARPE), but it is a bit late for this. Usually this surgery is done at the beginning of the braces treatment. Or I could get surgery to fix my canted smile and lip incompetence, which also still bothers me. I am also afraid that my open bite will re-open once my elastics are removed.
I am still not sure about this all. My ortho and surgeon don't recommend surgery anymore, so maybe I should settle for this, and live with what I have?

Anna5

#12 Post by Anna5 »

[quote="Featheryy1221"]I think your arch looks fine. It looks like it has a U-shape to it. :)

Do you really think my arch has a U shape and not a V shape? Anymore opinions?

jaime

#13 Post by jaime »

Anna5 wrote:
Featheryy1221 wrote:I think your arch looks fine. It looks like it has a U-shape to it. :)

Do you really think my arch has a U shape and not a V shape? Anymore opinions?
It looks very much like a U to me! I am hoping my upper jaw will look like yours after a few months in braces, I'm still rocking the V post-SARPE.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Bikerchick85

#14 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Anna5 wrote: Do you really think my arch has a U shape and not a V shape? Anymore opinions?
It definitely has a U-shape! I actually think your arch looks bigger than mine :( Jealous!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

Ambrosia80

#15 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Definitely a U. It looks perfect to me. I wish I had your arch!!
Damon braces- ceramic uppers, metal lowers

sentence: 15-18 months (Sept.-Dec. 2014)