Just Swallowed an elastic..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jtsang

Just Swallowed an elastic..

#1 Post by jtsang »

I know I am not going to die.. But it's gross...

SunshineRay

Re: Just Swallowed an elastic..

#2 Post by SunshineRay »

I've swallowed a TAD, which is a screw. :shock: It didnt hurt me so you should be fine.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

I think I've swallowed about 20 of the things at some point by not wanting to take them out just to have a snack...

jtsang

#4 Post by jtsang »

SunshineRay wrote:I've swallowed a TAD, which is a screw. :shock: It didnt hurt me so you should be fine.
Thanks sunshine! Makes me feel better already!! :D

jtsang

#5 Post by jtsang »

sirwired wrote:I think I've swallowed about 20 of the things at some point by not wanting to take them out just to have a snack...
I read somewhere that keeping the elastic on while you eat speeds up the teeth shifting... That's why I've been keeping them on.. Should I not? Maybe I should start a new post!!! :D

mapleleafman888

#6 Post by mapleleafman888 »

I've swallowed 2 now, perhaps it's extra B vitamin.

I would think that keeping them on would speed things up. One, because having them on for the duration of each meal means more time for the elastics to work. Two, I think the distance an open mouth creates puts more pull on the elastics and teeth.
Since day 1 I have eaten with them on, only time they come off is for brushing and flossing.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

jtsang

#7 Post by jtsang »

mapleleafman888 wrote:I've swallowed 2 now, perhaps it's extra B vitamin.

I would think that keeping them on would speed things up. One, because having them on for the duration of each meal means more time for the elastics to work. Two, I think the distance an open mouth creates puts more pull on the elastics and teeth.
Since day 1 I have eaten with them on, only time they come off is for brushing and flossing.
Ditto.. I am not a person of delayed gratification. I'll do almost anythings so I can get what I want sooner.. :D

Lorianne

#8 Post by Lorianne »

I've swallowed TONS in the few months I've been wearing them too. Also, lots of lumps of wax. I'm still alive, so I figured they aren't hurting anything!

TMJJill

#9 Post by TMJJill »

I had my share of swallowed elastics too. Especially when my dentist moved to using non-latex elastics. I'd go to sleep with 6 on and wake up with 2 because they snapped while I was sleeping. I finally had to beg for the others back.

I also managed to swallow 3 brackets with hooks. They were all on a crown. After the 3rd, the dentist decided we would just replace the crown later.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

djspeece

#10 Post by djspeece »

I got some of non-latex ones at my last visit and they just seem to lose their pull much quicker than latex. They also break easier during meals (although I generally remove them at meal time, sometimes I forget about them) so I have swallowed them from time to time. Latex ones as well. Yummy.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Leebie3

#11 Post by Leebie3 »

I too have swallowed a heap lol

My ortho told me they're only to come off for brushing.

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

Anna5

#12 Post by Anna5 »

I have also swallowed at least five!

sara2280

#13 Post by sara2280 »

I haven't had the pleasure of swallowing any elastics yet, to my knowledge, but I have had quite a few snap in my mouth while eating. I also had one snap while I was sleeping and woke me up. My elastics run vertically in the front of my mouth so they snap me in the lips so it stings a bit. Feel like I am flying through elastics though! What is the average amount o elastics you go through in a day? I have Manatee heavy gauge elastics but they feel like stretch out decently quickly within an hour or 2.

Valentina

#14 Post by Valentina »

I haven't gotten braces yet as I am still doing my research on them. I will say that the thought of having to wear rubber bands is kind of disturbing to me. I have a fear of swallowing them.

This thread kind of lessons my rubber band swallowing phobia...a little.

sara2280

#15 Post by sara2280 »

I finally swallowed one yesterday while eating...I survived